Home

TheSinner.net

DJ Tryouts

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

DJ Tryouts

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:25 pm

Hello All.

Its that time of the year again. As some of our illustrious DJ's are set to move on, Rocksoc calls upon its young hopefuls to take over.

Any of you who desire to become a DJ should leave a CD or Tape of a representative Setlist in the R box of the Union society pigeon holes and address it to the Ents officer Jenna Hunter. Time is of the essence so get them in before the next Rocksoc if you can - that gives just under a fortnight.

A few guidelines.

Sets should around about an hours worth, or as much as you can fit in if your recording Medium won't allow that long.

Candidates should attempt to compile a set that is varied, cohesive and entertaining.

Achieving the right balance between Rocksoc friendly material and one's own personal contibution is essential. Use common sense here.

Remember - Live Cradle of Filth might be awesome on your stereo, but will sound bloody awful coming of the DJ booth regardless. So look for songs that will work.

I include these guidlines really only to make sure that some of the contributions are good - anyone who remembers the old methpod of trying candidates out on the night will recall a very painful experience.

I'll shut up now. Go for it, and with any luck, adulation and free beer will be yours!!

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:58 pm

When are the tryouts???

I handed in a cd in a few months ago, so when will i hear???
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby benedict on Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:18 pm

variation is useful. hence why i won't apply. whilst some may appreciate an hour of Puppy it's unlikely anyone will. just thought i'd point out the obvious.

one more question anyhow:

are burned CDs welcomed?

the last i heard (from Mark) they weren't supposedly allowed. in which case prospective DJs may be advised to do some searching around to try & pick up a few properly decent compilations of Goth, Classic Rock, Old School Metal or whatever to make up for gaps in their record collections.
benedict

Re:

Postby Kytheraen on Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:26 am

[s]Rectalprobe wrote on 14:58, 23rd Feb 2004:
When are the tryouts???

I handed in a cd in a few months ago, so when will i hear???

What we're gonna do is take all the CDs/tapes (of which yours is the only one so far) and listen to them with the committee. We will then decide who is best for the job, and contact them. Also probably contact the people who didn't quite make the cut.

You'll hear at some point. Hopefully soon. After the next RockSoc
Kytheraen

Re:

Postby Joesta on Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:58 pm

*Joesta rushes out to get a blank CD
Joesta

Re:

Postby Joesta on Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:39 am

[s]Joesta wrote on 18:58, 24th Feb 2004:
*Joesta rushes out to get a blank CD

Well I bought the CD, put some songs on it and after handing it in, am left wondering, when we shall hear the results?
[hr]
Words without actions are the assassins of idealism.
Herbert Hoover (1874 - 1964)
Joesta

Return to Rocksoc