Home

TheSinner.net

Dates

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

Dates

Postby Sunflower on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:03 am

Anyone else notice that the dating scene for Postgraduates is a bit off here. I mean I know of lots of single guys and girls (postgraduates) and nothing seems to be going on for them. Any thoughts?
Sunflower

Re:

Postby b on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:38 pm

It will make all enjoy the town better.
b

mooooooo!

Postby teh cow on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:25 pm

I mean I know of lots of single guys and girls (postgraduates) and nothing seems to be going on for them. Any thoughts?

---

It's insanely difficult to meet other postgrads outside of your hall of residence (i.e. gannochy, deans court) or department. I mean, how do you do it? Societies seem to be packed with undergrads. Each dept's postgrads has it's favourite pub to hang out in.
etc

All of which gives you a dating pool of about 40-50 people. Not ideal, at all. The only way to increase that figure is to start sleeping with e.g. subwardens, that kind of thing. [1]

The postgrads who are getting to meet the most people (and thus have the best chance to hook up) are probably the ones living in e.g. new hall.

I see that some of the halls of residence in St Andrews have run speed-dating events (allegedly). I fancy trying that, simply for the sake of having done it, and also, since it slightly improves my chances of meeting a girl I like in that way.

I wonder if there should be a postgrad speed-dating event? hmmm.

Moo.

[1] as if anyone we know would do that ...
teh cow

I Agree

Postby Rilla on Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:51 am

We all see sad people in our departments (ie. who have no lives and research 22 hours a day). Hopefully we don't end up that, and please shoot me if I ever end up like that!

Love you lots, Happy Christmas!

[hr]
Anything War can do, Peace can do better
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:27 pm

I should just post my list of criterion up here and watch in total unsurprise as girls look at it and think I'm a bloody facist and post responses like 'you are never going to get a girl friend with an attitude like that'.

But thats ok cause I hate girls, right?

[hr]She's in a wheelchair,
But I don't care,
Cause she's a babe
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby teh cow on Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Maddog,

Did you ever follow up re: that girl in Edinburgh that matched your description quite closely that I mentioned to you?

oh... and a lame joke thing for rilla...

"Go, Rilla!!"

;)
teh cow

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:16 am

[s]teh cow wrote on 16:12, 16th Dec 2004:
Maddog,

Did you ever follow up re: that girl in Edinburgh that matched your description quite closely that I mentioned to you?

Yeah I appreciated that, but I only got about half way through the unbelievably long sign-up stuff before I got distracted by events in normal life. I might contact her when I get back from the US. That was a while ago though so she is probably snapped up by now. Outdoor-type chicks are in high demand in my experience. Competition is tough.

[hr]
She's in a wheelchair,
But I don't care,
Cause she's a babe
I listen to feminists and all these radical gals - most of them are failures. They've blown it. Some of them have been married, but they married some Casper Milquetoast who asked permission to go to the bathroom. These women just need a man in the house. That's all they need. Most of the feminists need a man to tell them what time of day it is and to lead them home. And they blew it and they're mad at all men. Feminists hate men. They're sexist. They hate men - that's their problem. ~Jerry Falwell
MadDog20/20

Hmm...

Postby lauremw on Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:52 am

[s]MadDog20/20 wrote on 14:27, 16th Dec 2004:

But thats ok cause I hate girls, right?

Hmm... You said it, not any of us. ;) joking, of course.

Anyway, Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!

[hr]
~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Rilla on Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:19 am

hi everyone sorry i dont have msn at hoem and cant figure out how to download it so i hope you're all well and see you soon and keep in touch etc. maybe ill figure it out soon and talk, if not, happy christmas and see you on the 28th!
Rilla

Re:

Postby teh cow on Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:24 pm

hey...

what did you write at 1 in the morning that was so good it had to be deleted first thing the next day?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

hope everyone has had a fun christmas.
teh cow

Re:

Postby lauremw on Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:42 pm

I'm curious too, Rilla, message me if you don't want it on a public board. ;)

Christmas in St. Andrews was boring, slept and took loads of aspirin for my back, and fell asleep talking to my mom on the phone. Go me! Hope everyone else had a good holiday!

[hr]
~*~*~*~
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~ Anais Nin
~*~*~*~
"Don't think dear, just do". - George Balanchine
lauremw

Re:

Postby Rilla on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:54 am

I've had a great christmas I must admit - I'm now allergic to my dog at home so I've spent it sneezing and taking pills. I've been out drinking for ... I think 8 nights in a row at this stage. Maddog's advice to not gain any weight has been ignored. Who am I to refuse to eat tasty Christmas food and drink my home made irish coffees? (heavy on the whiskey and cream and ... well just about everything bad in it really)

I'll be back this time tomorrow (who else will be about?)
(not htat ill get to check this probably til i get back to stand but i might tonight who knows)

Can't wait to see you all!

Oh, and going back to the original topic of this thread, if I have ONE MORE RELATIVE asking me about my (pathetic as we all know) love life I will actually scream. I've 2 family weddings coming up this year, and I think people at this stage are assuming I'm a spinster for life. (maybe Nigel was right....)
Although I will be a highly educated spinster. ;)
Rilla

Re:

Postby mdave on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:25 pm

It does seem like the pool's not very deep for us here--I do find myself largely limited to my hall and my program. I've got to the point where I'm (gasp!) actually chatting up undergrads in the pubs, or even (double gasp!) in the Bop!

[hr]"It is history which teaches us to hope" --R. Edward Lee
"It is history which teaches us to hope" --R. Edward Lee
mdave

Re:

Postby Director of Services on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:38 am

Just to say that we've got a few events coming up for postgrads. Look out for flyers under doors and in departments.

If you have any ideas, feel free to e-mial pghelp@st-and.ac.uk or doserv@st-and.ac.uk and we'll consider them.

Thanks,
Bonnie Ryder
Director of Services at the Students' Association
Director of Services

Re:

Postby MadDog20/20 on Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:21 am

Too few postgrads I think.

Girls, here is an idea. It is OK to date younger guys!!!!

But wait we have been through that before. You could always try boning the faculty.

And there is NOTHING wrong with spending 22 hours in the lab.

Also people, Edinburgh is not far away and there are hundreds of people our age there.

[hr]"I love you MadDog, you have a great attitude towards women."
IMAGE:www.st-and.ac.uk/~gfm2/steph.jpg
"Thanks Steph!"
MadDog20/20

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:52 am

[s]MadDog20/20 wrote on 01:21, 10th Feb 2005:

there is a million things wrong with that.
Rilla

Dating

Postby Jesser on Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:15 pm

I dont understand what is wrong with dating undergrads, dont limit yourself to just postgrads. Ok I know it is a bit different for girls in that many dont like to date younger guys but you dont have to date a 17 yo first year, what about 22 yo fourth years and stuff, they are not much behind where we are in our lives.
Jesser

Lab geeks

Postby ee1ah on Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:26 pm

[s]MadDog20/20 wrote on 01:21, 10th Feb 2005:[i]

Actually, there is something wrong with that: you are missing two hours.
ee1ah

dating

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:34 pm

for me it's just hard to find out if a guy i fancy is available.....without embarrassing myself.

Re:

Postby teh cow on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:01 pm

try signing up at www.thefacebook.com

encourage them to sign up too.

one of the options is 'single/in a relationship'

see what they write.
teh cow

Return to Postgraduates