Home

TheSinner.net

Rocksoc invasion of The Misson

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Rocksoc invasion of The Misson

Postby little missy on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:47 am

I was fortunate enough to bag a lift (from a very kindly man) to Edinburgh last weekend and had my first Mission experience. I found it fairly similar in atmosphere, populace and music to most other rock clubs I've been to - full of pretentious people and with the delicious smell of sweat and ming hitting you as soon as you walk through the door.

That aside, the set lists ensured that the dance floor was never empty, the drinks were no more expensive than any other club and, most importantly, it wasn't St Andrews!

Although the people I went with were lovely and shiny, it must be said that I would have had more fun if there'd been a few more people I knew there. So, conclusion being: what do we think of a Rocksoc trip to the mish?
little missy

Re:

Postby LittleMissNaughty on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:04 am

I would've been there had I any money this weekend, so on that note I'm up for a trip! It'd be cool to get something organised other than the fortnightly discos.
LittleMissNaughty

Re:

Postby xm_peex on Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:29 pm

Sounds like a plan to me. I'd be up for it, but would need advance warning to get time off work and get my butt out of the shit hole that is Kirkcaldy.
living in a world that protects fools
xm_peex

Re:

Postby little missy on Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:10 pm

[s]xm_peex wrote on 15:29, 10th Nov 2003:
Sounds like a plan to me. I'd be up for it, but would need advance warning to get time off work and get my butt out of the shit hole that is Kirkcaldy.

You're closer to edinburgh then!
little missy

Re:

Postby xm_peex on Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:49 pm

True, the trouble is that now I'm here it is very difficult to get away without large amounts of crap from the parental units, even to get to St Andrews. Not gonna be out for a while though due to work commitments so hopefully I should make it.
living in a world that protects fools
xm_peex

Re:

Postby Simon on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:37 pm

Glad those that came down enjoyed themselves - even if the end of the night was completely disorganised and chaotic, but hopefully you lot will make it down here en masse at some point - saves me a trip to St A to see you all anyway :-)

Crash space can be organised too - better than Staurday's was anyway, cos I've now found the extra missing mattress !! Crash space for 7 is available in Edinburgh (counting sofas and not counting the extra Kev or Jools that always seems to appear)

Trust, me, I'm not a doctor! :D
Simon

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:35 pm

i remember the plans to go to the Cathouse last year that seemed not to materialise in the end. being back home at the moment is a godsend so a night outside of the walls of St Andrew's sounds like an equally inviting prospect. a mass onslaught of a rock club seems like a most welcome suggestion.

frankly i wish RockSoc would go so far as making it a vaguely semi-regular thing. once every 4 or 6 weeks hardly seems like overdoing it for example. still at least the Maiden trip should be a fuckin' blast.

[hr]high tech biscuits rock
benedict

Re:

Postby KMart Cowgirl on Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:02 am

I'm game for a trip, always looking for an excuse to get out of st. andrews. just be sure to give me enough warning so i can make sure to have the day off work.
"I got into an arguement with my rice crispies. I distinctly heard 'snap, crackle, fuck you!' I'm not sure which one of them said it, but I heard it and I said, 'well, you can all just sit right there in the milk as far as I'm concerned, until I find out which one of you said it.' Mass Punishment--the idea is to turn them against eachother." -Emily Krueger...my fave Jersey Girl!
KMart Cowgirl

Re:

Postby Simon on Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:30 am

Mission runs fortnightly at the mo, so the remaining dates this term are:

Nov 22nd, Dec 6th and Dec 20th.

I guess Dec 20th is probably past end of term, so you have a choice of two. Dec 6th seem plausible? Maybe have a sign-up list at the next Rocksoc and see if it's worth a minibus? I'll leave you lot to organise the details. If it's more than a busload - as I said above - I'll put a few up overnight if required.

Not trying to be presumptious, but is it worth mailing the Rocksoc membership and seeing if anyone's interested as only a small proportion of the membership read this board. Dec 6th's only three weeks away and we all know how long it takes to organise anything in St A :-)

Where you find a driver willing to stay out until 4am and not drink is another matter though... :-O
Simon

Re:

Postby little missy on Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:44 pm

Dec 6th is a good plan I think.

Where you find a driver willing to stay out until 4am and not drink is another matter though... :-O

We shall use bribery with drinks, sexual favours and possibly money. Maybe blackmail...?
little missy

Re:

Postby little missy on Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:00 pm

There'll be a sign up sheet for interest in going on a trip to the Mission and possibly elsewhere. Nothing will happen til after Christmas but if you think its a good idea and you'd like to go on a trip to to a rock club in the near future then make sure you put your name down. Cheers
little missy

cabbage

Postby little missy on Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:35 am

The sign up sheet will, of course, be at tonights rocksoc. What, aren't you guys telepathic?! (Psychopathic more like)

I'm such a cabbage
little missy

Re:

Postby shivaree on Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:39 am

Is it too late to be added to said list of people wanting to go to the Mission? Damn dissertation kept me away from the last rocksoc.
shivaree

Re:

Postby little missy on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:45 am

It wouldn't be if I'd actually got my shit together and had a list. Not to worry, it won't be til after Christmas now. Maybe we'll have a list at next rocksoc...or maybe we won't. Who can tell?
little missy

Re:

Postby Dunk on Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:30 pm

Stop - being Lame - You've got a week to organize a trip. Thats loads of time.

Anyone willing to Drive (KEVIN) post here, else meet in Simons flat at 1930 for pre mission drinks and pizza.

How's that?

Simon feel free not to tell anyone where you live ;)
Dunk

Re:

Postby Simon on Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:26 am

Thanks for volunteering me Dunk! Might be a bit awkward if I'm at the ice hockey until 9 though, huh?

If folks are coming down - oficially Rocksoc or otherwise - probably better to meet in the pub (Malt Shovel anyone?) or mine after 9. You're welcome to turn up at my flat at 7:30 if you wish, but you'll probably just get a very confused Neil!

Edit: As for not telling them where I live - far too many already know. No escaping it that way.
Simon

Re:

Postby benedict on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:59 am

any updates of the afforementionned RockSoc invasion?
benedict

Re:

Postby blondie on Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:42 pm

Ooh, I'm not a rocksoccer, but I remember (kind of) the shaping of my teenage-ness that was sneaking into the Mission/Asylum every sat...got all excited when I found this thread.
They're shutting down Studio 24 & The Venue soon :(
Still, make the most of 'em while you can.
blondie

There will be this time - promise!

Postby little missy on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:10 pm

There will be a sign up sheet for indicating interest (not signing your life away or anything) in a rocksoc trip to the mission at Saturday's disco. We really need a minibus full (15ish) to make it viable.

We will either need a driver who is willing to stay sober (sober can be fun too!) or else sort out some sort of accomodation, youth hostel or something. We'll need a driver anyway so do let us know if you'd be willing to drive and have or can get a minibus licence.

The Mission rock night is every other saturday (on this weekend).
little missy

Re:

Postby Simon on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:22 pm

IF it ends up being fewer numbers (or more than a minibus-full) and trips by car, I may be able to provide accomodation for up to about 8, but that depends on when and if folks are willing to be overly friendly (i.e. doubling up on mattresses).

And, having spoken to someone who works there, he seems to think rumours of Studio 24's demise are greatly exaggerated.
Simon

Next

Return to Rocksoc