Home

TheSinner.net

Serial port query

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Serial port query

Postby Amorphous on Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Note: I'm not an incredibly technical person (er, obviously) and therefore have no idea how stupid the following question may be. My apologies if it makes anybody wince.

I have a Playstation1-style controller for PC with a 15-pin (7+8) male plug. This was fine on my old computer, but my new(ish) one doesn't have a corresponding female for it. It does, however, have a 9-pin male marked 'IOIOI' which my dad thinks means it is a serial port. The only other port available is a 15-pin (5+5+5) female for the monitor which is not in use because the monitor now plugs into a graphics card.

I've seen 15-to-9 adapters of all shapes (sexes?) available from internet stores and places like that; assuming I can get my hands on one, should the controller actually work using the serial port or will it depend a bit on drivers/software that my computer has? I don't want to waste money or make my computer catch fire. :-/

Thanks for any help. I had my last exam today so I'm looking to while away the holiday staring at a computer screen...
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:36 pm

That'll be a gameport connector. DA15M connectors aren't conventionally used for serial. If you've got USB something like this *might* work, I've never tried one before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A03JP/203-3445543-8783145

Otherwise you could put in a soundcard with an integrated gameport. Or a gameport card if they still exist nowadays.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby niall on Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:28 pm

ooh, that might come in handy, instead of buying new midi cables!

[hr]

do you have a tastyspoon?

http://www.tastyspoon.com/forum
niall

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:50 pm

Ebay for gamesport cards etc is your best bet, as I have never yet found any adapter that works properly, thou I was trying to use MIDI style keyboards!
thebrookster

Return to WiredSoc