Home

TheSinner.net

WiredSoc Gaming Event: 6/2/05

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

WiredSoc Gaming Event: 6/2/05

Postby WiredSocAdmin on Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:05 am

Greetings,

On Sunday 6th of Feburary 2005, WiredSoc will be hosting a huge gaming event in Venue 1, where we hope to get as many people possible to come along. This is a FREE event, hosted and ran by the WiredSoc committee. This gaming event will include various types of gaming, from PC to Playstation, from small screen to BIG screen using the projectors.

The official start for the gaming event is 12pm (Midday) and will go on till late.

Due to the fact that people will want to bring their PC's with them, we will be offering a free pick-up and drop-off for those bringing computers. An online form will be set up in the next few days where you can book your free "taxi" from us. And we shall e-mail you to let you know of the time that you will be picked up between on the sunday morning. The committee will be there all day and will be easily contactable if anyone wishes to leave early, so they can get their computer back.

The big screen will be used for showing live feeds of games going on, and many different games will be played. Bring your playstation/x-box/gamecube and we will hook it up to the big screen and have competitions. Unfortunately, due to copyright laws, WiredSoc will not be issuing copies of any games except those that are legeally licensed for free distribution. But you are welcome to bring any game of your own along, and as long as someone else has it you can play to your hearts content.

Any further questions or queries on this event can be posted here or e-mailed to:
committee@wired.st-and.ac.uk

Or alternatively, those with MSN can contact "Elron" at the following address:
andyefc5 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Many thanks and i look forward to seeing you soon!

Andrew Bent (Elron)
WiredSoc President
WiredSocAdmin

Re:

Postby Lee.Cairns on Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:43 am

Sounds good, will there be a net connection there as well, or jsut the wireless one that is already in place? Also would anyone be up for some CSS? And will u be puttin up some posters elron, cuase if ppl can play consoles it might be quite a popular event

[hr]IMAGE:img13.exs.cx/img13/9327/bdpicbynic6nk.jpg
IMAGE:img13.exs.cx/img13/9327/bdpicbynic6nk.jpg
Lee.Cairns

Re:

Postby WiredSocAdmin on Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:42 pm

[s]Lee.Cairns wrote on 11:43, 20th Jan 2005:
Sounds good, will there be a net connection there as well, or jsut the wireless one that is already in place? Also would anyone be up for some CSS? And will u be puttin up some posters elron, cuase if ppl can play consoles it might be quite a popular event

Internet will be the wireless offered by the uni im afraid, unless we can somehow get a link into an internet switch. (and i cant be bothered posting as Elron just to say this next sentance - u all know its me) And i have CSS too and wanna play it. Posters have gone up already, but more are to go up soon!
WiredSocAdmin

Re:

Postby niall on Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:51 pm

you could always put a wireless access point outside venue one and havea wired network inside the venue, i believe mowhawk has a wireless access point
niall

Re:

Postby Elron on Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:28 pm

[s]dunqn wrote on 19:52, 20th Jan 2005:
Man, CS:S or a big load of wolf would be ACE. A quake3 match would be sweet as well.

I'm gonna practice on Q3 just so i can possibly come even slightly close to your ridiculously high score ;)
~Elron~
Former WiredSoc President
Elron

Re:

Postby David on Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:47 pm

i could maybe try some CS source or HL2 deathmatch fun, killing people with toilets....

but will there be version compatability issues? I cant update steam due to resnet so I think I have an older version (no CS bots)
David

Re:

Postby Elron on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:01 pm

[s]David wrote on 15:47, 21st Jan 2005:
i could maybe try some CS source or HL2 deathmatch fun, killing people with toilets....

but will there be version compatability issues? I cant update steam due to resnet so I think I have an older version (no CS bots)

There wont be version problems, as we should have an internet conenction available to use to download updates.
~Elron~
Former WiredSoc President
Elron

Re:

Postby smidge on Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:39 am

but do you think the ports necessary for steam will be open on the part of the network that's available in the union?

btw:- I'm very interested (in pc gaming mainly), but don't have hl2 as of yet (would like a better gpu before i play {geforce 3}), but have the older games, which will all play, including UT2004 (which works nicely).

[hr]smidge
[b:1r3j2i0v][i:1r3j2i0v]smidge[/i:1r3j2i0v][/b:1r3j2i0v]
smidge

Re:

Postby The Truth on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:44 pm

Any chance of WCIII: TFT being played?
Anyhow, css sounds like a good time.
It is only in winter that we know the cyprus and the pine to be evergreens.
The Truth

Re:

Postby andrewdalgleish on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:18 pm

ooh, should be able to make it, i'll let you guys know. Won't be able to bring my pc though, it'll be in Birmingham...

Andy.
andrewdalgleish

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:34 pm

Do we need to officially enter for this thing, or just turn up? I can bring my own Pc down. And are we playing over LAN or Resnet? I haven't been able to connect to Resnet for two weeks. Slightly suspicious, actually.

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:17 pm

I would say theres a good chance of some WC3:TFT. I know that myself and one other person play, with about 4 lazy bastards who haven't reinstalled it. I haven't met anyone who would be rated as decent on battle.net though.

Whats more likely to get some play is Dawn of War I think. Not a great RTS but recent enough...
Senethro

Re:

Postby Wired Webmaster on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:54 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 17:30, 25th Jan 2005:
Do we need to officially enter for this thing, or just turn up? I can bring my own Pc down. And are we playing over LAN or Resnet? I haven't been able to connect to Resnet for two weeks. Slightly suspicious, actually.

You just need to turn up with whatever you can bring. Since it's in the Union it won't be on Resnet, so no problems there!
Wired Webmaster

Re:

Postby Lee.Cairns on Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm

is the union connection got any ports blocked?
IMAGE:img13.exs.cx/img13/9327/bdpicbynic6nk.jpg
Lee.Cairns

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:48 pm

True, the Association server is on the staff side, but you won't be using that.

[hr][s]Strangers passing in the street....by chance two seperate glances meet[/s]
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Count ME

Postby muffin on Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:28 pm

I will be there with Xbox Have Wireless access point if needed
muffin

Re:

Postby youbastard on Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:44 pm

[s]Senethro wrote on 13:17, 27th Jan 2005:
I would say theres a good chance of some WC3:TFT. I know that myself and one other person play, with about 4 lazy bastards who haven't reinstalled it. I haven't met anyone who would be rated as decent on battle.net though.

Whats more likely to get some play is Dawn of War I think. Not a great RTS but recent enough...

Heretic! Witch!

I'll bring it along, if I can get those mofos at Bank of Scotland to let me buy my sodding computer upgrades online......
youbastard

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:24 pm

I'm sorry, But Dawn of War really isn't that good. Its pretty but it doesn't play well.
Senethro

Re:

Postby youbastard on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:20 pm

It's comparable to WC III in terms of playability IMO. Just a different system of play.

Nothing beats Rome for RTS battles tho....
youbastard

Re:

Postby FURY-161 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:29 pm

Just out of interest, how many of the people intending to attend this event with thier desktops have TFT monitors?

I'm pretty keen on all this, but not so enthused about lugging a 19" CRT in with me (even with a pickup).

Also, I'm a touch concerned about security. What's to stop someone making off with your mouse, laptop, or worse besides?

Not that I'm trying to rain on anyone's parade, but these are questions I felt should be asked.
FURY-161
[i:1sjt1uqn]"Anything to feel weightless again"[/i:1sjt1uqn]
http://youtube.com/user/FiorinaFilms
FURY-161

Next

Return to WiredSoc