Home

TheSinner.net

Rock karoake

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Rock karaoke

Postby Haunted on Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:04 pm

Just a crazy drunken idea I had. Is it possible? It would be sooooo cool
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby David on Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:05 pm

seconded!
David

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:56 am

I did Indy karaoke at the Leeds festival so the principal is possible but how do you go about karaokeafying tracks?

[hr][s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:49 am

[s]The_Farwall wrote on 09:56, 22nd Nov 2004:
I did Indy karaoke at the Leeds festival so the principal is possible but how do you go about karaokeafying tracks?

Unfortunately, there's no real way of deleting the vocal track from a normal CD to be played... However, with a bit of clever tweaking, it'd be possible to turn the mid-level range volume down a bit and get the mike level slightly louder... very tricky to do, but not impossible. You'd still hear the vocals from the track if the person wasn't singing it exactly in time, though - which doesn't allow for much 'creative input' to the song (looking at Benedict, here...)

Will think about the technical aspects, and maybe next term (note I said maybe) we could have a wee bit of Rock Karoake...

[hr]
I am not your saviour, I am just as fucked as you.
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:55 am

or perhaps buy some karaoke CDs with a high proportion of decent rock tracks on (may need a bit of discussion that) & just play those. lyrics could be read off a piece of paper with a large font.
benedict

Re:

Postby David on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:12 pm

i found a kareoke program for the computer!

it uses cheesy midi files but should sound ok if u have a decent sound card
http://www.vanbasco.com/

and you can downlaod tons of rock songs all with lyrics
David

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:13 pm

Having people bring along a CD then cutting out the vocals sounds like a good idea to me. That way everyone could do whatever obscure stuff they want
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Simon on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:41 am

[s]Haunted wrote on 21:13, 22nd Nov 2004:
Having people bring along a CD then cutting out the vocals sounds like a good idea to me. That way everyone could do whatever obscure stuff they want

Good idea, but you'll need a very good EQ to do it. Specially if you look at the difference between say, Slayer and Evanescence. If it works, then I tip my hat to the sound people. Think it'll be tricky though.

The whole concept's a great idea though. Last time I had a chance to do anything even vaguelly rock at a karaoke was a Chattan ball many years ago wen we did a death metal vocal version of Surfin' USA. Suffice to say, the bulk of the crowd were non-plussed :D
Simon

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:47 pm

There are Rock karoake's available as I've seen them play in Glasgow

Maybe you should ask the karoake man in the union if he can give you any contacts.

He does after all have Nirvana's You Know Your Right on his set list - I've seen Benedict sing it.

Altogether now

"Paiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin"

Danny

Re:

Postby David on Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:08 pm

i jsut thought, I have qute a few rock backing tracks without lyrics (I'm a guitarist) maybe they'd be useful
David

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:26 am

[s]David wrote on 15:08, 23rd Nov 2004:
i jsut thought, I have qute a few rock backing tracks without lyrics (I'm a guitarist) maybe they'd be useful

Depends how 'backing' they are, if you're a guitarist/got them off guitar magazines etc, are they not sans lead guitar as well as vox?
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby David on Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:37 pm

the mag I get is total guitar, which usually has 2 versions, one sans vocals and one sans lead and vocals
David

Re:

Postby yeees on Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:58 pm

there is going tobe a rock kareoke sometime in december in dundee,i cant remember where tho!
yeees

Return to Rocksoc