Home

TheSinner.net

Lets bitch!!

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:24 pm

'I won't get involved in this VNV Nation/Pet Shop Boys malarkey...'

all i said was that Pet Shop Boys inspired VNV, & i'd be lying if i said they hadn't. (& i think i may have said something along the lines of Pet Shop Boys rock which erm well anyway.)

'Come, join me in essex, that'll get your fear and loathing up again, it would make a devout satanist out of the even the most fwuffy bunny.'

satanist? in my head Satan & God are happily married enjoying debaucherous lives.

'Shit! Are Evanescence Christian?!'

listen to Tourniquet. when she sings 'Christ, tourniquet', it's no exclamation.

the thing is, there's a great difference between bands who are Christian & Christian bands. a good example of a Christian band is DC Talk who have a few surprisingly (almost) decent songs including their hit Jesus Freak (it rocks way more than POD). then you have those many many bands who just happen to be Christian. VNV Nation would be one. listen to Genesis or Saviour (vocal version) & it becomes pretty apparent if not obvious anyway.

Evanescence sound fine at the moment, it remains to be seen whether they start using their immense popularity as a platform for spreading the word of our saviour Lord Jesus Christ. would they have spent 5 weeks at number 1 if it wasn't for the fact they were christian is what i'd ask myself.

again i reiterate that i can't hate a band as i feel that hate is a very strong word. if you want me to list a load of bands i feel decidedly indifferent to then i could list a fair few more.

[hr]watches should have a smiley face on them as it's always time to be happy
Blessed Benediction

cloud.......

Postby Prince on Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:11 pm

Cloud - do you think perhaps you could stop being such an obnoxious ass for one minute?

I'm sorry, I really do try you know as well...
Prince

Re:

Postby Endemoniada on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:13 pm

What just happened?
Endemoniada

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:06 pm

did someone else feel they were themselves "an obnoxious ass" and took offense at cloud being called one and not them?
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:48 pm

And it was going so well...

I'm glad to see everyone's rancour and bile rising to meet the challenge. It's about time we had some decent ranting about bands and genres. It's what RockSoc was founded on...

This month, I have mostly been hating...

Andrew WK (Just because. I once made the mistake of putting a burn of 'Party Hard' onto a compilation. And now my CD collection is forever tainted...)

Creed (Have you seen the video for 'My Sacrifice'?! Narcissism to the extreme...)

Gary Numan (shoot me if you like - I'm just getting pissed off at his 'make one song several times over' attitude)

Good Charlotte (for too much bloody airtime!!)

Manic Street Preachers (for sucking arse since Gold Against The Soul)

Stereophonics (for not changing anyone's opinions of South Wales rock)

Ozzy (but only for 'Dreamer'... well, maybe for a few others too actually...)

And Kelly Osbourne too! Tell the bloody girl to shut up - she can't sing!

[hr]Life is like a flat pack cupboard - no instructions, and not enough screws.
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Endemoniada on Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:15 pm

Now you see, I don't really mind Gary Numan. Obviously his music was very influential a,d sometimes quite listenable, but what I really appreciate is how he recently did that bizarre "lets-make-music-that-sounds-just-like-Nine-Inch-Nails-who-make-music-that-sounds-just-like-Gary-Numan-who-is-me" reinvention of himself.

Imagine what could happen if more musicians tried that...

Morrissey copying Gene,
Radiohead copying Muse,
Sonic Youth copying Trail Of Dead,
Micheal Jackson copying Justin Timberlake,
Madonna copying Britney Spears...

the possibilities are endless!

Edited because I decided to nick Clouds layout.
Endemoniada

Re:

Postby Cloud on Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:18 pm

That's a damn good idea. I can't think of many more than the ones you mentioned though... apart from -

Rod Stewart copying Stereophonics
Greenday copying Blink 182
The Rolling Stones copying The Hives
Bob Dylan copying Bright Eyes
Pearl Jam copying Creed
TSOL copying Offspring

and that's all.

Good game though.
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Portly Steve on Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:25 pm

[s]Endemoniada wrote on 20:15, 8th Jul 2003:
"lets-make-music-that-sounds-just-like-Nine-Inch-Nails-who-make-music-that-sounds-just-like-Gary-Numan-who-is-me"

Thankyou, Now my head hurts.

Just blame it all on fear factory.

One minute gary is flogging old studio equipment just to keep his plane from remembering gravity, next some LA shouties do a cover and suddenly he's the messiah, inspiration to everyone who knows a bandwagon when they see it.

