Home

TheSinner.net

Who won?

The Official Board for St Andrews Assassins 2006. Check rules, gloat over victories or moan about your early death. Please note you must be a registered user to post on this board

Who won?

Postby Frank on Mon May 08, 2006 8:24 pm

That simple, if killing ended on Friday, and there've been no more reports in since before then...

I believe that both 804 and Red5 are joint top with three kills, though my maths could easily be wrong...

Anything here?
Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby swerg on Mon May 08, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi

Sorry, I've been kind of busy with revising for exams - I should have worked harder during the semester!!!

Anyway, I shall work out who has won, and send round an email with everyone in the game, and who was who etc. as soon as i have time. My last exam is on tuesday 16th so probably won't be until after then!!!

Sorry for the delay!
swerg

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sat May 13, 2006 1:18 pm

For the next game, I propose an online registration and game-tracking system that assigns targets and emails participants accordingly. This would take a great weight off the umpire and organisers! It would still be cool to have people writing the rather elaborate, exaggerated reports though!

Anyone want to volunteer to help code such a system?
Thackary

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sat May 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Quoting Thackary from 14:18, 13th May 2006
For the next game, I propose an online registration and game-tracking system that assigns targets and emails participants accordingly. This would take a great weight off the umpire and organisers! It would still be cool to have people writing the rather elaborate, exaggerated reports though!

Anyone want to volunteer to help code such a system?

I've been having thoughts somewhere along those lines myself (though I have no coding experience whatsoever, unless you count messing around with that turtle thing at school). If I get time after the exams I want to do a sort of 'Assassins Review' on what the trial run has shown, things that need to be changed etc. I think the running of the game may be something that requires an actual team with very clear roles - a person to go to about rule queries, a person to go to about disputed kills, a person (or automated system, as you said) to sort out who's killing who etc. The trouble is that if it gets too complicated then obviously it becomes more difficult to run, and there are more possible ways for it to go wrong!

I'd say the exaggerated reports are a must, it makes the game more fun for people who aren't playing. :)
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sat May 13, 2006 5:05 pm

Some more thoughts on the automated report/distribution system: how exactly would it work? I'm imagining a form to fill in something like:

Player: (automatically filled in because they would have to register and therefore presumably log in, as you said)
Nature of report: a choice of
- Made an attempt on...
- Was attempted upon by...
- Killed...
- Was killed by...
Other player: (possibly drop-down list to avoid problems with mis-spelling?)
Further on nature of report:
- None
- Kill was in self-defence
- Rule infraction
Weapon used: (free box to be filled in, I guess)
Time and Place: (ditto)
Other info: (likewise)

...but already that seems to be getting a bit complicated, to me at least (though I have just sat an exam so I'm not at my mental peak!), and it's not even factoring in things like Police, Wanted players and Incompetent players. I guess the reason why I added the 'rule infraction' bit is so it's a way of flagging it up for the Umpire and telling the program to take no e-mailing action until it's been resolved.

I suppose that may be a problem with any kind of reporting program: ultimately it's going to require human input/surveillance, because there were a lot of times in the game where there were disputed kills, or someone was attempted upon but didn't know who by, or people not making reports when they died or were attempted upon (leading to our accidental dead-ifying of Mr 804... whoops).

At the very least some sort of algorithm for assigning targets (with rules like 'where possible, do not create target-assassin AND assassin-target relationships between two players') which could then be used by a human would be handy because it eliminates the possibility of bias.

...I think I'm done rambling now.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby swerg on Sat May 13, 2006 9:11 pm

Yeah, I think that the assassins needs a look over before the next game. Perhaps we could all meet up something (perhaps thursday evening?) because as an umpire i don't know what it's like the play the game, and assassins don't know what it's like the umpire/organise the game. So inputs from both sides would be great!

I agree we need a team of people to organise the game, but I also think that there needs to be just one Umpire to over see the whole game, and the umpire has the last word in decisions. One, this will help co-ordinate the game better, and Two, it will resolve any disputes (if they arose) between the organisers over any decisions.

Also with the automated system, Oli Walker has contacted me about a possible system that automatically assigns targets. Not sure about any other automated systems yet.

