Home

TheSinner.net

Ideas for bands....

Re: Ideas for bands....

Postby AliceChalliner on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Zak wrote:A Torn Mind - http://www.myspace.com/atornmindband

Emailed me interested in playing at St Andrews.
What do you guys think?

Eiken wrote:Twin Atlantic

http://www.myspace.com/twinatlantic

it's like biffy, but...dare i say it, a bit better?
and they're incendiary live.

I like both of these....a bit emo maybe though?
how do we package bands like these though? if no one knows them, even if they're good we won't get many unless we can put them in a nice box-type thing like "ska ska ska" or "rocksoc live"....could we do a mini-festival type thing for st andrews day? get all these bands that don't fit into our boxes all on the same gig?? tie them together by them all being scottish?
AliceChalliner

Postby RandomMusings on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:53 pm

Speak to Matt Guest about potential help with funds if we want to do anything for St Andrews Day - since as he is co-ordinating the student side of the town celebrations or something.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Eiken on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:40 am

...I wouldn't say Twin Atlantic are emo.

i hate pigeonholing, to be honest - and a lot of people don't care what a band is "labelled as," so long as the tunes are good and the atmosphere's good.
“Procrastination is like masturbation; in the end you're just screwing yourself.”
Eiken

Postby cannulae on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Pigeonholing can be really useful though, for example pigeonholing Twin Atlantic as uninspired, unoriginal garbage.

If you guys are looking for decent bands who aren't overly expensive but in the real world would draw a crowd, how about properly good scottish bands e.g. Twilight Sad, Errors, Copy Haho, Dananananakroyd. Alternatively, if you can take a hit in quality, there is always Frightened Rabbit, who personally bore my boring face off, but loads of folk really like them.
cannulae

Postby AliceChalliner on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Eiken wrote:...I wouldn't say Twin Atlantic are emo.

i hate pigeonholing, to be honest - and a lot of people don't care what a band is "labelled as," so long as the tunes are good and the atmosphere's good.

True - they don't care what the label is once they GET to the gig...but if someone has never heard of a band before they're unlikaly to go unless there's some clear identity attached to the event they can strike an interest with. Even if you're into lots of styles of music if someone just says there's "a band" playing...where's the insentive for you to go pay to get in?

cannulae wrote:Pigeonholing can be really useful though, for example pigeonholing Twin Atlantic as uninspired, unoriginal garbage.

BE NICE....this is a friendly discussion, i won't delete the comment now but next time i will.

cannulae wrote:If you guys are looking for decent bands who aren't overly expensive but in the real world would draw a crowd, how about properly good scottish bands e.g. Twilight Sad, Errors, Copy Haho, Dananananakroyd. Alternatively, if you can take a hit in quality, there is always Frightened Rabbit, who personally bore my boring face off, but loads of folk really like them.

I'll look into them, thanks. :) (and no we can't take a hit of quality...I refuse to put on a rubbish band just cos they have a lot of mates/undeserved hype...and i mean this in an objective fashion. for example, I personally am not into Drum&Bass in a big way, but I've booked Pendulum (14th Feb tbc) cos I (like to think i) can recognise talented and inspired music when i hear it).

Keep the suggestions coming...

xAlice Challiner
SSC Music Officer
AliceChalliner

Postby cannulae on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Don't get me wrong, Frightened Rabbit are pretty fantastic compared to 99% UK bands, they're just not up there with Dananana, Copy, Errors, Youthmovies etc quite yet.

As for Pendulum... i'm an open minded guy, but I best keep my mouth shut on the issue, lest comments be deleted.
cannulae

Postby Zak on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Cannulae you also have to bear in mind that Musfund has to represent all types of music. Having listened to all those bands you mentioned they are all pretty similar sounding in the broad scheme of things, where as Pendulum is totally different. You only need to look at the fact ravesoc has been formed this year to see that style music is in demand. Also excuse my ignorance but i had not heard of any of those bands, where as i have heard of Idlewild (which im not a fan off myself) and Pendulum.

P.S - If your open minded check out www.myspace.com/rapeahoy
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Postby cannulae on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Zak wrote:Cannulae you also have to bear in mind that Musfund has to represent all types of music. Having listened to all those bands you mentioned they are all pretty similar sounding in the broad scheme of things, where as Pendulum is totally different. You only need to look at the fact ravesoc has been formed this year to see that style music is in demand. Also excuse my ignorance but i had not heard of any of those bands, where as i have heard of Idlewild (which im not a fan off myself) and Pendulum.

P.S - If your open minded check out http://www.myspace.com/rapeahoy

Yeah I appreciate that, but someone is asking for band suggestions, so there you go, the 4 most original, creative and all round entertaining bands in Scotland. Like you say, some people haven't heard of them, so someone has to suggest them. They're the obvious choice if a group of people are looking for Scottish bands to ask to play, and no one had mentioned them. It's not like these guys are niche market scenester bands. Twilight Sad and Frightened Rabbit both got great reviews on Pitchfork and have a pretty serious cult following here and in the States. Errors are the biggest band on Mogwai's Rock Action label whose album got great reviews across the board (and to be honest are dancey enough for ravesoc to appreciate) from NME, The Observer, Q wah wah wah, and Copy Haho are the closest thing to Pavement-esque good time 'rock' that Scotland has ever come to.

4 very different bands who I, and thousands of others, appreciate a lot. On the other hand, I would rather go to an X Factor Live show than listen to Pendulum, so i'm not gonna have any 'drum n bass' to recommend. (Not judging, I realise that stuff is pretty cool with 'students') But I stuck with what I knew, and offered opinions.

I'm not trying to force opinions on anyone, but people should listen to them because they're the cutting edge of British independent music. And they're fucking great.

Oh, and it takes a special kind of 'open-mindedness' to appreciate any grind core. Fair play on the offensive stakes though.
cannulae

Postby AliceChalliner on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 pm

AliceChalliner

Postby kate_m on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 pm

http://www.myspace.com/callelmusic

They're really good, are based in edinburgh, have played here before for small gigs and I'm sure would play here again....
kate_m

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Recomendation from phillipa (were apparently great at starfields "and the bassist is really hot")
http://www.the-gentlemen.co.uk/
AliceChalliner

Postby lizzie_liz on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 pm

They are a good band, loads of us on the bar were dancing away to them at Starfields, I also saw them at Leeds last year when they played the Unsigned tent and they got a really good crowd.
lizzie_liz

Postby AliceChalliner on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:17 am

AliceChalliner

Ideas for bands

Postby NuppyKaspKame on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:20 pm

wouldnt we all like to have such an idea....and as a matter of fact this post just remined me of one that has never been done before and can be humungus...i only dont have the capital for i

Besimple
PS. but if anyone does have one and doesnt mind sharing it...let us know
NuppyKaspKame

Previous

Return to Musfund