Home

TheSinner.net

WebMail - Thunderbird settings

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

WebMail - Thunderbird settings

Postby Malcolm on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to get WebMail working with Thunderbird. I've got the POP3 settings right, because I can receive messages, but I can't send.

My POP3 server is set to bute.st-andrews.ac.uk, and I can download and read my messages fine.

My SMTP server is set to smtp.st-andrews.ac.uk, which throws an immediate error (probably because it doesn't exist). So what should I set it to? If I set it to either bute.st-... or mail.st-... or webmail.st-..., it says "Connected to" the server, but then comes up with an error after about 10 seconds saying it's improperly configured.

Have I got something wrong, or have ITS just blocked everything again?
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:15 pm

You want "mailhost. " on port 25 :) you'll have to send from your mac reg'd ip, or any ip that has a st-a's pointer as the server does a spam check on "s-ip-origin-in *.st-and*.ac.uk " to validate it.
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby __Sam__ on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:34 am

I had exactly the same problem when I set up thunderbird a couple of days ago, I've now got mailhost on the smtp and sends most messages fine but it was a bit unnerving when my test email to my hotmail account didn't arrive and still hasn't. All messages I've sent to other addresses have arrived fine (even to a another free account, yahoo), why won't it send to hotmail accounts?
__Sam__

Return to WiredSoc