Home

TheSinner.net

Does anyone here like punk?!?!??!

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Does anyone here like punk?!?!??!

Postby Keri on Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:24 am

I still havent found anyone here that likes punk or ska - sniff!

are there any punk nites here at all?
Keri

Re:

Postby TheMadBear on Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:28 am

Depends what kind of punk. I kind of like Sham 69, Buzzcocks, the Damned, The Slits, Undertones, The Jam etc. Then again a bit of Rancid, Early Offspring albums, Less than jake and NOFX never hurt anyone.

But blink 182 on the other hand (gah!).

[hr]Another drink Mr. Walsh?

<>
TheMadBear

Re:

Postby James James James Magnus on Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:16 pm

I had never even thought as classifing Blink 182 as punk, althought I've only ever heard there singles not there albums. Who classifies them such?
James James James Magnus

Punk

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:21 pm

Again it depends what you classify as punk. I'm into the more hardcore punk. Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I, Dead Kennedys, Slapshot,Fugazi, S.O.D, M.O.D, Blood For Blood, Bad Brains, MDC, etc you get the picture I think!
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:23 pm

Though I know most of the stuff I like will rarely be played. LOL
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby brizbaz on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:47 pm

Me, I like punk too.
Although my collection
is somewhat blighted with "pop-punk".

*rant begins*

However, these bands were just simply punk before they sold more than six albums and everyone decided to hate them.

*rant ends*
brizbaz

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:57 pm

I've always prefered the term 'Jock Rock' for bands like Blink182. As for punk, I like but don't own a lot of the more recent punk/ska stuff and I big fan of 'proper' 78 style punk, Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, The Undertones & especially The Clash.
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

re: my ac. mom

Postby TheMadBear on Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:29 pm

6 albums doesn't mean that everyone hates them, usually just means that they're running out of classic material. Whilst I still like the Stones and Pearl Jam, they never can live up to their first few albums.

And I don't think that anyone sells out in their music so to speak, if they sell out for money, good on them, as long as their tunes are just as good.

For example I don't care for the Offsprings last to offerings, but I do like the first four albums, the third being Smash, sold over 11 million albums, still it was a great punk album.

If someone thinks that a band are getting to "pop" because they are in the charts they should also realise at the same point that the kids buying them are likely to delve into the bands earlier stuff and then from there onwards.

Rock in the charts is a good thing.

(and I think Nirvan's single when released on Monday is going straight to number one)

<>
TheMadBear

Re:

Postby Mark on Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:51 pm

Punk as a movement (in the '70s...both UK and UK varieties) gave the music industry a much-needed boot up the arse, but frankly didn't leave a legacy of that many classic records. Never Mind the Bollocks... is pretty damn good, albeit overrated, and the Clash didn't do a truly poor album until Cut The Crap...the Ramones' first few are fantastic, ditto New York Dolls, etc., but generally 'classic' punk tends to be a singles rather than albums tag. See Sham 69 (Hurry Up Harry's great, the rest are pretty shite really), The Undertones (although their singles collection is worth having, they didn;t do a truly great album, IMHO), The Damned, The Stranglers, and many many others. The other great 'punk' bands were really more new-wave/early alt.rock, if we're honest. Television, Patti Smith, Blondie, The Jam, Joy Division, and a whole load more tend to get lumped in with punk despite having little to do with it musically.

Oh yeah, and Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, et al were generally mighty, but had little to do with punk as most people see it (i.e. UK/New York-based). It was generally more of an angry, extreme style, which, while fantastic, can't really be compared with the likes of the Ramones or the Sex Pistols.

I'm not going to comment on '90s punk, 'cos it's a whole different genre. But there you go.
Mark

To me favourite son!

Postby brizbaz on Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:39 pm

Yeah, sorry son, just having a rant. I was merely commenting on the fact that, generally, people belonging to the whole rocksoc part of society believe that "popular" equals bad/shite/evil/commercial" these bands can't help it if they become popular when their music suddenly becomes what the general public want to listen too. I wholeheartedly agree with your point about kids getting into popular rock/punk music.
I'm just fed up of hearing people say "Oh yeah. I bought their first album, like, four years ago, but their new stuff sucks, they're just SO popular these days!" (I hasten to add that some bands which reach overnight popularity seem to do so with their worst material, but not all of these bands do this, IMHO).
Also, a lot of people seem to forget that the Sex Pistols were actually a manufactured band plucked from various clubs and pubs in the embryonic punk scene in London at the time. Not really all that punk is it? Not that I think their music is/was bad, it's just they're maybe not the anti-establishment heroes that everyone thinks they are. Seeing as they were created as a cash cow for that funny looking bloke whose name I can't remember and as a mobile advert for the shop "SEX".

*rant number 2 over*
brizbaz

Re:

Postby Cloud on Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:35 pm

I personally think 90s punk does actually have a lot to offer, you just have to pick the right stuff. Like every genre of music thats ever been created, 9 out of 10 bands are awful! And unfortuneately thats usually the bands most people have heard of.
Bah, culture.

