Home

TheSinner.net

Final Fantasy!

Konnichi-wa! For use by members and non-members to discuss things to do with anime, manga or anything else that comes to mind. No references to hentai please - have fun!

Final Fantasy!

Postby climhazzard on Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:32 pm

Not really sure if i would consider final fantasy anime, but i saw it posted somewhere and just thought I'd see if there were many Final Fantasy fans out there?

As for anime i haven't seen too much but i quite like furi kuri, cowboy bebop, evangelion (well the fights).

Recently discovered there was an anime for final fantasy but it has nothing on the game series, which must be the finest games ever made. I would also like to pose the question 'which is the best final fantasy?'.
climhazzard

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Final Fantasy VII is definitely the best one that i've played...i feel i should count I through VI considering i have VI but haven't got round to finishing it and i could get the others on my computer if i wanted...(i have this problem with playing old games...i'm too used to decent graphics ^^;;)

Have you heard about the ffVII movie? Advent children it's called and it's a sequel to the game with our good old hero Cloud in fancy realistic form - can't wait ^_^

I haven't seen the anime series although what i've heard about it doesn't sound too promising but then again neither does X-2 ^_-
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Shandy on Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:03 pm

I know I'm alone in this, but FFVIII is my favourite. I know the storyline was terrible, but I thought Squall was a very realistic character - finally an actual teenager! I haven't quite finished FFX yet, but I'm loving it so far. The FMV scenes are stunning.

The music for FFX-2 is awful compared to the previous releases.

And has anyone seen the Spirits Within movie? o.O

I've heard about the movie, Thalia. Judging from the trailer, it's going to be brilliant ; ) I wonder how long the English version will be though...

Edited to say... by the way, which one is your fave, climhazzard?
Shandy

Re:

Postby climhazzard on Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 am

I've had the same problem playing the older games, just can't seem to be able to get involved in them like the playstation ones. I keep getting several hours in and forgetting to go back. Its not the same without the awesome cut-scenes though.

As for the best final fantasy, my original thought was that it was VIII, but recently i ain't too sure. I seem to like different aspects from each game. I thought seven had the master of all storylines, as well as the most kick ass villain. I also thought the weapons were a great idea. I can't wait to see the movie sequel...have you heard any rumours that its supposed to tie into other final fantasies, like X and tactics?

Anyhow, despite the amazing storyline of VII, its characters weren't developed as well as VIII, or even nine. Eight has to have had the best characters. I thought Squall was the best main character there's been. jNot many characters in the party, but each of them were well integrated into the plot which i liked. I wasn't too impressed by the way in which characters like quina and cait-sith seemed to be dragged along the whole way and play very minor roles in the actual storyline.

I thought the characters in 9 were likeable...except maybe quina, but the best part of 9 was the way they involved the summons in the storyline. That made way for some really cool cutscenes. So for me its gotta be between VII, VIII and IX, but as to which one i just don't know.

Final Fantasy X for me was dissapointing, though i've still got some sidequests to do...but they take so much work. I am looking forward to X-2, despite its predecessor...it's still of the final fantasy series after all.

How do you know what the FFX-2 music is like?...i think 7 had the best music. I heard the release for advent children might be late 2004/early 2005, but sure on that at all. I'm hoping its better than spirits within, which seemed more like a sci-fi film than anything like anything from final fantasy.

Well I'd best try and revise something for social anthrology exam tomorrow...well today now.

PS - What do you think of FFXI and XII?
climhazzard

My experiences with Final Fantasy games

Postby General Porkov on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:47 am

Me, I've only just started Final Fantasy X-2. I got a Pre-owned copy of FFX2, along with a Pre-owned PS2 and memory card in WonderGoo, Tsukuba, Japan for about 21,600 Yen (110 pounds)
It's going to take some time getting used to, as it is in Japanese. There's supposed to be an International version with Lost Mission coming out in February!

On the other FF games, FF1's magic system is frustrating, as it very seriously limits the amount of magic you can use, making certain parts difficult due to this!
FF2 had a very unethical way of levelling up your character's HP. Get your characters to beat the crap out of each other (but not kill them)
FF5 had very customisable characters
FF6 had the loony-bin Kefka and Terra appears to change hair colour from the opening sequence (blonde) to green (in-game)
FF7: The first FF game I played, with main character with sword bigger than him and save the world from big doom
FF8: I hated its game mechanics and the Draw Magic system.
FF10: Nice characters and very nice feeling when you do an attack that does 99,999 HP of damage. I liked the turn-based and move people in and out of combat twist!
FFXI - I'm not touching it with an infinitely long barge-pole, as it's Online-only
FFX-2: Just started it. Need to get used to Japanese characters.
FF12: I'll have to check whether or not it's available in Japan!

