Home

TheSinner.net

Britpoptastic

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Britpoptastic

Postby Blessed Benediction on Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:02 pm

Britpop was great. Blur's best songs seemed to be their Britpop stuff (There's No Other Way, Girls & Boys, even Parklife & Country House were good for nostalgia value). Then you have Oasis who chucked out some pretty good singles (Whatever, Some Might Say, & of course Don't Look Back in Anger). More importantly though there was Suede with their Coming Up LP which was totally superb (5 singles released & that didn't even include Starcrazy) & Pulp with Different Class. Ocean Colour Scene & the Verve (if you count them as Britpop) were pretty good at scaling the charts too.

Britpop was great because it was pop. it may have been a bit indie-schmindie-y but it was still pop. a unique time in pop history when guitars could chime their way to a number 1.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

great...

Postby vegetation for the masses on Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:39 pm

Britpop was great. Blur's best songs seemed to be their Britpop stuff (There's No Other Way, Girls & Boys, even Parklife & Country House were good for nostalgia value). Then you have Oasis who chucked out some pretty good singles (Whatever, Some Might Say, & of course Don't Look Back in Anger). More importantly though there was Suede with their Coming Up LP which was totally superb (5 singles released & that didn't even include Starcrazy) & Pulp with Different Class. Ocean Colour Scene & the Verve (if you count them as Britpop) were pretty good at scaling the charts too.

Britpop was great because it was pop. it may have been a bit indie-schmindie-y but it was still pop. a unique time in pop history when guitars could chime their way to a number 1.

vegetation for the masses

Re:

Postby Communist Rubberman on Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:20 pm

Yeah Britpop was great for a while because it was 'our bands' in the top ten, which was fun. Some of the music wasn't bad either, although I'm no fan of Oasis.

That's what yer president thinks.

Red Jamie
Communist Rubberman

Re:

Postby TheMadBear on Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:04 am

Ahhh Britpop, reminds me of sweet benedict singing on thursdays...

;)

[hr]It can't rain all the time - The Crow
TheMadBear

Britpop = pish

Postby Cloud on Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:24 pm

Ahhh Britpop, reminds me of sweet benedict singing on thursdays...

;)

[hr]It can't rain all the time - The Crow
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Mark on Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:04 pm

I enjoyed a lot of it at the time, but nowadays don't really reckon much of the music has stood the test of time. Which given that it was only about 5-10 years ago, is a bad sign.
Mark

Re:

Postby Cloud on Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:17 pm

Its like every genre of music, there is good and there is bad.

Good britpop (not my choices i hope you understand, these are widely regarded and proven as good bands) -

Blur
Pulp
Suede
Elastica
Oasis

Bad (and when its bad its awful) britpop -

Kula Shaker (eurgh)
Dodgy (eeuurgh)
Embrace (oh dear god no)
MENSWEAR!! (nooooooooo!!!! *lines up gun with left temple*)

and so on

The Verve were not britpop, nor were Ocean Colour Scene.
Cloud

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:51 pm

I very much doubt many people would consider Embrace Britpop would they? They don't have the sound at all, plus they where a couple of years later than the proper Britpop 'explosion'.

Plus, I happen to like them. Well, the first album anyway.
[hr][s]"you complain about an overflowing cup.
don't forget that i'm the one who filled that fucker up."[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Cloud on Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:50 pm

i got them mixed up with another band, cant remember their name... i hate Embrace anyway
Cloud

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:55 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 19:50, 15th Apr 2003:
i hate Embrace anyway

I have an annoying weekness for anything that sound 'Epic'. If a song is over 5 minutes long, has strings and guitars and is about something miserable then there's a very good chance I'll like it.
Works well in the case of the post-rock masters like GSYBE! but also leaves me open to such stuff as Embrace's 'The Good Will Out' (they got rid of the strings and misery on subsequent albums and accordingly those sound crap to me).
[hr][s]"you complain about an overflowing cup.
don't forget that i'm the one who filled that fucker up."[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:19 am

ah post rock (by the way its GYBE! Godspeed is one word) I love that genre.

Mogwai, Rock Of Travolta, Sigur Ros, and of course the fathers of it all... Slint

Much goodness
Cloud

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:22 pm

If it's a sillable, it gets a letter in my book.
And yes, Slint, verily thus and so indeedy. Spiderland is absolutley sublime. And Tweez deserves credit for having the whole "... tweezer fettish ..." lyric (any many more cool stuff).
It's a pity they did so little together, their post- stuff never quite hit it for me. I like some of Dave Pajo's Papa/Aerial M stuff and The For Carnation was pretty cool in places but it's been pretty much all down hill really.
[hr][s]"Mario danced the tango then the Fanta attacked his notorious sister"
- The Three Word Story[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Cloud on Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:11 pm

Tortoise are a band ive always been wanting to listen to, but ive just never got round to it. Seeing as there is members of Slint in Tortoise i might start listening now
Cloud

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:36 am

Slint's Spiderland that one. some old friends i knew used to get stoned to that. produced by Steve Albini. at which point must point out, mm Kerosene, strikes me as probably the properly heaviest song i've ever listened to.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:10 am

well Steve Albini can do no wrong... well, Big Black were a bit crap and ive never heard Rapeman. But Shellac are awesome and he produces good albums
Cloud

Re:

Postby Wolfsbane on Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:21 pm

Britpop sucked so much.

It practically killed the British metal/rock scene, with record companies backing the easily manipulated pop acts, and ditching the rock/metal- despite their higher sales, because Britpop was easyer to manipulate.

We lost countless acts, thankfully a few managed to pull through, so maybe Britmetal will make a comback, and we can ditch all the shitty american punk/nu stuff...
Wolfsbane

steve is god

Postby splittter on Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:23 pm

sad trainspotter fact ... albini only produced tweez, not spiderland
splittter

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:58 am

I liked all of Cloud's listings, except Suede, who I don't really care for much.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:36 pm

Suede were superb. easily the best of that 5 (Blur, Pulp, Suede, Elastica, Oasis). i use 'were' because now they're really dull. but when they had Butler they were untouchable like the Stone Roses were in '89 & '90. & Coming Up was a pretty much flawless record (once Butler had left). Head Music showed signs of the fire burning out but even that had Everything Must Flow which was a great single & had a few other pretty good moments.

Coming Up was their only real Britpop LP of course but it was very much Britpop given it spawned 5 hit singles.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:12 pm

Oasis' music is derivative cack. Blur aren't much better. Suede were OK for about 10 minutes. As for Elastica - why not just buy Wire? Therefore, by a subtle process of elimination, only Pulp were any good.

[hr]"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Next

Return to Rocksoc