Home

TheSinner.net

Guitar Pwnage

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Guitar Pwnage

Postby H on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:30 pm

OK, so Yngwie Malmsteen sucks. Yeah hes fast, but not musicality, no good writing. Paul Gilbert on the other hand, not only has he been in some great bands, and written some great music, he also kicks Yngwie's ass when it comes to speed...observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzZj8jbxwIs

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Since Yngwie's global boom in popularity in the teething days of his self-acclaimed genre, neo-classical metal it's been SOOOO cool from then on to take the piss and says he's shit in comparison to [ name of some guitarist who isn't an arrogant twat ]. And I think it's right to say that Yngwie is a self-obsessed, egotistical, mindless speed orientated douche. But don't take it too far and say he "sucks" or does "no good writing" cos these just blatently aren't true.

Paul Gilbert is immense though I very much like his stuff...unlike Yngwie he's original in his approach to songs/techniques and I like that...especially the drill song :)

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon power metal I drool
[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:40 pm

OMG he has 3 hands!!!

[hr]

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 15:08, 3rd Dec 2006
But don't take it too far and say he "sucks" or does "no good writing" cos these just blatently aren't true.

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]

Actually I'd disagree and say that Yngwie is the ultimate example of terribly written, yet technically brilliant pieces. Which just goes to show that this sort of malarky is all subjective really. After all I think Marilyn Manson "writes good things". ;)

[hr]

Beatrice - Darling. Dearest. Dead.
Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm tempted to agree but I think ultimate experiance of terribley written would imply a complete ignorance of musical theory or form but Yngwie does sit down and write out his music (from what I've seen/heard), composing various progressions, complex arpeggios/scales, etc. While it's easy to say he just mashes these at wanking speed from memory, I think (know?) he does sit down and does some "good writing".

It's become way too popular to flame Yngwie and neo-classical fanbois for being mindless speed lovers without any 'soul' or 'feel' for 'tr00' music. But Yngwie's had this since the beginning of time! Now DragonForce on the other hand....

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 15:22, 4th Dec 2006
I'm tempted to agree but I think ultimate experiance of terribley written would imply a complete ignorance of musical theory or form but Yngwie does sit down and write out his music (from what I've seen/heard), composing various progressions, complex arpeggios/scales, etc. While it's easy to say he just mashes these at wanking speed from memory, I think (know?) he does sit down and does some "good writing".

It's become way too popular to flame Yngwie and neo-classical fanbois for being mindless speed lovers without any 'soul' or 'feel' for 'tr00' music. But Yngwie's had this since the beginning of time! Now DragonForce on the other hand....

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]

Love Neo-Classical actually, just think Yngwie is kinda boring. Who else would you reccomend then?

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:13 pm

Erm as in a shredder/good guitarist? Or neo classical?

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Captain_Spanky on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:23 pm

Quoting Power_Metal_Dom from 18:13, 4th Dec 2006
Erm as in a shredder/good guitarist? Or neo classical?

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]

Either, but would prefer Neo-Classical.

[hr]

Captain_Spanky

Re:

Postby David on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm

try Chris Impellitteri
David

Re:

Postby H on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:18 pm

Neoclassical - the first band I would recommend to anyone would be symphony x, but I dont need to recommend them to you Jez do I?

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
H

Re:

Postby Matt Badger on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:28 pm

One song I've been listening to alot recently is 'Selkies The Endless Obsession' by Between The Buried And Me. It starts as a math/death metal song, has a Dire Straits breakdown in the middle and finishes with a fucking huge neo classical sweep picking wank fest. Recommended for those seeking hard technical rammage.
Matt Badger

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:05 pm

To be honest... he looks silly. Yes it's pretty cool but if you have to get someone else to help you play... then you suck. A mon avis...

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby H on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:23 pm

The physical impossibility of fretting the base notes, while play those lightning fast arpeggios is kinda the reason he had someone helping. You really should check out some of his stuff on youtube, or you can nick a load of stuff off me, I have tons of Paul Gilbert. :P

[hr]

H

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:28 pm

The equivalent of that guy's hand is using a capo, it's not silly it's necessary!

Jez, as far as neo-classical people go I can definitely recommend Virtuocity. They are very very good.

[hr]

[l]
Image[/l]
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:40 pm

It would have to be a moving capo though. I am not averse to the use of capos, just the other guy looks a bit of a choob standing there. "BE MY HUMAN CAPO BITCH!"

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Shredi-Knight on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:30 pm

Gilbert is sweet, best alternate picker in the world if you ask me.

For other neoclassical guys check out Jason Becker, Vinnie Moore, Tony Macalpine and Chris Impellitteri among others.. If you ask me all of those guys write better songs and play 1)faster and 2)cleaner than Yngwie.

Also, check this out:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sh ... p?t=366820
Shredi-Knight

Re:

Postby H on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:51 pm

I would have been impressed by all that once...but ive moved on...he may not have been as fast, but he's a better writer, and better stylistically - dimebag pwns them all!

[hr]

H

Re:

Postby Shredi-Knight on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:01 pm

Hmmm, I think that most of the guys I mentioned are better writers than Yngwie.... Maybe not all the fast guys are but I'd say the ones I mentioned are
Shredi-Knight

Re:

Postby H on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:05 pm

You are indeed correct. Btw who are you...i most know you!

[hr]

H

Re:

Postby Shredi-Knight on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:11 pm

Nick Whittle.
I've kind of stopped coming to Rocksoc recently.
Yourself?
Shredi-Knight

Next

Return to Rocksoc