Home

TheSinner.net

what bands you have discovered (recently?)

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Re:

Postby Cloud on Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:44 pm

Doesn't annoy me, they're a good band... in moderation ;-)
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby benedict on Wed May 05, 2004 10:09 pm

interesting. turns out VNV Nation were very much influenced by Goa Trance. doesn't surprise me too much, given the simlarities. anyone with a passing interest in VNV & other such EBM would do well to track down & sample a bit of Goa. not too different to the music of Faithless without the vocals.

oddly enough Ronan (of VNV) mentionned how Goa had become exploited by producers which had tainted the sound. however, i found it refreshing as a result of listening to too many bad EBM bands trying to rip off VNV.

here's the interview with the bloke:

http://www.hard-wired.org.uk
benedict

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu May 06, 2004 7:47 am

since this has been bumped, i thought i'd chip in with my new bands.

Stellastarr* - their album is quality, with only one song that i always skip (the awful no weather). They sound a lot like talking heads, and their video for single "my coco" is a blatant copy of Wild Wild Life.

not that that's a bad thing.

I'm going to see them at T in the Park, which should be a good gig.

also check out the electric soft parade, or at least Bruxellisation - an early shoo-in for Cain's award of best song he discovered in 2004.

[hr]
I will diminish, and go into fourth year, and remain Cain
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Slash wannabe on Thu May 06, 2004 8:56 pm

Motley Crue lol!

I know but its so damm right sleazy its good to listen to sometimes.

[hr]IMAGE:www.queensofthestoneage.com/images/logo_qotsa.gif
IMAGE:www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~es54/images/slashlogo.gif
[i:3tscad2j]One step from lashing out at you again[/i:3tscad2j]
Slash wannabe

Bands I have recently discovered

Postby Joesta on Mon May 10, 2004 3:08 pm

The Decemberists - actually I discovered them a while ago but they are so good I rediscovered their genius.

Funeral for a friend - interesting
Joesta

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu May 13, 2004 1:29 pm

[s]Joesta wrote on 16:08, 10th May 2004:[i]
The Decemberists

"I say your ucle was a crooked french canadian and he was gunshot running gin!"

Great band. Do you listen to Neutral Milk Hotel? Decemberists get frequently accused of ripping them off, they are quite similar I guess.

Everyone listen to Wire.

[hr]
Cloud

Re:

Postby benedict on Fri May 21, 2004 1:05 am

not so much a recent discovery, rather more an outfit that i've recently grown a taste for. the German darkwave/industrial/ebm band Haujobb.

a band that appear to come from the same school of industrial as :Wumpscut:, in that they've both learned lessons from Skinny Puppy of employing minor key melodies & prominent use of synthesisers. however, Haujobb are different to many ebm bands in that they don't rely on 4 on the floor beats to carry the songs. instead Haujobb utilise a variety of beats, of particular note when they make use of breakbeats.

another way in which they break the mould of many ebm/industrial acts is in their lyrics. whereas many current ebm/industrial groups have a tendancy to resort to overly serious lyrics & delivery, Haujobb come across as rather more matter of fact with rather more subtle hints of the menace & paranoia displayed by titles such as Eye Over You & The Cage Complex.

The Cage Complex an example of how Haujobb managed to get away with incorporating a jazz element sligthly more succesfully than Radiohead did with their The National Anthem & the LP it appeared on, Kid A.

all in all Haujobb deserve rather more attention than they currently receive & any follower of ebm/industrial who enjoys futuristic soundscapes would do well to give them some time.
benedict

Re:

Postby Cloud on Fri May 21, 2004 2:49 pm

Jawbox.

[hr][s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby Starla on Tue May 25, 2004 8:01 pm

Rasputina!

[hr]"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu May 27, 2004 6:19 pm

[s]Cloud wrote on 15:49, 21st May 2004:
Jawbox.

Never listened to Jawbox, though I would like to. Jawbreaker are amazing though, have you heard them. Other post-hardcore bands to get into are, Bluetip, Cap'n Jazz, Retisonic and Nation of Ulysses

Oh one last thing,

You kick ass Cloud!
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Cloud on Thu May 27, 2004 8:39 pm

Jawbox are better than all those bands except Nation Of Ulysses.

Check out their album "For Your Own Special Sweetheart", which caused an outrour when it was released because they were the first band to leave Dischord for a major label. But it's damn good.

While I'm posting -

Shudder To Think
One Last Wish
The Wrens
Yo La Tengo

Cloud

Re:

Postby md25 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:28 am

I've been listening to waaaaay too much Paradise Lost recently, they're pretty good and if you like Type O Negative, etc you might like them...
md25

Re:

Postby little missy on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:48 am

[s]md25 wrote on 08:28, 1st Jun 2004:
I've been listening to waaaaay too much Paradise Lost recently, they're pretty good and if you like Type O Negative, etc you might like them...

I object. There's no such thing as too much Paradise Lost.
little missy

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:23 pm

feel free to ignore 99% of you, but there's a decent band around from Germany called Panic DHH. i saw them open for KMFDM a while ago, they were good although i wasn't raving about them at the time. i did like them nevertheless.

but upon hearing their debut LP i have reason to praise them rather more. they sound very raw & very heavy yet contrast with moments of ambience where the threat of further heaviness hangs waiting in the air. they sound rather like another German band, Sielwolf who are one the more recent band's i've been championing.

sadly Sielwolf don't seem to be around anymore from what i can tell. Panic DHH very much are though. a mix of hardcore played at thrash tempo with elements of industrial. it's quite severe stuff. the bloke who fronts the band is the guitarist for Alec Empire, which may give an idea of what to expect.

i'd recommend them to anyone who favours a bit of extremity.
benedict

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:11 am

here's another decent band for your attention. a Glaswegian bloke called Rico who plays a fairly interesting brand of industrial. though really it would be slightly unfair to pigeonhole too much as there's a fair bit of a dark hip-hop influence to his stuff too.

i bought one of his singles years ago & only recently decided to buy the record which it was lifted from. to my pleasant surprise on the weekend i found a new record of his on a recommended stall of a well known record outlet.

turns out he'll be touring in September as well. well worth a watch if anyone's sufficiently interested.

for more details, & to watch some of his videos, visit:

http://www.rico.co.uk

his 1st record received universally good reviews yet failed to get much exposure. it looks like people have started to pay a bit more attention this time round.
benedict

Previous

Return to Rocksoc