Home

TheSinner.net

Advice wanted...

This board is the forum for the University of St Andrews Poker Society. Everyone is invited to post here regarding all matters poker! Also check here for latest society news and events - Poker Society website

Advice wanted...

Postby christian_harris on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 am

Ok, I'm in a PL multi-table tournament, down to the last 3 tables but only the top 10 places pay.

I've got around 10-11k in chips with the blinds at 400-800 (I think - was a while ago).

I am in mid-early position and find AA. There's one limper and then it's folded round to me, so I raise the pot (perhaps a mistake as I should possibly just limp in and hope to be raised so I can reraise, but I digress...). Folded round to one guy who reraises me the Pot, folded back round to me so I call.

Flop comes all low, but all diamonds, I don't have the diamond, but I check my cards and quickl;y stick my chips all in hoping that he puts me on a high diamond. he ums and ahs and then calls, and turns over QQ including the diamond.

Obviously the diamond comes on 5th street so I lose out.

My question; could, or should I have checked on the flop and folded to a bet? Was I too in love with my hand, or was I right in thinking I was pot committed by then (especially bearing in mind only the top 10 places paid)?

Thoughts??
christian_harris

in my possible dodgy poker opinion....

Postby womble chris on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:43 am

personally, i think you did the right move (not sure if thats what you wanted to here :))

the way i play is that i wont considering the very unlikely such as him having two diamonds or hit trips. therefore the best im up against is a flush draw. if he does have a flush draw he will call as i would put him on two high cards. therefore by going all in he either folds, i win, or he calls, and im up against a flush draw.

alternatively (thinking about it in more depth)
i may check, then if he puts me all in i call, and if he checks then i get another free card to see if a diamond comes. if a diamond doesnt turn then i go all in. but assuming he doesnt check and he bets then i still call, pot odds et al.

its always going to be one of those tricky hands but i think considering it was a very good opportunity to build up a lot of chips to get you in a strong position for a top ten finish. After all this may be your best chance for quite a while.
womble chris

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:22 am

Like I said, my feeling what that if I check and he bets I more or less have to call, as for him to reraise me pre-flop he has to have something like a big pair - there's no way I could put him on 2 diamonds.
christian_harris

Re:

Postby flanks on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:35 am

It is a cold deck mate. Even when he has the diamond draw, you are a 3-1 favourite after the flop. Truth is that you should re raise preflop rather than just call him and then the decision is a non issue. Basically its a cold deck :P
flanks

Re:

Postby Rocky on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:44 pm

[s]flanks wrote on 12:35, 25th Aug 2004:
It is a cold deck mate. Even when he has the diamond draw, you are a 3-1 favourite after the flop. Truth is that you should re raise preflop rather than just call him and then the decision is a non issue. Basically its a cold deck :P

That's what I was thinking, why didn't you reraise him again preflop? I know some people don't like to go all in and put their place in the tourney on the line - even with aces, but I would have reraised the pot again.
Rocky

AA...

Postby flanks on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:16 pm

is never worse than 4-1 favourite preflop, learn that by rote :P Because you dont reraise you create the situation wherey ou have this decision. You should change it so that the pressure is on your opponent and not you, which is why it is always better to be a raiser than a caller :P
flanks

AA...

Postby flanks on Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:16 pm

is never worse than 4-1 favourite preflop, learn that by rote :P Because you dont reraise you create the situation wherey ou have this decision. You should change it so that the pressure is on your opponent and not you, which is why it is always better to be a raiser than a caller :P
flanks

Rocky

Postby christian_harris on Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:14 am

I suppose, in hindsight, I should just have asked Rocky about this problem...

After all, he knows every possible situation that arises with poker aces... given that it's the only hand he'll ever play!!
christian_harris

Re:

Postby Rocky on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:13 am

[s]christian_harris wrote on 09:14, 27th Aug 2004:
I suppose, in hindsight, I should just have asked Rocky about this problem...

After all, he knows every possible situation that arises with poker aces... given that it's the only hand he'll ever play!!

You know it's true!
Rocky

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:36 am

It's true, it's true! (as the amazing Kurt Angle would say)

When are you back in town Rocky?!
christian_harris

Re:

Postby Rocky on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:08 am

[s]christian_harris wrote on 10:36, 27th Aug 2004:
It's true, it's true! (as the amazing Kurt Angle would say)

When are you back in town Rocky?!

14th September. Yourself? I assume there will be a suitable venue for our poker games! I tell you my poker has been boring as feck for the last week or so...haven't been dealt aces once!
Rocky

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:26 am

LMAO

I finish at Betfred on the 17th, so will either be up that evening, or on the Monday I expect - depends on how things go with a girl I've been seeing I think ;)
christian_harris

Re:

Postby flanks on Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:47 pm

does she play poker?
flanks

Re:

Postby christian_harris on Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:27 am

LOL not yet but she wants to learn I think!
christian_harris

Return to Poker Society