Doom Lord General Dr Porko Porkov
Hail Ilpalazzo! Down with Il Pazzo!
Doom Lord In Japan Mission! 8 month duration!
Doom Lord General Porko Porkov
Grand Dumby of Doom!
General Porkov

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:50 am

I liked VIII as well...but i hated the fact that i found myself able to just work with three main characters and then the others were all too low level for me to bother using...plus the draw system was rather repetitive and i felt that the characters weren't varied enough - i like it when i look at my characters and realise that i've got, for example, a mercenary, a resistance leader, a pilot, a flower seller etc. all working together to save the world rather than in ffVII when it was basically just a group of teenage friends even if the characters are fairly developed.

And i found ffX rather lacking considering that it was on the newer console - i've found that the newer the game gets, the smaller the world you work in seems to be and ffX's world was teeny compared to VII. And the ending! The ending!! I'm actually rather glad that they made X-2 and i'm going to play it just in the hope that they round off the story a lot better than before - tidus's fate just didn't fit with the themes of the story to me :-/

I'm not going to get into online games either ^_^

And now i have to get back to revising for Anthropology as well, damn it's late ^^;

[hr][s]A Question
A voice said, Look me in the stars
And tell me truly, men of earth,
If all the soul-and-body scars
Were not too much to pay for birth.
---Robert Frost[/s]
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby climhazzard on Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:24 pm

wooooo! good to be done with exams for this week!

I couldn't agree more about the worlds becoming smaller and smaller. Oh how i longed for a world map on final fantasy X...what a dissapointment. Wasn't too keen on the system for VIII either. I think VII had the best system, materia was just straightforward and cool. Didn't you think Squall was cool even if you weren't so bothered about the rest of the group?

Oh yeah, you've seen the trailer for
Advent children right? do you know who the guy with the short white hair is or who the guy in the chair is?...although i'm not sure I'd rather find out anything now or till i get to see it.

did anyone else like chocobo hot and cold in FF9 or was that just me?
And who was harder to beat, Emerald or Ruby weapon, and how did you do it?
And has anyone fought penance or Nemisis and beat them?
And may as well ask how you beat omega in VIII while i am at it?
Better stop now, lunch calls...
climhazzard

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:05 pm

I did like Squall...i loved the bit when he carried Rinoa after she collapsed...he's so sweet...though i despised laguna...hated playing as him...

I don't actually *know* who the characters are but when i saw the trailer one thing did occur to me...didn't cloud end up in a wheelchair after being in the lifestream? maybe our good old hero didn't kill sephiroth as dead as we all thought ^_-
And i'm guessing the guy with the short hair is some sort of relation to sephiroth...a clone maybe?

chocobo hot and cold was fun! ^_^
My brother has a cheat...well not so much a cheat as like the perfect materia combinations...for emerald weapon where you make a couple moves then u can just leave it for 20 mins and the guy's dead - i loved that but i can't remember what he used, i'll have to ask him when i talk to him later ^_^

[hr]
[s]A Question
---Robert Frost[/s]
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Shandy on Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:32 pm

I haven't heard that the VII movie sequel tied in to any other ffs, I've been trying to keep up with the news but all I've seen is the trailer. I wonder if they'll bring Tifa into it, or Aeris somehow, seeing as she seems to be so popular! As for the guy in the chair... I was assuming it was Sephiroth, and the guy with the short white hair was one of his minions. Whatever happens, it's GOT to be better than Spirits Within...

I know what the music for FFX-2 is like because I've seen the FMVs where Yuna sings. They feel like bubblegum pop to me, or maybe my expectations were just to high, judging from previous stuff like Liberi Fatali, One Winged Angel, Suteki Da Ne... and I gotta admit, I did like Eyes On Me ^^ Doing a random search, you can listen to one of the FFX2 songs, Real Emotion, on this site - http://paramax.perfect-stranger.net. Really awful stuff.

