Home

TheSinner.net

Joining the poker club.

This board is the forum for the University of St Andrews Poker Society. Everyone is invited to post here regarding all matters poker! Also check here for latest society news and events - Poker Society website

Joining the poker club.

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:25 am

I have become addicted to poker on sky: Late night,World poker tour,celebrity poker etc.

I am interested in playing but was just wondering which game you play. Is it texas hold em like the tournaments or different. Also, can someone explain to me the rules of a limit game?

Do you guys intend to have a stall at the freshers fair. If so, I'll likely come along.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

its easy

Postby flanks on Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:22 am

first of all send me a cheque for £40.99

This is purely an administrative fee, and is pittance when you consider that over your time in university you will be competing for thousands of pounds.

second, send me another cheque for £200, and for this you will receive lessons, which is also a pittance as said above. You will learn the art of raising, bluffing, and getting called when you want to be called, and it is guaranteed that Christian will pay you off many times :P

As for limit, it is dead easy :P

Limit games will be advertised as "Limit a/b" a and b denoting amounts of money. For purposes of demonstration, we will say Limit £1/£2.

These numbers denote amounts that one is allowed to bet, at difference stages in the game. So say it is Texas, Limit 1/2. Before and immediately after the flop, you can only bet/call/raise in denominations of £1. After Turn and River one can only bet/raise/call in denominations of £2.

So for example, preflop you say raise, you make it £1 more, someone raises after you, is another £1. You cant exceed this amount in a raise, it is in fact the 'limit'. And same after turn/river.

Does that help?
flanks

Poker Society

Postby christian_harris on Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:33 am

Hi,

It would be great to have you along.

We're holding an event in Freshers week on the Thursday, but will also have a stall at the Societies Fayre.

Our email address is poker@st-and.ac.uk so if you have any questions feel free to post here, or email us.

Christian

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention what we play - it's generaly texas holdem, so just what you see on tv. However we will be introducing new games this year too - omaha for example - but we'll give plenty of lessons beforehand on these so everyone is confident.
christian_harris

Return to Poker Society