Home

TheSinner.net

Thursday Night

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Thursday Night

Postby Grant on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 pm

There was to be an advertised Dimebag set for the first hour as a tribute.

Theres been such a shitstorm via the emails that this is no longer happening as far as im aware.

I'm so fed up of all the two faced bitching and moaning that ive quit. Ive had enough - my advice if you are ENTs is just try to do nothing, theres no point. You'll face arguements regardless of what you try to change.

Hell, i even got moaned at for taking DJ requests, even after so many people on the soceity asked for it.

Also, DJ CDs: As I quit as ENTs rep, so you'll have to hand CDs into other rocksoc committee members.

Patrick,(Dom?)Marek and Gavin - I was intending to give you guys a power metal set first one night and let you DJ it, but some of the other Djs (mike, jez) see this as an insult to them, and i cant guarentee this is still happening. Its stupid as you gusy would have been best for the job.

Sorry guys, i did try to get normal member input into rocksoc.

Cheers peeps.

-Grant
Grant

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:17 pm

[img]http://www.bulala.com/wustvox/emohate/flyers/emo_baby.jpg[/img]

[hr]

"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

I'm not goign to comment on what's going on as 1. I don't know and 2. I don't wanna start a fight (which don't mean I won't get into one! :P). I think Grant's being doing a great job and I'm sad he feels he can't do it. A lot of the ideas he's suggested have been cool, not least as I was one of the peopel suggesting DJ requests.

One question: what has become of the DJ application CDs handed to Grant?

Thanks.

[hr]

"Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong:
THIS is the way the world ends."
-First Cortana Letter
"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby skip on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Grant, don't quit, you're doing a good job

Jez, fuck off, you're not on the committee (which has 3 of the DJs on), which gave a consensus decision on the Dimebag set

You're lucky you're still a DJ, act like it's a privilege that can be taken away. An apology would also be good.

Sean
skip

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Yeah but he has DONE GRANT'S JOB which I think is the point you're missing.

He did it pretty well too as I remember. He got loads of buses for gigs, organised stuff for non-club nights and there was none of this bullshit. And yes, I know I'm his girlfriend but I wasn't then.

God this is pathetic.

And I can complain because I'm an old bastard :P

EDIT: he's in fourth year you eejit. I've left, but I can assure you he's neck deep in dissertation currently.

[hr]

Starla

Re:

Postby skip on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:06 pm

then maybe he should have run for it again this year if he thought he could do a better job.

Buses for gigs we did (Dream Theater, all other gigs haven't received enough interest or interest too late to book) and we've had a pub crawl and film night on non-club nights.

Anything else we can do please tell us, it's our job to do what you guys want, it's why you elected us
skip

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 pm

I must confess I am amused to see Jez criticise the will of the RockSoc committee (who I imagine having an omniscient viewscreen with which to survey their domain!), given how quick he was to respond to ay (usually my) criticism last year. :P

[hr]

"Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong:
THIS is the way the world ends."
-First Cortana Letter
"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:01 pm

then maybe he should have run for it again this year if he thought he could do a better job

Because Rock Soc is so much more important than, oh... say a degree?

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Zak on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting Starla from 16:00, 30th Nov 2007
there was none of this bullshit.
[hr]

There wasnt any of this bullshit then because no one started any. The email Jez sent Grant was quite personal and was insulting with little in constructive criticism.
Phrases such as;
'That is completely abusing your position Grant. That sort of shit should not fly.' It was discussed and passed as a committee, that means all of us not just Grant.

'I'm really not impressed, and it's sending my opinion of how you're conducting yourself this year further down the pan.'
Again it was a committee wide decision, it was just Grant that emailed out. All his decisions are passed by me or the committee first, he isnt just doing what he likes.

As we've always said come to committee meetings, 6.30pm Tuesday in the Union. Less fucking bitchy emails, less pathetic remarks and more working together to get this society the best it can be.

In terms of the DJ cd's in, ill take care for now until this is resolved.

[hr]

Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Im not getting jiggy, its Parkinsons!
Zak

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:52 pm

Jez has never tried to be personal. If you remember, last time he had a problem with Grant he tried to be polite, give some advice as someone who had been through the same kinda stuff, and not bring it up in front of everyone but Grant forwarded his email on to everyone else.

I shouldn't have really got involved but it pisses me off that last year people decided that somehow all the problems Rocksoc had were because of Jez. This issue seems like someone not being able to take advice - it's not a committee thing. Half of these problems wouldn't have arisen if a DJ meeting had been called when problems started cropping up. I believe one was suggested but not followed up on.

