Home

TheSinner.net

Music In St Andrews: The Blues

Music In St Andrews: The Blues

Postby Blueswater on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Hey there everyone.

Let me introduce myself; My name is Richard and I am part of a blues band here in St Andrews called Blueswater. We play at various locations across town and I thought I would post here to spread the word to anyone with an interest in good music, particulary of course the Blues. Let's face it, everyone gets the blues.

Worried about essay deadlines? You got the blues.
Scottish weather getting you down? You got the blues.
Woke up with a hangover and don't want to move? You got the blues.
You woke up this morning and your baby's gone, you've been drinking whiskey all day long and you're gonna lose your mind? You definitely got the blues.
Wanna shake your moneymaker? It's still the blues!

The blues is about injecting as much emotion as possible into the songs you play, and thats what we aim to do! But if you think this all sounds very depressing, don't worry, not all blues songs are sad. It's kind of a celebration of your problems and a way to forget about them for a while and feel good. We also throw in some classic rock and blues rock tunes to mix things up a bit :)

As you may or may not know there is now a weekly blues open jam session every Sunday night in the union main bar. We aim to kick off around 9pm and we round things off at around 12:30. We are the core band and we'll be playing a few songs ourselves, but the main point of the evening is that everyone is welcome to come and join in. Bring your instruments! It's a great, friendly atmosphere and when a few drinks have been consumed everyone really gets into it. If you're looking for something to do on a Sunday night, it's a cool place to relax with friends and have a drink. (Please note there is no event this Sunday, the 26th Oct, due to Starfields)

The other thing I wanted to mention is another shameless plug (apologies!) about our weekly gig in the Byre's main bar. We play a chilled out blues set from 9 til 11 every Wednesday night. It's perfect to chill out after a hectic Boozeday Tuesday and if you are feeling like a drink, the Byre puts on some great drinks deals.

We also play random gigs around town, feel free to join our facebook group, "Bluesin' At the Union" to be informed! We will soon be playing the Couch, for example, and should be at Aikmans again in the near future.

If you're interested in music or just want to have a good time, I urge you to come along and get into the Blues!

Thanks

Blueswater

PS: If anyone wants to chat about the blues/music or find out more then just add me on Facebook, Richard Clark.
"If you don't think you got the blues, just keep on livin" - Buddy Guy

http://www.myspace.com/richardkclark
http://www.myspace.com/blueswater2008
Blueswater

Re: Music In St Andrews: The Blues

Postby Les_Paul on Tue May 12, 2009 1:06 am

Is this still happening every week during term time?
Les_Paul

Postby RandomMusings on Tue May 12, 2009 5:36 am

At the moment, this is not happening I'm afraid. We shall see whether it, or something like it, can return in the next academic year, but for now I hope some people respond to your other posting on a guitar club! I might be interested, but my guitars are currently in Manchester (which is not much use when I'm up here).
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Les_Paul on Tue May 12, 2009 6:57 am

Cool, get it up for next term?

I really hope to meet up with some people. Abertay and Dundee Uni both have really active music clubs/societies (so I am told) but I have yet to see or hear of anything guitar related at St Andrews. That's not to say there is and I have just missed it all......... :D
Les_Paul

Postby romy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:25 am

Hey Richard, im a singer, been singing since i was a little kid and i love blues and jazz if u guys play that genre of music as well, i was wondering is ur band looking for a singer cos id love to join? lemme know!
romy

Return to Musfund