Examples of good recent punk bands:

SUBLIME
AFI
MISFITS
DROPKICK MURPHYS
RANCID
REFUSED
THE OFFSPRING (as Danny, i think, said earlier: the first four albums are excellent, the others suck)
MURPHYS LAW
FLOGGING MOLLY
SICK OF IT ALL
early RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
ROCKET FROM THE CRYPT
SMASH MOUTH (kind of)
BAD RELIGION
TIGER ARMY

and so on
and so on
and so on

These bands are all good and they all offer a different side of punk: AFI & Misfits are more gothic and creepy, Dropkick Murphys & Flogging Molly are heavily influenced by Celtic music (DKM have an excellent bagpipe player called Spicy McHaggis!) Rancid are more reggae and ska, Tiger Army are rockabilly, Chili Peppers are more funk, Sick Of It All, Murphys Law & the magnificent Refused are hardcore punk, and the utterly fabtastic (thats right, fabtastic) Sublime are smooth Jamaican dub.

Depends what you prefer I guess

Point hopefully proven
Cloud
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:51 pm

I agree with Cloud there are some fantastic 90's punk bands. although some of them were actually formed in the mid 80's. sick of it all 86' Muphy's Law around the same time I think. But that's not importsnt, what is though is that punk comes in many forms. I personally am not into the newer offspring, rancid type stuff, or the old british punk, but thats just me. I think it all counts. Punk has expanded and changed since the days of say the stooges, or the sex pistols. You have bands like snapcase, hatebreed, etc who are on the more hardcore punk/metal side of things. you had new wave stuff such as blondie, or the devo. it all counts. I guess it depends on what your pown perception of punk is, Too me its Slapshot, sick of it all, agnostic front, misfits, black flag, hatebreed, earth crisis, hell even weezer and that whole sort of emo type stuff count as punk as well. But thats just my opinion.
Fugaziboy

...not forgetting

Postby Blessed Benediction on Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:12 pm

...The New York Dolls, who were one of the main influences on the Sex Pistols. The Cramps were/are quite a good punk band too.

[hr]Blessed is he that cometh...
Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:50 pm

just thought id say that the new Pearl Jam album (RIOT ACT) is way better than any of their others. So a band can still be good after that many albums.

I've been a fan of Pearl Jam for ages and have all their albums (other than all the live cds for each seperate show!), so i'm just pointing out that i'm not someone who has just heard the new album and not anything else really.
It is just personal opinion tho.

I recommend people check it out on Kazaa and then buy it when it comes out on 11th November.

Hope that helps people...

[hr]IMAGE:www.red-llama.com/me.bmp
[rar!]
EviLTwiN

re: evil twin

Postby TheMadBear on Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:16 pm

Seconded

<>
TheMadBear

Pearl Jam

Postby Cloud on Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:15 am

Yes Riot Act is their best album and its absolutely fantastic, but its not punk. This again comes to what is and isnt punk but Pearl Jam r rock or grunge, not punk.
Cloud

Re:

Postby shivaree on Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:47 pm

Yeah, I love punk, and I feel like I'm the only flippin girl here who does.

I'm a huge fan of Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly (who do a kick ass live show), Bouncing Souls, Dead Kennedys, Anti Flag, Misfits, Rancid, the Ramones, and classic protopunk like Iggy and the Stooges.

Maybe we can get a little more punk at rocksoc, eh? eh?

==Btw, I'm new, first post and all, do come say hello if you see me at rocksoc, or elsewhere. I'm the girl with the blue and green wool extensions, usually I'm either nursing a drink or dancing poorly but with passion...or is it with drunkeness? So yes, say hello or die.==

++Kara++
shivaree

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:11 am

i think punk is an attitude.

how can anyone agree the exact definition of punk?

they can't.

Punk is to an individual whatever they consider to be punk.

that definition changes from person to person.

therefore if you thing pearl jam are punk, they are. (not saying i do).

the moment people start to ridgidly define what a band is, inverted snobbery starts to rear it's head. You get old school people laughing at newbies because it makes them feel more like part of the scene.

It's a load of crap and it's the first sign that a type of music is headed towards (or in the direction of) mainstream popularity.

if we could define things that easily then we wouldn't have genres like black-proto-cyber-sludge-metal-grindcore.

[rar!]
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:03 am

I watched a programme on tv a while back about punk, and at the end they said exactly what youve just said Flash my boy, "punk is an attitude, its hard to define as and it may not even be, a musical genre"..... then they played Linkin Park.

Enough said

Cloud the wonder boy
Cloud

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:57 pm

that simple means to some people linkin park is punk.

We shouldn't judge whether or not they're punk to specific people, becuase to some people they clearly are.

What we must do is tell them how sad they are for liking linkin park, regardless of whether they're punk.

[rar!]
EviLTwiN

Next

Return to Rocksoc