I also think that the main point ANYONE who disagreed with the idea was trying to make was that it could just lead to people wanting more and more tribute sets for other dead rockers and it would be unfair to turn other people down.

No one was trying to start shit up to be mean but (the shitty) part of being on a committee is having to deal with complaints. If you can't deal with complaints then don't be on the sodding committee.

[hr]

Starla

Re:

Postby Grant on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting Starla from 17:52, 30th Nov 2007
Jez has never tried to be personal. If you remember, last time he had a problem with Grant he tried to be polite, give some advice as someone who had been through the same kinda stuff, and not bring it up in front of everyone but Grant forwarded his email on to everyone else.

I shouldn't have really got involved but it pisses me off that last year people decided that somehow all the problems Rocksoc had were because of Jez. This issue seems like someone not being able to take advice - it's not a committee thing. Half of these problems wouldn't have arisen if a DJ meeting had been called when problems started cropping up. I believe one was suggested but not followed up on.

I also think that the main point ANYONE who disagreed with the idea was trying to make was that it could just lead to people wanting more and more tribute sets for other dead rockers and it would be unfair to turn other people down.

No one was trying to start shit up to be mean but (the shitty) part of being on a committee is having to deal with complaints. If you can't deal with complaints then don't be on the sodding committee.

[hr]

Jez wasnt personal about that first email was he? Im pretty sure he was, and he spoke of other DJs opinions without ASKING THEM.

The fact is, ive been criticised all year and put up with it. I wont put up with idiotic comments with no real point. If you see Jez as polite, then perhaps you need to consider what you say aswell. I sent it out because he was stating other peoples opinions for them -ring any bells?

And its a cheek that Jez could be angry with me, when i had to restrain comments after talking to him at the bar.

And, everyone missed the point. The dimebag set isnt because he's dead. Its because a) he influenced just about all modern metal and we hadnt had a proper heavy set for a while

and b) every other rock club and pub up and down the country has one, and its a great atmosphere.

c) also, there is something called COMMON SENSE. Dime was listened to by people at rocksoc -eg metal Dan,craig,marc,myself,H,dave etc etc. Theres no point whinging about other rockers when there are no fans.

At least we knew people would dance to pantera, as you all do it every fucking week. It was one set. And to suggest that it would happen with every rocker is stupidity - is there a Shawn Lane tribute night? if you even know who he is, ill be impressed.

You keep suggesting that everyone is so metal - when was the last time you were actually in a damn metal bar?

And i think it is personal. Jez knows it would piss me off to attack dimebag, and any sets about it. Its funny to think that the same guy last year was kickin back Blacktooth grins with me to honour dime.
Grant

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting Grant from 18:05, 30th Nov 2007

Jez wasnt personal about that first email was he? Im pretty sure he was, and he spoke of other DJs opinions without ASKING THEM.

The fact is, ive been criticised all year and put up with it. I wont put up with idiotic comments with no real point. If you see Jez as polite, then perhaps you need to consider what you say aswell. I sent it out because he was stating other peoples opinions for them -ring any bells?

And its a cheek that Jez could be angry with me, when i had to restrain comments after talking to him at the bar.

And, everyone missed the point. The dimebag set isnt because he's dead. Its because a) he influenced just about all modern metal and we hadnt had a proper heavy set for a while

and b) every other rock club and pub up and down the country has one, and its a great atmosphere.

c) also, there is something called COMMON SENSE. Dime was listened to by people at rocksoc -eg metal Dan,craig,marc,myself,H,dave etc etc. Theres no point whinging about other rockers when there are no fans.

At least we knew people would dance to pantera, as you all do it every fucking week. It was one set. And to suggest that it would happen with every rocker is stupidity - is there a Shawn Lane tribute night? if you even know who he is, ill be impressed.

You keep suggesting that everyone is so metal - when was the last time you were actually in a damn metal bar?

And i think it is personal. Jez knows it would piss me off to attack dimebag, and any sets about it. Its funny to think that the same guy last year was kickin back Blacktooth grins with me to honour dime.

Actually Jez DID ask other DJs but at the time I didn't think it was worth making a deal over.

Nobody is saying anything about "metal"... which was sort of my point in my email.
We are not METAL soc.

OH my CHRIST I can't even be bothered with this any more. This is supposed to be something we all do for FUN. Grow the fuck up.

