Home

TheSinner.net

my theories (basic) on limit poker

This board is the forum for the University of St Andrews Poker Society. Everyone is invited to post here regarding all matters poker! Also check here for latest society news and events - Poker Society website

my theories (basic) on limit poker

Postby womble chris on Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:28 pm

having been playing limit poker 2-4, 3-6 and 4-8 loads in the last week (and won 500 dollars or so....at last this summer ive actually had a good week...no doubt lose 500 next week)

this may all be obvious, but this is how im trying to become better:

always watch the other players to see exactly how they play with different hands and bluffing etc i used only to play my hands and not think who my opponents were and whether they liked to bet to checks, willing to call lots etc.

minimise all losses - stop calling when (implied) pot odds arent in your favour

position position position - i never realy though about it but now realise its potential to get you free cards, whether to bet or not
plus, if the flop comes and 4 people see it, if the first or second guy bets i can now often put them on top pair with crap kicker or mid pair with okay kicker, as they must want to bet to get some people out, whereas if the had trips they would just check

also, if im down dollars at a table its not that im playing bad poker just my good cards havent come yet, so not to steal pots and call lots expecting my luck to change

again, this is all probably basic stuff, but its things i never bothered about and now my playing style is almost a computer at limit poker.

is there anything people would add to these, any good thoughts or dubious thoughts such as the ones above?

enjoy, chris (who hasnt cashed out in fear of the cash out curse)

edited to say last week means last 7 days playing as was away last weekend, edited to prevent any confusion, cheers, chris
womble chris

position :)

Postby flanks on Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:25 pm

My article mentions position most favourably :) I suspect that if i write this book then it will have a lot of time devoted to the importance of position also :)

Sounds good chris!
flanks

Website

Postby christian_harris on Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:16 am

The site should be up soon - the 2 of you have nice prominent positions on the home page :)
christian_harris

the website

Postby womble chris on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:38 pm

christian, do you know when the site will be up and running, would be interested to read flanks' article, pick up few tips!
womble chris

Return to Poker Society