I hated Laguna too. Especially when you got to a really good bit of the game with the main characters, and suddenly you'd be drawn into the alternate-Laguna world. Really irritating. I laughed when Squall said "I dreamt I was a moron." Speaking of Squall, I think he's the best character Square have had to offer too... I mean, he's your average 17 year old - he doesn't want to share problems, or be a leader, or have responsibility. But I've gotta admit, I did like the others too (excluding Quistis) - Selphie was intriguing. On the one hand she was this sweet cheery little girl, on the other hand she had an obsession with grenade launchers and blowing things up o.O

I beat Omega but I can't remember my strategy now... I just remember I had really high levels. One of the things that annoys me in FFX is that you can't take some time off from the quest to improve your levels eg. in the training centre, you have to just do it in the middle of the quest. Mine are really low at the moment and I've got a big Seymour battle coming up -_-

Didn't you like the FFX ending, Thalia? Although I didn't want it to happen, I found it really touching, I kind of got the impression throughout the game that Tidus wasn't going to be sticking around...
Shandy

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:09 pm

*yeah, this has spoilers if you haven't played the whole of ffX*

It wasn't that he didn't stick around...i could've lived with him not sticking around...i could've lived with it *if*, and this is an if that just makes me think Tidus is a total idiot, *if* he had told the others what was going to happen to him and actually made some attempt to break away from his fate.

Wasn't that what he wanted Yuna to do? There she was, going on this quest, knowing she was going to die, and together they all found another way to defeat Sin and break the cycle. Tidus knew he was going to fade away and he didn't say a word, nor did he make an attempt to become truly alive (in a world where dead people can wander around like death's a minor inconveniance i don't see why a dream couldn't feasibly become reality).

I just think it would've added an extra dimension to the plot which was rather lacking in the first place, even if all it did was establish that sometimes you can't get what you want and people have to die. It was the fact he didn't *try* that bugged me, really...

[hr]
[s]A Question
---Robert Frost[/s]
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby climhazzard on Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:51 pm

*Again with the spoilers for FFX*

I completely agree with what you said about the end of FFX! The further into the game i got the more sure i was that Tidus was going to come to a bad ending. By the time i reached the end it wasn't even surprising to see him go, but I'd kept thinking 'maybe something will happen at the end and things will work out'. I didn't like the fact that Yuna and Tidus both just take a step back at the end and let each other go. I couldn't help thing that would be like Squall just leaving Rinoa after they'd landed the Ragnorak. I thought the whole point of that part in final fantasy 8 was completely contrary to the end of X. Its like Squall fights to get Rinoa back, but Tidus and Yuna just accept there losses. I didn't like. So thats what you get for saving the world eh? some crap fate like that. Arg! The injustice of it all...i'm usually one for happy endings, lol
climhazzard

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:32 pm

Hehe, found out what my brother used to beat emerald weapon:

Knights of the round (at least level 2) + Hp absorb
Mime + Counter (has to be mastered.)
Phoenix + Final attack

You have all the characters dead except one of them, equip that materia on them, use knights of the round, that gets you hp back cos of hp absorb, then when they're attacked they automatically counter with mime, which means doing knights of the round again and healing yourself again in the process, emerald eventually does a 9999 attack, you die and do phoenix as a final attack, bringing yourself back to life. then you have to start it over again by doing knights of the round.

Works like a charm apparently ^_^

And i've been looking at pics and info for FFXII - all looks very pretty but there's only info about four characters so far and the main guy looks even more girly than tidus did imo although the other guy looks cool ^_^
I have high hopes that for this one there's a big huge world to explore as well as pretty graphics...

[hr][s]A Question
---Robert Frost[/s]
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

FFXII

Postby climhazzard on Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:19 pm

I heard somewhere that XII is meant to tie in with tactics. Has anyone seen the trailer for it? apparently the weird knight looking guys...judges or something, are meant to have some connection to tactics, though i ain't played tactics so i dunno if theres any truth in that. The big knight guys in 12 however do look look really cool, and its the final fantasy i am most eagerly awaiting at the mo, seen as its not of the X variety or an online game. Although i can't see me playing final fantasy XI i thought the trailer for it looked pretty cool.
climhazzard

do ever c tidus???

Postby brother on Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:37 pm

ive got ff6,8,9,10 and 10-2 and finished them all but i cant get the alternate andings on 10-2.
i mean, i didnt favour tidus in 10 but now that hes gone i really wanna find him........
it sucks....
does anyone know if u c tidus again?
brother

final fantasy X-2

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:18 pm

I have also completed final fantasy X-2 along with the rest but have still to achieve the alternate endings. I found X-2 was rather dissapointing, offering too much empahasis on side quests, with only a very thin story line. Attempting 100% completion would involve tediously working my way through the game once more and to what ends i do not know. I have heard that there is some ending in which Tidus is involved, wich somehow relates to the whistling you hear when you first enter the farplane. I haven't a clue if that's true and if it is, if it is worth the effort needed to see it.
Did you complete the cloisters and get all the dresspheres when you were playing it?

Re:

Postby Shandy on Sun May 09, 2004 1:16 pm

The 'perfect' ending does have Tidus... which includes a really stunning FMV.

