Home

TheSinner.net

PhD Concerns

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

PhD Concerns

Postby Forbidden Donut on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:19 pm

I have just been accepted to take PhD in Theology at St. Andrews next fall. I am a little concerned with starting so soon, particularly because I need to perfect the necessary languages before I begin (Greek, Latin, French, etc…?). I've been trying to research what the three years of the PhD program is like but haven't had much luck. So, I'd like to ask, what is expected to be accomplished in the first year of study? Are there a lot of people that learn languages while they are doing the PhD, or will it be completely necessary that I perfect them before I begin?

Any other details about the PhD track is much appreciated. Thanks.
Forbidden Donut

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:22 am

Many PhD students do very little in their first year except learn how to be PhD students. It's a massive transition from both undergraduate work and taught postgraduate programmes. I would have though that you could learn languages as you go along, provided you're not starting from nil.

What's your thesis subject, by the way?

[hr]Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:04 pm

[s]Eliot Wilson wrote on 01:22, 4th Feb 2005:
Many PhD students do very little in their first year except learn how to be PhD students.

Indeed, language training could form a part of this student's mandatory "Postgraduate Skills Training" malarky that they're making them all go through nowadays.

Would stop him going through "Website building for Divines: God on the 'Net" or whatever such nonsense they're passing off as proper training modules. c.f. "Introduction to Tutorials and Assessment".
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:42 pm

[s]Unregisted User Forbidden Donut wrote on 02:38, 2nd Feb 2005:
So, I'd like to ask, what is expected to be accomplished in the first year of study? Are there a lot of people that learn languages while they are doing the PhD, or will it be completely necessary that I perfect them before I begin?

I can't really answer because I'm doing a Science PhD, but I imagine some aspects are the same. For starters, they wouldn't accept you if they didn't think you were able for the work. They dont expect you to be an expert before you begin - you are here to learn after all.

Re:

Postby Sunflower on Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi,

I am doing a PhD on Medieval and Modern Poetry, so next year I will be working on learning: Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse, Latin, Spanish, and German. The school offers language courses that don't count towards anything but are a great place to start. The best piece of advice I have been given is to just be stubborn...it is the stubborn people who get PhD not necessarily the smartest. Also, a good supervisor is good. The postgrad social scene requires effort to get involved and a good living place (living in dorms with other Graduate students helps) and on the sinner here you can email and get in contact with most of us individually to ask questions. What are you working on with Theology?
Sunflower

Return to Postgraduates