[hr]

angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby The Introvert on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:46 pm

I'm not impressed by any of this. To any observer, it just show what whiny, bitchy people you all are. How many of you, having given your opinions in such a balanced fashion, are going to step up and run for Ents because you're so sure you can do a better job? Is that one hour of your life you would have lost listening to a Dimebag themed set really THAT important to you that you need to debate it all the way to the bitter end? Because from what I see, when this shitstorm is over we're one GOOD and PROACTIVE Ents Officer down and shit out of ideas until someone else steps up to recieve your criticisms, constructive or otherwise.

I was 100% behind the idea of a Dimebag set, but didn't feel the need to post that here, because in a town this small you can sort everything face to face. Surely that's common fucking decency?

I agree with Grant, it makes perfect sense to have a Dimebag tribute hour, if only financially. How many of you can admit to getting up and thrashing your asses off every time ANY Pantera song is played? The point is not about the relative importance of your favoured idols, it's that Dimebag's work covered a broad enough spectrum that pretty much everyone would be satisfied and could have something to relate to. From what I heard about the set Grant had painstakingly worked out, Dime had collaborated with enough people or had been related to enough projects that repetition of bands over the course of the set would be virtually nil. I mean, one measly fucking hour of themed music, and you couldn't just grin and bear it, rather than proclaiming it committee interference and the death of the DJ's freedom of musical choice? For fuck's sake.

And what happened to you Jez? You used to be cool.

[hr]

'Or I become what never fails, following the footsteps behind me'
'Or I become what never fails, following the footsteps behind me'
The Introvert

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 pm

Dude I'm in Rocksoc. We're all smelly and have stupid long hair and beards. We listen to metal. None of that is cool in the slightest.

WAKA WAKA WAKA

Jez

P.S.

"Is that one hour of your life you would have lost listening to a Dimebag themed set really THAT important"

It's not. Hence I only sent one email, and am finding everyone's over-reactions incredibly funny. Best afternoon I've ever had. Seriously, I love Dime as much as the next guy, but some of you guys need a fucking hobby. One that's not fellating dead guitarists.

P.P.S.

"you couldn't just grin and bear it"

You're right, I tend to Gin and bear it. And by bear I mean tonic.

P.P.P.S

I know this makes me an arsehole. But least I'm an arsehole with a nice low blood pressure.
[hr]

Starla

Re:

Postby Dark_Soul on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:53 pm

MOTHERFUCKER DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENIN LIKE i;m fucking wasted and in this state all i can say is there is WELL MORE other shit in life to deal with. basically what jenny said GROW THE FUCK UP

[hr]

Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel, when you are gone?
Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel, when you are gone?
Dark_Soul

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting Grant from 18:05, 30th Nov 2007
whinge

a) how can it be personal if he only ocmplained about the way you were doing your job? He didn't call you names or anything like that. Seriously, good for you for quitting the committee - if you get this worked up about complaints like this then if you'd stayed in the job your stress levels would have rocketed. I'm not having a go at you personally, I like you as a guy.

b) stop being a name dropping elitist.

c) I was in a metal bar a few weekends ago.

d) how dare you insult MY IDOL Kurt Cobain by implying that he has no fans.

e) Seriously dude, WTF.

[hr]

Starla

Re:

Postby Starla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:23 pm

It's not just me that sees the funny in there being a thread called "Rocksoc Hatred" two below this one? Looks like the titles got mixed up.

[hr]

Starla

Hmmmm

Postby o_t4ng on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Following in that vein... am I the only one who sees some kind of relevant humour in this?

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby H on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:27 pm

May I apologise to everyone about this, none of this is in any way the view of the rocksoc committee. At the current time, the resposibilities of ENTs rep will be covered by Zak, myself and the rest of the committee until a permanent solution can be found. In the meantime, I hope to see you all at the live night tomorrow, and wish you all the best.

H

[hr]

"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
"Oh, you ironic pop-rock fuck!
Don't you fuck with metal!" Devin Townsend 2006
H

Re:

Postby Eggnchips on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting Grant from 14:34, 30th Nov 2007
Patrick,(Dom?)Marek and Gavin - I was intending to give you guys a power metal set first one night and let you DJ it, but some of the other Djs (mike, jez) see this as an insult to them, and i cant guarentee this is still happening. Its stupid as you gusy would have been best for the job.

I'm just gonna quickly reiterate what I said in my e-mail - if people want to DJ, they should hand in a DJ CD like the rest of us did. We got elected by the commitee at the time, so why can't everyone else?
Eggnchips

Next

Return to Rocksoc