Home

TheSinner.net

Top 10 pre-flop Hold'em Hands?

This board is the forum for the University of St Andrews Poker Society. Everyone is invited to post here regarding all matters poker! Also check here for latest society news and events - Poker Society website

Top 10 pre-flop Hold'em Hands?

Postby christian_harris on Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:24 pm

Would you agree or disagree with this list - and why?

Nb: I am unsure whether I have placed too much importance on the strength of pocket pairs in comparision to, say, AJ suited.

Let me have your thoughts:

AA
KK
QQ
AK suited
AK off suit
JJ
AQ

Chris
christian_harris

Hands

Postby jimmythesaint on Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:49 pm

I would put AK suited above queens, and the AQ suited higher as well. Could be talking rubbish though.
jimmythesaint

A face

Postby christian_harris on Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:59 pm

Yeah - it's difficult to guage the power of an Ace with a face card...
christian_harris

hope this makes some sense:

Postby womble chris on Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:23 pm

in my humble opinion it depends on the situation - if im low stake in a tourney id prefer to have 88 or 99 and go all in whereas if i had a large stake id rather have AQ and be able to play some cards.

with AQ i dont want to go all in as id expect a caller would have better but with 88 i just hope i havent hit a higher pair, but with some chips to play with AQ suited i find it can hit me a big hand whereas with 88 or 99 its more tricky imo.

same as a cash game, i prefer 88 or 99 if im in a 10 player game so if i hit my set on the flop i should make more at least 8 times my preflop call whereas if im in a 5 player game id rather have AQ as if im holding 88 or 99 im far less likely to make at least 8 times my preflop call.

just some thoughts...
womble chris

Heeeeeres Jonny!

Postby flanks on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:26 am

AA
KK
QQ
AK (suited or not, no difference)
AQ
JJ

So things to note :) First of all I regard JJ as a middle pair, not a high one. There are simply too many dangerous hands above it(even KQ, horrible hand as it is overcards it).

AQ is a far more playable hand than JJ, for 2 reasons. Firstly you know what you are aiming for with the hand, and secondly it is an easy hand to get away from if you are outplayed. In other words, you can minimise your losses with AQ in a way you cant with JJ. Hence why I rate AQ as a better hand.

AJ/A10/A9 et all, are all dodgy hands, so not in top10. The problem with these hands is that you do NOT know what you are aiming for. Obviously there are occasions to play it, just not a top 10 :P
flanks

Return to Poker Society