Home

TheSinner.net

Wireless Internet sharing

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Wireless Internet sharing

Postby Wong on Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:44 pm

I'm having problems sharing an Internet connection - it's between a PC and a Mac, just to make things more interesting.

Being new to wireless networking, I thought that I could set the whole thing up in the same way as a shared ethernet connection - the setup that I'm using just now (which is a connection from the wall in to the modem in my WinXP desktop PC, and a crossover cable from there to the Powerbook G4) works fine.

However, when trying to set up the wireless connection to replace the ethernet crossover cable (I'm using a PCI 802.11g card on the PC and the standard wireless hardware on the Powerbook G4), it seems that the Mac can see the wireless network but can't use it to access the internet - instead, it shows it as simply a Computer to Computer network.

Most sites that I've visited seem to suggest getting a wireless router, but I bought the wireless card to avoid the need for one - is it possible to do this?

Checking the "Share Internet on this connection" for the wireless connection doesn't seem to have any effect, and I've experimented with proxy software on this PC, but it seems unnecessary for ethernet connection and I can't think why I would need it for wireless.

To clarify, as I've made a real hash of explaining this so far, the intended setup is:

Phone socket --USB DSL modem--> Desktop PC --Wireless PCI card--> Mac laptop

Still reading? I'd appreciate any suggestions, as I'm going mad.

[hr]

No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Akkarin on Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:13 pm

well i did say to you to get a router but you didn't listen and have you tried the wizard which should then bridge the wireless connection and the modem should work (or you can do it manually which ever is easiest).

[hr]

IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/sig/SinnerSignature.jpg
IMAGE:www.danasoft.com/sig/SinnerSignature.jpg
Akkarin

Re:

Postby Wong on Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:14 am

The wireless connection is bridged, the Mac can pick up the wireless signal, but doesn't recognise that it can connect to the Internet through it.

[hr]

Wong

Re:

Postby Ben Reilly on Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:29 pm

Does the Mac have an IP address? You can discover this by going to System Preferences and looking at Network.

[hr]

University of St Andrews Clothing - http://www.standrewsclothing.com
Ben Reilly

Return to WiredSoc