Home

TheSinner.net

Your Views Of This Year

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Your Views Of This Year

Postby Zak on Sun May 07, 2006 5:34 pm

Just thought be interesting to see what people have thought of this years rocksoc. I know the music hasnt always been great but how bad is it? Are the events planned well? Do we need more of less? Any new ideas, what should we scrap/bring back?

Ive had an excellent year, Thursdays have always been an excellent night out no matter whats been on whether it be a normal rocksoc, pub crawl, dressing up in drag etc etc. Loved the music, always found something to dance/listen/mosh too.
Good balance of events, love to see rock karaoke back, themed nights fooking rock.

[hr]

Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Re:

Postby Matt Badger on Sun May 07, 2006 5:38 pm

This year was good in all areas. I think you guys should just stick to the formula and repeat.

[hr]

This is the art of Ruin
Matt Badger

Re:

Postby Eggnchips on Sun May 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Yeah this year has been good.
One thing I would ask for (as usual) is more variety in the bands played as most of the time the "line-up" is very similar from one night to the other.
Eggnchips

Re:

Postby Roulette on Sun May 07, 2006 7:52 pm

My one suggestion would be fixing the site. New layout, an events secion (want to know what's on? Check the website!), regular updates, updating the "Presidents Address" more (because reading about "Future Events" which are gone and done with is a bit stupid) and all round improvements.

Of course, there IS no point in me saying this...because I'm going to do it anyway.

[hr]

If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Roulette

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon May 08, 2006 8:20 am

Ive gotta say this year has converted me totally! Came to the freshers one and was less than impressed. Came to one after that, got hammered, danced like a lunatic, got elbowed in the face, and had a goddamn great time!

Music-wise, more variation would be nice. The lineups are pretty much all confined to Heavy, Death and other Increments of Metal, as well as some variations of punk/emo knocking around. It'd be nice to bring some other genres into the mix. Perhaps some late 70's punk, 80's Metal (a-la big hair and spandex night, It went down quite well!), Prog Rock, mebbe some Nu-metal (there is some vaguely good stuff in the genre).

Also would there be any way to stop the union from invading our privicy? I've seen too many fine soldiers of rawk disrespected and thrown out of the union just because they were "too drunk to stand up," or some other rubbish!!! Completely ruined my night so it did, when I was frogmarched out of the Halloween set by one of the union gorillas!

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby zednettler on Mon May 08, 2006 8:37 am

Twas blimmin' marvellous. Lather, rinse, repeat. Or just repeat, because washing isn't rock'n'roll. A second club trip in term 2 wouldn't go amiss, but that's my only suggestion.
zednettler

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon May 08, 2006 1:59 pm

Quoting Jono from 09:20, 8th May 2006

Also would there be any way to stop the union from invading our privicy? I've seen too many fine soldiers of rawk disrespected and thrown out of the union just because they were "too drunk to stand up," or some other rubbish!!! Completely ruined my night so it did, when I was frogmarched out of the Halloween set by one of the union gorillas!

[hr]

I'm going to have to stop you right there dude. As a (recently ex) "union gorilla" myself I'll say we remove people as a last resort, as people are twats when we have to do so. If you were removed you were vey likely done so for a good reason.

Secondly the union do not "invade our privacy". We have an absolutly brilliant relationship with them, both with Mandy (the woman on the front desk Thursday nights) and the SAABs. They very often bend over backwards to accomadate us and let us get away with far much mroe than we should be able to (moshing, table dancing, stupidity, and nakedness).

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon May 08, 2006 4:14 pm

The reason was ostensibly (and in actuality) that I could no longer keep my balance!!! How I got myself home I do not know (apparently I made it all the way to my room before passing out in front of my door).

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Mystikal Dave on Mon May 08, 2006 7:37 pm

This year was excellent. I honestly can't think of a Rocksoc or Rocksoc-planned event that hasn't ended in my having a really good time, and getting mullered to boot.

It seems like you guys have got it down. Rinse and repeat, my friends.

[hr]

I am by far the greater of two evils.
I am by far the greater of two evils.
Mystikal Dave

Re:

Postby the philanthropist on Mon May 08, 2006 7:38 pm

Fine music, fine drinking, fine women!
the philanthropist

Re:

Postby H on Mon May 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Just add what an awesome time i've had all year, even if the music isn't to my taste all the time, the society is not called lets play music only if henry likes it soc, so therefore, keep it going the same, but with more of the same in much larger doses I feel! Awesome year, look forward to many more!

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Wed May 10, 2006 1:33 am

This year has kicked ass. Hope it continues into next year... a whole new load of freshers to corrupt... hehehe

I would like ot say I'm a tad dissapointed with the apathy that greeted some of my more extreme musical choices... (I'm glad to still be alive, don't get me wrong) The problem is I think I may have run out of shcok value... my list of 'things to try and get away with at rocksoc' is almost all accounted for...

I'll try my best for the next one... but having survived Hanson, Busted and Creed there is really very little else worth trying.

Anyway, point is keep rocking motherfuckers!!

[hr]

"I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes"
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Roulette on Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Jono from 17:14, 8th May 2006
The reason was ostensibly (and in actuality) that I could no longer keep my balance!!! How I got myself home I do not know (apparently I made it all the way to my room before passing out in front of my door).

If you were that drunk are you sure you weren't causing trouble? ;)

Who is Jono? I get the feeling I ought to know but kind of...don't...

[hr]

Roulette

Re:

Postby H on Wed May 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of Creed Alex! I'm sure you can come up with something...we're counting on the emo DJ...don't let us down!

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Wed May 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Thank you, H... I do have a couple of things lined up... whether they'll fit into the rest of my next set is still to be seen.

[hr]

"I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes"
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Robert E. Lee on Wed May 10, 2006 8:56 pm

This thread is claimed.

Robert E. Lee

Re:

Postby Roulette on Thu May 11, 2006 2:24 pm

No you don't :P

[hr]

Roulette

Re:

Postby sparkler on Thu May 11, 2006 2:35 pm

I think he just did...

[hr]

Woah lads!
Woah lads!
sparkler

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 11, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting Roulette from 03:39, 10th May 2006

[hr]

I'm pretty sure I wasn't causing harm to other people. I black out just after they threw me out.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376

Thats me. I haven't actually been all that visible as far as I know. I was wearing the sex pistols T-shirt last Thursday if that's any help.

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby Roulette on Fri May 12, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting Jono from 21:21, 11th May 2006
Quoting Roulette from 03:39, 10th May 2006

I'm pretty sure I wasn't causing harm to other people. I black out just after they threw me out.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105376

Thats me. I haven't actually been all that visible as far as I know. I was wearing the sex pistols T-shirt last Thursday if that's any help.

Ah-ha! I do recognise you! :D (I was also looking over o_t4ng's photos of the AGM last night so guess who's vaguely retarded)

And Sex Pistols, good taste.

[hr]

Roulette

Next

Return to Rocksoc