Home

TheSinner.net

Censorship..... arrgh!

Comedy Soc - for comedy and fun.

Censorship..... arrgh!

Postby Tony Dunn on Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:02 am

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/feb04/taste.html

this link provides an interesting read on why we should not gag comedians.

There was a joke on here and it has been removed and not by me.

Do people really think it is nessacery to censor jokes, are we trying to protect those who haven't yet seen it a joke because we deem to be in bad taste.

The joke in question was about paedophilia, but i though it was funny. And thats just it, jokes are funny or not funny. They are never meant to be offensive and we shouldn't be looking at them in that light.

Am i being ridiculous- what do other people think?
Tony Dunn

The gift of laughter

Postby Blanche on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:32 pm

Thanks for your support, Tony. I posted my favourite paedphilia joke earlier and I hope those of you who managed to get a look at it enjoyed it. I would like to make it clear that I am not appealing against the decision of the Sinner moderators, since I enjoy using the Sinner and I respect the rules. However, my personal opinion is that censorship, especially censorship of humour, rarely futhers good understanding of the issues under discussion. Among the first things that Nazi propagandist Goebbels did when his party took power was to censor Jewish and other race jokes from German magazines because they made light of the issue of racial purity. Humour is a near-universal antidote the the excessive seriousness that underlies violence; if we're laughing we can't fight. I absolutely detest the pompous gravity with which the subject of paedophilia is always discussed in the media. If any of you saw the paedophilia special of the Brass Eye satire series a few years ago, it expertly ridicules the self-righteous frenzy into which people can work themselves over this particular issue, the natural conclusion of which is badly thought out vigilante attacks and unjustified restrictions on our liberty and privacy.

Thanks.
Blanche

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:19 pm

Perhaps you'd like to start this discussion on the main board? It'd probably be seen by more people there, and it's been a while since we had a good argument on there!

[hr]Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Pilmour Boy

Return to Comedy Soc