I think that perhaps a daily email should be sent out, as a general email to everyone with the format of:

- Who has be killed and by who (that has been updated)
- Current police men
- Wanted list
- Incompetence list

I think its best to keep it as simple as possible, and i don't think everyone needs to know time, and weapon used. If they wanted to know then they can just read the elaborated reports. But I do think its important that people know who has died so far, and perhaps how many people have left.

I will publish the official who has won etc. on tuesday (when my exams are over - yey!)
swerg

Re:

Postby swerg on Sat May 13, 2006 9:11 pm

Yeah, I think that the assassins needs a look over before the next game. Perhaps we could all meet up something (perhaps thursday evening?) because as an umpire i don't know what it's like the play the game, and assassins don't know what it's like the umpire/organise the game. So inputs from both sides would be great!

I agree we need a team of people to organise the game, but I also think that there needs to be just one Umpire to over see the whole game, and the umpire has the last word in decisions. One, this will help co-ordinate the game better, and Two, it will resolve any disputes (if they arose) between the organisers over any decisions.

Also with the automated system, Oli Walker has contacted me about a possible system that automatically assigns targets. Not sure about any other automated systems yet.

I think that perhaps a daily email should be sent out, as a general email to everyone with the format of:

- Who has be killed and by who (that has been updated)
- Current police men
- Wanted list
- Incompetence list

I think its best to keep it as simple as possible, and i don't think everyone needs to know time, and weapon used. If they wanted to know then they can just read the elaborated reports. But I do think its important that people know who has died so far, and perhaps how many people have left.

I will publish the official who has won etc. on tuesday (when my exams are over - yey!)
swerg

Re:

Postby Frank on Sat May 13, 2006 10:37 pm

An important thing I came across was that targets literally could be untraceable. I feel that the 'facebook factor' should perhaps be reduced, thus when you are assigned a target, you get:

- Name & Nickname
- Year of study & Name of Degree [not classes, assassins can work that out themselves with a bit of a guess...]
- Hall or Street of residence [no numbers]
- A decent photograph of the target

Seems the kind of thing you'd expect to be givn if you wee hired to kill someone.

An automated system is useful for the Umpire, but not imperative for the game IMO. The above is needed as some people are almost/entirely untraceable with *only* a name. Requires people to be skilled in avoiding assassins, not simply switching up the privacy settings on Facebook.

Frank

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Frank

Re:

Postby swerg on Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Yeah I agree.

I think a standard degree of information is allowed. Everyone should have a passport photo from their uni record card that they can save onto their computer and email to the umpire upon registration. Perhaps degree intention, but maybe not where they live. We don't want to make it too easy for the assassins!!!
swerg

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sat May 13, 2006 11:30 pm

Possibly it's just me, but I think it would be better if assassins weren't told the nicknames of their targets (though the other information - year, subject etc. I'd say is fine and kind of necessary for playing!) in a 'maintaining the fourth wall' kind of fashion. Might also encourage people to read the reports (to find out what their target's name actually was) as well, which increases participation in the game and so on. I was expecting more of a 'community' (wrong word, but it's late at night and I can't think) to appear here on The Sinner - as it was it felt like most people weren't bothering to read the reports which I thought was a bit of a shame, but maybe that's some sort of egotist everyone-must-read-my-writings thing. :)
Amorphous

Re:

Postby JM on Sat May 13, 2006 11:53 pm

the reports were very cool! you done well :P

[hr]

edit: im betting you'll be skiving and will have read this within 5 minutes of it being posted

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sun May 14, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting JM from 00:53, 14th May 2006
edit: im betting you'll be skiving and will have read this within 5 minutes of it being posted

Just read it now, actually. :P
Amorphous

Re:

Postby David on Sun May 14, 2006 6:10 pm

how about getting the real names of your targets and the nicknames of the people trying to kill you?
David

Re:

Postby Frank on Sun May 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting David from 19:10, 14th May 2006
how about getting the real names of your targets and the nicknames of the people trying to kill you?

That sounds like a better idea IMO.

Frank

[hr]

Frank

Return to Assassins06