Home

TheSinner.net

Queen...

Welcome to the RockSoc board, it gets worse here every day... talk about RockSoc, rock music, plain rocks or other silly irrelevant drivel. All are welcome: members & non-members, of the past, present & future.

Queen...

Postby Fugaziboy on Thu May 27, 2004 6:16 pm

Queen are such horrible band. Why does everyone rave on about them? They are so cheesy and pompous. Compared to other bands of that time like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush etc they sound positively pathetic. I'm sick to death of Bohemian Rhapsody! They get too much credit for their pathetic music whereas those bands I mentioned get virtually none.

Rant over
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Rectalprobe on Fri May 28, 2004 3:15 am

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO SHARES MY VIEW THAT IF A BAND WRITES ONE SEMI DECENT SONG THEYR STILL SHIT!!! - well sorry queen are
Rectalprobe

Re:

Postby underworlddreams on Fri May 28, 2004 5:02 am

Maybe I'm old before my time, but I've never thought that writing your (badly constructed) argument with your caps lock on makes you any more believable.

Queen are not shit. However, I will say that you're entitled to your opinion, though it would be better if you had just said that you don't like them, or you don't think they deserve the praise as they get... whatever - you get the point. It's an opinion, so try phrasing it like an opinion instead of an absolute - it makes you seem like a twat (in the 'I'm right, you're wrong' sense.)

But, all of that aside, and, since you've started the ill-phrased and presented comments on how good/bad Queen is...

YOUR RONG! QUENE ARENT SHIT! THERE THE BEST FUCKIGN BAND IN THE WORLD!!!! THEY ROOL!

[hr]They say that if you play a Windows Install CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. That's nothing - play it forwards, and it installs Windows...
underworlddreams

Re:

Postby Hex on Fri May 28, 2004 10:42 am

uwd++

Rectalprobe - so which is their half decent song?
Hex

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Fri May 28, 2004 10:46 am

Their appeal has never caught onto me. I cannot believe song as dreadful as 'Radio Ga Ga' and 'It's a kind of magic could be so popular. It seems strange to me that relatively well educated individuals could write such appalling drival. Then team up with tossers like Five. Proof that they are sellouts. and I feel the same about Jimmy Page teaming up with Puff Daddy. Pink Floyd were 10 times more talented and have not received half the acclaim they justly observe.

It's pathetic.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Fri May 28, 2004 10:49 am

[s]Hex wrote on 11:42, 28th May 2004:
uwd++

Rectalprobe - so which is their half decent song?

My guess is it's Bohemian Rhapsody.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby JamieMalk on Fri May 28, 2004 4:17 pm

Queen didn't team up with Five, Brian May and John Deacon teamed up with Five. Queen ceased existing as an entity when Freddy passed away. They recorded allot of good songs in my opinion, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that. The reason they are popular is because they are liked by allot of people. The most likely reason for them sticking in peoples minds more than the other bands you mentioned is probably due to Freddy's showmanship and ability to please fans visually as well as audibly through the music videos the band produced. To be honest, I probably think Pink Floyd is at least as recognizable as a name as Queen, its just they're music wasn't as easy to get into.

And please, don't talk about sellouts. If there is one thing that really annoys my about music discussions is when the term sellout is unleashed. Generally by people who wish to seem retarded. And they normally succeed...
JamieMalk

Re:

Postby Joesta on Sat May 29, 2004 2:36 am

Not a great Queen fan but some of their songs are catchy, and they have inspired many inc. the darkness, which sound almost identical but with a 21st centrary 'mainstream' twist.
Joesta

Re:

Postby benedict on Sat May 29, 2004 9:19 pm

'Jimmy Page teaming up with Puff Daddy'

i'd take the Diddy over the Plant any day. i've never liked Zeppelin much. some good songs &/or parts of songs here & there but i can't stand Plant or Page. Come With Me was pretty decent, he took the best part of Kashmir & made it rock rather than doing what Zeppelin did which was to throw in plenty of aimless pretentious lyrics & stretch the song out sufficiently thin for the main riff to disappear into insignificance. Diddy's I'll Be Missing You was a great track too. on a par with Every Breath You Take, roughly speaking.
benedict

Re:

Postby Sebastian on Sat May 29, 2004 10:08 pm

Really starting to feel an almost uncontrollable urge to slap fugaziboy with a wet fish.

