Home

TheSinner.net

Can we get a rocksoc on a Saturday

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Can we get a rocksoc on a Saturday

Postby mrkev on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:52 am

Go on Please Please.
mrkev

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm

No! The universe'll explode if we change nights!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby zednettler on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:34 am

Sod the universe. Saturdays in St Andrews suck, I want rocksocs then too.
zednettler

Re:

Postby Ragamuffin on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:18 pm

Oooh. Good call. Saturdays are kind of lame.

[hr]

We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now!
We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now!
Ragamuffin

Re:

Postby Garnet on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:21 pm

OH yes!

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Thalia on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:46 pm

Not unless we also have Thursday rocksoc. Don't make me choose between Rocksoc and my regular dose of Saturday night TV! :-P

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby flossy on Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting Thalia from 20:46, 31st Aug 2007
Not unless we also have Thursday rocksoc. Don't make me choose between Rocksoc and my regular dose of Saturday night TV! :-P

Invest in a video, woman! Or new-fangled freeview recording malarkey!

[hr]

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the substrate.
flossy

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:34 pm

It turns out people actually torrent the X Factor - i am saved :-D

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:31 pm

I agree - bring on rocksoc on saturday!!!

Re:

Postby Roulette on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Saturday Rocksocs would mean I'd actually have to turn up for Friday lectures instead of lying in bed complaining that I went to bed four hours ago.

...maybe this is why I'm failing.

[hr]

If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
If you're the "1337 M4574!!!111", then I'm the Weirdo in the corner playing air guitar to her iPod.
Lame, but cooler than you.
Roulette

Re:

Postby flossy on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:39 pm

It would also help for us "grown-ups" who can't really turn up to work hungover the next day...

[hr]

flossy

Satruday saturday saturday

Postby little missy on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:34 pm

I want to agree with this thread and bring it back up to the top. What does the committee think? I can't think of any downsides except that Thursday Rocksoc means the weekend starts earlier. But there'd be nothing stopping Rocksoc from having a pub night/crawl/cinema trip or something on Thursdays aswell.

Damn, why didn't I do that when I had the power?
little missy

Re:

Postby H on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:09 pm

I don't believe we can. As far as I am aware the union won't let us have Venue 2 regularly on a saturday (don't hold me to that, but I seem to remember having that conversation with someone)

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby Jono on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting H from 15:09, 28th Sep 2007
I don't believe we can. As far as I am aware the union won't let us have Venue 2 regularly on a saturday (don't hold me to that, but I seem to remember having that conversation with someone)

[hr]

"I'd like to say a big FUCK OFF to anyone who says metal is dead!" Zakk Wylde 2002

I know you have to book rooms weekly for Sunday. Does that apply to the whole weekend?

Even so, a Saturday night Rocksoc would be kind of nice (and in-tune with the drinking habits of real people). It'd be worth chasing up, and/or seeing if they'll make an exception for us.

Edit: Better yet, dare I suggest it; Venue 1 and the Beer Bar?!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:34 pm

If that's true then, IMO, it very silly. I believe their argument would be something along the lines of...

"We need the space on a Saturday evening just in case another society/event wants to use it."

Whilst this sounds like a reasonable argument, its not really. Venue 2, as the name suggest, is the second largest club-style venue the union has. As such, the only society/event that should be considered is one which will utilise it as a bar/dancfloor area.

Since it is never used regularly as this on a Saturday night, it makes sense, both finacially and in terms of appropriate use of space, to grant this night to a society/event that can fill it every time it plays there.

Given that rocksoc only has need of the room every second week, this would allow booking of the room for societies/events to have one of bookings of the rooms (as they do now).

If the statement about using Venue 2 regularly is incorrect, then I appologise.

If the statement is correct and the reason I have given is not the correct one or the full story then I'd love to hear the other reasons.

In short - could the committee organise communicating with the union directly on this, as throwing things around here is pretty much useless.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby meow on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:23 pm

I actually think it's a great idea especially so I don't need to go to my lectures hungover.
meow

Re:

Postby Squeaky Ross on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:07 pm

RockSoc Halloween is on Saturday 3rd November, that do?
Squeaky Ross

Re:

Postby mrkev on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 am

That happens to be the one satuday I'm not around (damm the Irony)

Mr K
mrkev

Re:

Postby Brother Munro on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Saturday Rocksocs would be awesome, as there is no way I can make Thursday ones from Aberdeen...
Brother Munro

Return to Rocksoc