Home

TheSinner.net

Family of four needs housing in January-05

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

Family of four needs housing in January-05

Postby Kevin Diller on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:02 pm

Hi,

My wife and I and two daughters plan to arrive in St Andrews on 12-January-05 to begin PhD work. We are looking for a centrally located place to live. We have our details in with letting agencies, but there is not a whole lot available right now. If you know of anything that might be opening up we would greatly appreciate your letting us know.

Thanks!

Kevin & Gwen Diller
dillers@dillers.net
Kevin Diller

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 pm

[s]Unregisted User Kevin Diller wrote on 16:05, 23rd Nov 2004:If you know of anything that might be opening up we would greatly appreciate your letting us know.

Finding family accommodation in St Andrews should not be as much as a problem as it may seem initially.

It may be due to the manner in which you are presenting yourself to the letting agencies. Whereas "students" seeking accommodation at this time of year frequently encounter problems, those seeking longer-term rents who are researchers often find that lists of properties unavailable to undergraduate students become open to them. I would emphasize this, as well as your need to house a family (i.e. not house students who might, say, trash a house) in dealings with the agencies.

On a personal note, if you haven't encountered them already in your searches, I cannot recommend Inchdairnie Properties highly enough. Consummate professionals, I rented through them (also with a family) for 3 years without a problem.

Should you have any further questions or problems, either myself or the newly appointed SRC Member for Postgraduate Education, Mr David Bean, are at your disposal.

RJ Covino
SRC Member for Postgraduate Students
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby vickiangeleyes on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:26 pm

I might be able to help you. it depends how long you need accommodation for and how much you are willing to pay and what specifications would you like in your home?
vickiangeleyes

Return to Postgraduates