Home

TheSinner.net

Pay for Teaching as a Postgrad

For general discussion of postgraduate matters.

Pay for Teaching as a Postgrad

Postby New Postgrad on Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 am

Hi there,

I'll be entering St. Andrews in Fall as a postgrad. Can any of you current postgrads tell me how much postgrads are paid for teaching classes?

Thanks!
New Postgrad

Re: Pay for Teaching as a Postgrad

Postby jollytiddlywink on Thu May 28, 2009 11:05 pm

If you're coming over from the States as a PhD, then you may well be able to get some teaching work. I don't know what the pay for that is like (you could ask your supervisor) but I do know that the university currently pays 7.31 an hour for its casual contracts.
If you are coming to do an M.Litt or M.Phil, then you won't be doing any teaching, unless I am very much mistaken.
But I would suggest that you get in touch with your supervisor, who will know the details of how things work in your department, and also how you might go about applying for such work.
jollytiddlywink

Postby sgsg on Fri May 29, 2009 8:20 am

The current hourly rates are £14.38 per hour for demonstrating in laboratories, and £25.79 for taking small group tutorials (this includes preparation and marking time, and is therefore not as good as it looks). These rates increment annually in August, so will be slightly more for the next academic year. It is different in some arts subjects, e.g. in history, assuming you're here researching for a PhD, you're paid per class, in other words a certain amount per semester per class. That's a way of screwing you out of money, as you end up making a lot less than what you would from tutoring in a science department.
sgsg

Postby queen of scots on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes, for History at least, although the hourly rate of £25 looks good, the contract also states that you get a set sum per class which is to cover all preparation, marking, office hours, teaching hours (they allow you half an hour per tutorial group for preparation - ludicrous on weeks when you need to mark essays as this can take several hours per group). So really you need to teach a minimum of about 4 classes to make the preparation time worth it, and even then, once you've factored in all the time it takes, you're more realistically getting around a tenner per hour, and you don't get paid for having to hold an office hour (maybe not a problem if you're a PhD student in the Uni anyway, but a pain when you have to come in from outside the town). Cheap labour for the uni!

Oh and for History, you're not usually allowed to tutor in your first year of a PhD.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Postby niliatl on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Dear All

I'll be a PhD student in International Relations in September 2010 from France, I would like to teach if it is possible in my department if someone knows about the application process or thr suitable contact (department secretary or supervisor), thank you for updating me.

Many thanks

Nelly
niliatl

Return to Postgraduates