BTW, if anyone wants Garys' analogue sequencer (big sodding heavy thing apparently) I hear its still knocking around the warehouse at work.

[hr]
[s]
Fear is the Mindkiller
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion
[/s]
Portly Steve

Re:

Postby Scunthorpe on Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:41 pm

Don't have that as your tag Steve. Little James always said that when walking into exams and it used to drive me mad.

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
Scunthorpe

Re:

Postby Portly Steve on Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:41 pm

[s]Scunthorpe wrote on 15:41, 15th Jul 2003:
Don't have that as your tag Steve. Little James always said that when walking into exams and it used to drive me mad.

[hr]The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.

I must not fear
fear is the mindkiller
fear is the little death that brings total oblivion

Nietzsche or Peter (fuzz buddy) puppy?

A minor set back

[hr]
[s]
Fear is the Mindkiller
Fear is the little death that brings total oblivion
[/s]
Portly Steve

Re:

Postby Blessed Benediction on Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:58 pm

back to the Evanescence are they Christian question. here's a piece of news from ages ago apparently back in April, when they hadn't even enterred our hallowed British charts.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/03/april/item31.shtml

seems like the band aren't quite so Christian-friendly as some folk may have believed. yes they do have Christian beliefs but it doesn't look as though they'll be pandering to the Christian market much.

Blessed Benediction

Re:

Postby little missy on Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:51 pm

Back to the topic of the thread - two words for you...

Avril Levigne

little missy

Re:

Postby Cloud on Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:31 pm

Good call

I'd like to add Good Charlotte and New Found Glory
Cloud

Evanescence - My 3 or 4 cents.

Postby Kelly on Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:21 pm

Very very nice people actually. Great band. And you know what? When you acutalyl SEE and HEAr them live you realize something - wether you enjoy the music ior not or even if you hate thier image or whatever they came out with a TOTALLY new music wave. New sound is very rare these days. ALSO my poitn about them live is thay Amy Lee's voice is completley untouched. What i mean is you know how sometimes you heara CD and the music is great, then you see them live and they sound totalyl awful (like Good Charlotte for example). She sounds incredible live, amzing actually. I applaude them. They've been around for awhile you know. Like @ least 6 years before they blew up, so they aren't man or studio made. They arent even MTV made! Can you believe I sold their autographs on ebay for over $77! And the Origin CD (the first on very rare) I have is going for $177 already!!! WTF? Craziness.

~ Kelly ~
Kelly

Re:

Postby Sim on Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:28 pm

Evanescence, new? I beg to differ. They sound like the bizarre love-child of some fateful orgy twixt Linkin Park, All About Eve and garbage. And the album becomes increidbly tedious after track 3. Nonetheless, expect them to make an 'appearance' at Rocksoc.
Sim

Re:

Postby benedict on Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:50 pm

Orgy rocked. shame the only song of theirs that gets much play in Rock clubs is their version of Blue Monday. a good enough cover but it falls short of the original as there's not enough synth & the drum programming falls several suburbs short of New Order's. Fiction & Stitches would be most welcome on the dance floors.

'Nonetheless, expect them to make an 'appearance' at Rocksoc.'

very clever ('evanescence (ev'e-nes'ens ): a dissipation or disappearance like vapor').

benedict

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:43 pm

[s]benedict wrote on 18:50, 25th Sep 2003:
'[i]Nonetheless, expect them to make an 'appearance' at Rocksoc.
'

very clever ('evanescence (ev'e-nes'ens ): a dissipation or disappearance like vapor').

[/i]

Oh, I thought he meant an Evanescence song will be played at Rocksoc. But the band themselves aren't going to appear... hence the apostophes... I mean, having a song played is hardly making an appearance... never mind.

PS: They suck, mostly because there's not a single ounce of originality about them
Cloud

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:34 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 19:43, 25th Sep 2003:
PS: They suck, mostly because there's not a single ounce of originality about them

originiality is nice, as there's nothing like hearing a song that's totally different to anything else you've ever heard.

however, sometimes doing something so much better than everybody else can be good as well.

[hr]
I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Cloud on Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:01 am

I agree. I will gladly listen to bands like White Stripes who are in no way whatsoever original, but they are talented and can write a damn fine tune. The most original band out there are probably The Mars Volta, no-one else makes music like that.
Cloud

Re:

Postby Portly Steve on Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:42 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 03:01, 26th Sep 2003:
...The Mars Volta, no-one else makes music like that.

There's a reason for that
Portly Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Rocksoc