Besides all the other little sidequests you have to accomplish, yes... there should be a cutscene where Yuna&co walk across a field in the farplane. You have to press X to hear a whistle. Then you answer 'yes' to the Fayth's question.
Shandy

Help with FF bosses.

Postby Vida on Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm

did anyone else like chocobo hot and cold in FF9 or was that just me?
And who was harder to beat, Emerald or Ruby weapon, and how did you do it?
And has anyone fought penance or Nemisis and beat them?
And may as well ask how you beat omega in VIII while i am at it?

Hot and cold was fun. :P

Emerald was harder cos he had that move that did 9999 damage to all characters and so you had to use final attack materia, You didn't need final attack to beat Ruby. However I heard if you have less materia then the 9999 attack isn't as strong but true or not I do not know. (Thalia posted materia combo to beat them)

I have not yet got to Penance or Nemesis, a friend of mine has beat them though. If you really can't beat them then just get Yojimbo's Overdrive up and pay him a boat full of gil. ^-^

Omega was easy. Make sure to have Lioneart for Squall, some Aura magic and some rare cards. I think if you use card-mod abaility you can turn the Gilgamesh card into 10 holy wars, which make your party invincible for a while.
Use Aura on Squall so he can use his limit breaks then use a holy war. Blast away with everything you've got until the holy war wears off. Aura might wear of too, so use another Aura and holy war. (Aura first, you can't use it on invincible characters)
After a while he dies.

I know you didn't ask but I'm assuming someone here will have some trouble with Trema from FFX-2.
Have someone master Gunner and equip that person with a CatNip (Can be found on the 40th floor of Bevelle)
Then have the other characters a Gambler who knows Bribe and equiped with a speed thing so they get first move and a Dark Knight.
Enter the fight with Paragon and have the Gambler bribe it with a million gil. Now Trema, Have the Gambler turn into a Dark Knight. Use Stamina Tonics to double everyones HP then have the dark knights cure each other. When the gunner dies use a pheonix down. Her life will be in yellow, use trigger happy. The catnip makes every hit 9999, if you also equip the gunner with something that has autohaste she will get more attacks in making the battle shorter. Just keep healing with items and pheonix downs on the gunner and once you've used trigger happy enough times he'll die.

Anyway, chances are I'll never come back here so bye byes! (I was searching for info on Nemesis for some forums I help run when I came across this thread. (www.ff-flare.5u.com))
~ Vida.
Vida

Real Emotion

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:46 pm

[s]Shandy wrote on 15:32, 16th Jan 2004:
I haven't heard that the VII movie sequel tied in to any other ffs, I've been trying to keep up with the news but all I've seen is the trailer. I wonder if they'll bring Tifa into it, or Aeris somehow, seeing as she seems to be so popular! As for the guy in the chair... I was assuming it was Sephiroth, and the guy with the short white hair was one of his minions. Whatever happens, it's GOT to be better than Spirits Within...

I know what the music for FFX-2 is like because I've seen the FMVs where Yuna sings. They feel like bubblegum pop to me, or maybe my expectations were just to high, judging from previous stuff like Liberi Fatali, One Winged Angel, Suteki Da Ne... and I gotta admit, I did like Eyes On Me ^^ Doing a random search, you can listen to one of the FFX2 songs, Real Emotion, on this site - http://paramax.perfect-stranger.net. Really awful stuff.

I hated Laguna too. Especially when you got to a really good bit of the game with the main characters, and suddenly you'd be drawn into the alternate-Laguna world. Really irritating. I laughed when Squall said "I dreamt I was a moron." Speaking of Squall, I think he's the best character Square have had to offer too... I mean, he's your average 17 year old - he doesn't want to share problems, or be a leader, or have responsibility. But I've gotta admit, I did like the others too (excluding Quistis) - Selphie was intriguing. On the one hand she was this sweet cheery little girl, on the other hand she had an obsession with grenade launchers and blowing things up o.O

I beat Omega but I can't remember my strategy now... I just remember I had really high levels. One of the things that annoys me in FFX is that you can't take some time off from the quest to improve your levels eg. in the training centre, you have to just do it in the middle of the quest. Mine are really low at the moment and I've got a big Seymour battle coming up -_-

Didn't you like the FFX ending, Thalia? Although I didn't want it to happen, I found it really touching, I kind of got the impression throughout the game that Tidus wasn't going to be sticking around...

question about final fantasyX

Postby marcus on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:58 am

i feel as a great final fantasy fan to know as much as posible about all the ff game. the other day a friend tryed to convince me that there is an alternate ending to ffX. i know this is not true but would like to know if anybody knows anymore to this.
marcus

Return to Project Anime