Home

TheSinner.net

"an error occured during the installation of this device"

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

"an error occured during the installation of this device"

Postby naomi on Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm

help!

okay, so here's what happened. i turned my computer (win2000) off, the next morning i turned it back on, the mouse stopped working!

so then i tried plugging the mouse straight into the USB port (it usually is going through a USB hub) but that didn't work. then i plugged in my printer (realised that it needed to be powered so clearly wasn't going to work) then tried my camera and my flat mates camera and neither of those would work either.

So, i tried uninstalling it following the thing that said troubleshooting, and it suggested reinstalling the USB Device (whatever that is .... ) and i tried to but it gave me this error message:

"The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance"

What does that mean and how can i get everything to work again?

naomi

Re:

Postby Zenon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:49 am

Browse your computer manufacturers website for your model number. It will have usb drivers or chipset drivers for your computer. Download and test either/both, rebooting between installations.

If you computer is a custom built pc you will require a software tool to determine your system hardware to find the drivers.

It could be a hardware failure with your usb. But that is unlikely, it's usually down to drivers.

Good luck
Zenon

Re:

Postby naomi on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:18 pm

thanks, all i've got to do now is work out the model number (it seems that there are tonnes!)

but i guess that'll be in the user manual right?

naomi
naomi

Re:

Postby Zenon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:41 pm

Usually consists of 3-5 characters containing letters and/or numbers. Sometimes it is just a name though.

It should be on the front of your user manual and/or badged on your computer.

If in doubt give the manufacturer a call. Even if it is out of warranty they are bound to assist you finding your model code.
Zenon

Re:

Postby thebrookster on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:40 pm

I must admit that you have had a rather odd turn of events. Are you certain that nothing else went wrong last time you had the system working properly? Any viruses? Changed ANYTHING system-wise? Sounds stupid, I know, but in my experience most things like this occur because of a human action, and could quite likely be something totally unrelated that you would not associate witht he problem. ( My mother used to be wonderful at that!!!! Many years of having to solve her PC problems has given me a lot of experience.) The more info you can give the easier it is for someone to help solve your problem.
thebrookster

Re:

Postby naomi on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:40 pm

i promise you i have done absolutely nothing to the computer AT ALL.

i found the model code, it's on a label on the bottom.

just trying to find the right drivers now ...
naomi

Re:

Postby naomi on Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:08 pm

okay, so i had a look on the toshiba site

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... dgngdgmm.0

and found a driver for win98, which i tried installing (and it didn't appear to fix it), but didn't find anything for win2000.

also, what's a chipset driver?

naomi

Re:

Postby Zenon on Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:56 pm

http://tinyurl.com/h4fko

Use at your own risk. Don't blame me if anything was to go wrong.

Chipset drivers are designed for your northbridge and southbridge chips on your motherboard.

Southbridge controls ports. Reinstalling the chipset drivers might help.

If you have the original recovery/installation cd's I would use those if you still have no luck. Remember to backup your data though. It looks like your notebook relies on the usb drivers supplied with Windows 2000.

Just to add, somebody else had you problem:
http://tinyurl.com/hdjhe
Zenon

Re:

Postby naomi on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:54 pm

okay, so i tried reinstalling the chipset stuff, and that completed fine, but it hasn't made any difference at all. :(

the only disks i have for this computer are the win2000 disks to reinstall that. would they be on there?

i'm still getting the same error message as i started out with. but i've tried an mp3 player, and that is saying ready as normal, but still not coming up as a drive, and when plugging in the mouse (without using the hub) the error isn't displayed and it says it is functioning correction, but still isn't moving! does that help at all?

thanks
naomi

Re:

Postby Elron on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:36 pm

It definately sounds like a driver problem.

You should be able to get hold of Win2k drivers for your computer, if not then you might wanna try the XP drivers.

Another option to consider is updating your computer to Windows XP. It's pretty good for driver stuff, and can fix most problems itself. There must be someone you know who has a copy of XP or can get get you a copy from someone else.

XP > 2k imo
~Elron~
Former WiredSoc President
Elron

Return to WiredSoc