Sellout is complete arse - either a band is good or not, thats all there is to it. I presume you're trying to piss people off through some bizarre masochistic urge to have everyone dislike you. Its definately working.
Sebastian

Re:

Postby Cloud on Sun May 30, 2004 4:36 am

I don't care about Queen. I passionately HATE Pink Floyd and I never want to see thier name and that of the godlike Led Zeppelin in the same sentence.

Benedict, buy the first four Led Zeppelin albums in chronological order. They will change your life.

[hr][s]I want your skulls[/s]
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby World's worst superhero on Sun May 30, 2004 4:20 pm

[s]Fugaziboy wrote on 11:46, 28th May 2004:
... Pink Floyd were 10 times more talented and have not received half the acclaim they justly observe.

It's pathetic.

Apart from being hailed as one of the most influential bands of all time. Have you checked their record sales either? One of the biggest selling bands as well.

But I agree with my grandkid Cloud,

I hate Pink Floyd with a passion too.

Danny
World's worst superhero

Re:

Postby JonCore on Mon May 31, 2004 5:10 pm

[s]JamieMalk wrote on 17:17, 28th May 2004:
The reason they are popular is because they are liked by allot of people.

I like Queen, but when phrasing an argument, surely this sentence is pointless. You just said that the reason they are popular is because they are popular. What?

I'm not even being pedantic, thats just a stupid comment.
JonCore

Re:

Postby Fugaziboy on Mon May 31, 2004 6:41 pm

I cannot believe most people here hate Pink Floyd, they were visionaries. So ahead of their time. Intelligent and not afraid to experiment.
Fugaziboy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon May 31, 2004 6:53 pm

I have a really bad habit of stating the obvious and it sometimes gets me in trouble but perhaps the moral of this entire thread is that everyone has different tastes and interpretations of everything. Sounds kinda gay but i think thats it right there.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon May 31, 2004 6:53 pm

I have a reall bad habit of stating the obvious and it sometimes gets me in trouble but perhaps the moral of this entire thread is that everyone has different tastes and interpretations of everything. Sounds kinda gay but i think thats it right there.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby athaclena on Mon May 31, 2004 6:58 pm

It's funny but the only people who seem to really like Pink Floyd are massive stoners. Probably because you have to be at least caned out of your mind to understand any of it. Despite being comfortably familiar with said experience I don't like them. But then, I think the Stones are shit too. Blame the ex-presidente for that.

On the subject of Queen I think they were one of the finest bands ever, let alone out of Britain, whose public acclaim is definately deserved, and who wrote some of the best pop tunes of all time. Bohemian Rhapsody is still one of my favourite songs ever. It has been for eight or nine years now, and I can't see me ever getting sick of it.

[hr]"Freddy lives!"
athaclena

Re:

Postby Dave on Mon May 31, 2004 7:54 pm

Queen are quite good.

Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated.

Pink Floyd are like The Orb, only not as good.

Sorted.
Dave

Re:

Postby Cloud on Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:59 am

The reason Queen were so popular is all to do with timing. They were in the right place at the right time - the birth of music television. They used their image to their advantage through their stage presence and through their music videos to get recognised by everyone they could reach. Looking back on it, they do seem quite ridiculous: very camp, very pompous, very over-dramatic, but back then they were doing something that no other band was doing and that's what made them popular. Maybe they're not the best band in the history of music, but you can see why so many people like them.

[hr][s]I want your skulls[/s]
[s]I want your skulls[/s]
Cloud

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:44 pm

[s]athaclena wrote on 20:58, 31st May 2004:
It's funny but the only people who seem to really like Pink Floyd are massive stoners.

I really like Pink Floyd. I've been using this signature line for the last year or so. I've even got the reggae/dub cover album of Dark Side of the Moon (it's very good, called Dub Side of the Moon if anyone's interested). So that kinda blows your theory out of the water, don't it?

Oh, and Queen where great for the exact reasons this person doesn't seem to like them, they mad stupidly huge, pompous, dramatic music. It's more fun than real life. Like Muse who make insanely huge, pompous, dramatic music. It's all kinda silly but that can only add to the appeal. As for a half-descent Queen song, maybe one of the album tracks offof Hot Space, some of them where kinda week.

[hr]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Next

Return to Rocksoc