Home

TheSinner.net

Bye Bye Barrowlands

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Bye Bye Barrowlands

Postby El Daneo on Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:56 pm

Anyone who regularly goes to Glasgow for gigs may like to know that the Barrowlands (perhaps the best venue in Scotland) will be shut and knocked down because...

Luxury flats are to be put up.

What a bunch of arse, and no, I don't know when - soon(ish).

Whilst Glasgow will still be the best city for live music in Scotland - my opinion of course - this is a serious blow to the rock scene there.

Whilst such small venues such as Barfly and King Tuts are excellent for more extreme and new and upcoming acts in all that is Rock and alternative, they are too small for bands that attract a larger following.

The Carling Academy is an adequate venue, although I wouldn't say it was one of the best - being more suited to theatre and the like, such as the upcoming Henry Rollins Spoken Word event.

That really leaves The QMU, the Garage and the Cathouse - all reasonable venues but ones that lack the instant acoustics of the Barrowlands and also for most events attract more 14 year olds than the average bottle of buckfast.

Then there is the Glasgow SECC that although gives us some of the biggest and most bands in the industry - from Rush,Pearl Jam and the Offspring to Slayer and Slipknot in more recent times - it is the WORST venue I've ever been too, and many would agree I think?

The acoustics are terrible and the stage looks tiny in relation to the gigantic rectangular venue. - Although at the Counting Crows gig a year or so ago they had the sense to corner off half the venue - but then wouldn't they have been so much better at the Barrowlands (they played the Carling Academy the following year btw)

Anyway, just thought all you gig goers should know...

Danny

Oh, and Terrorvision are reforming for a tour. That's always good - I remember organising RockSoc's gig to see their final show in Dundee and our driver got to meet the band.
El Daneo

Re:

Postby Simon on Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:21 pm

It's a fuckin disgrace. The Barras ballroom is an inrtegral part of Glasgow culture - not just for rock gigs. It goes back generations. I remember my first fiancee's father, who grew up in the east end, reminiscing about it the first time I ever met him.

where else are you ever gonna find a venue that good? (and you'll never find a sptnug floor like that again!) Only one that can ever compare is the Marquee in London, the old one, not the crappy place they have now, and that's long gone too.

Most of my musical history can be traced through that place. I've lost count of the number of bands I've seen there.

I presume there's no "Save the barras" campaign that is trying to rescue the place?

Slainte, Barras! You'll be missed. :'(
Simon

Re:

Postby Scellanis on Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:27 pm

Oh no, thats very sad...I loved the Barrowlands, it was a great venue...

[hr]IMAGE:userpic.livejournal.com/13853292/2477042

[s]This image is copyright to Scellanis and may not be used without her permission. Visit http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/s/o/ ... onkem.html to see more...[/s]
IMAGE:userpic.livejournal.com/13853292/2477042

[s]This image is copyright to Scellanis and may not be used without her permission. Visit http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/s/o/ ... onkem.html to see more...[/s]
Scellanis

Re:

Postby pea on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:50 am

Woah, I seem to have missed this thread somehow, til now. That's awful, the Barras is the best venue in Glasgow! It just won't be the same. =(

[hr]I'm a little pea... I love the sky and the trees.
[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/ElegantPink/recenttracks/GeoRho.gif[/img]

I'm a little pea, I love the sky and the trees...
pea

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:22 am

that is awful. the barrowlands is one of the best rock venues in the world. every rock band ive seen there say its their favourite venue in the world.
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Portly Steve on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:57 pm

This is seriously fucked up, seen many a great gig there, the last tour of the original Sepultura, Machine Head before they went shit, christ even the bloody Levellers.

This is a very bed thing and will be sorely missed
Portly Steve

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:09 pm

Several of the best nights of my life have been spent in the Barrowlands ballroom. I'll miss it. I pity the poor sod who buys a "luxury flat" there anyway, not exactly the nicest area in the world is it?
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby theflirt on Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:49 pm

Are you sure??
I thought it was a listed building, though not that attractive, it has a lot of history. I really hope it isnt, Glasgow will be losing its best venue....i went to my first gig there...Travis, my last was SOAD...my god that was yages ago!!!!
i really hope it isnt :(
oh pants
theflirt

Re:

Postby El Daneo on Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:29 pm

[s]theflirt wrote on 23:49, 29th Nov 2004:
Are you sure??
I thought it was a listed building, though not that attractive, it has a lot of history. I really hope it isnt, Glasgow will be losing its best venue....i went to my first gig there...Travis, my last was SOAD...my god that was yages ago!!!!
i really hope it isnt :(

I am pretty sure. It's been in several local newspapers here in Glasgow and through the voice of the general public of rockers (ie all those in Solid Rock and the Cathouse) for a month or so now.

If for some reason it's not going to be knocked down then you can blame Rev who first heard that the Barras was being refused its licence (and hence had nowhere to buy his shrooms from) and then found out that the Barrowlands would also go for the evil that it these luxury flats. (that none of us in glasgow can afford anyway.

Danny
El Daneo

Return to Rocksoc