Home

TheSinner.net

Solaris 10

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Solaris 10

Postby M249 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:55 am

Hello,

I am trying to get solaris 10 working with ResNet. I have tried the instructions from Sun but not with much luck. I have updated /etc/nsswitch.conf to read hosts: files dns and also /etc/resolv.conf (which I had to create). Apparently for DHCP this should be:
domain domainname
nameserver *someIp*
nameserver *someIp*

In windows the nameserver should be st-and.ac.uk and st-andrews.ac.uk, I have tried these and also 138.251.66.15 with no luck.
I'm not too sure what the domain name should be and I think that the host name for the machine might need changing. Thats all I can think of. If anyone has any suggestions I would appriciate it.

Thanks
M249

Re:

Postby Hash9 on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Quoting M249 from 00:55, 2nd Mar 2006
Hello,

I am trying to get solaris 10 working with ResNet. I have tried the instructions from Sun but not with much luck. I have updated /etc/nsswitch.conf to read hosts: files dns and also /etc/resolv.conf (which I had to create). Apparently for DHCP this should be:
domain domainname
nameserver *someIp*
nameserver *someIp*

In windows the nameserver should be st-and.ac.uk and st-andrews.ac.uk, I have tried these and also 138.251.66.15 with no luck.
I'm not too sure what the domain name should be and I think that the host name for the machine might need changing. Thats all I can think of. If anyone has any suggestions I would appriciate it.

Thanks

The DNS Servers are:
138.251.66.46 # (dns1.st-and.ac.uk)
138.251.40.10 # (dns2.st-and.ac.uk)

The dns domain is res.st-and.ac.uk
the search domains are:
st-and.ac.uk
st-andrews.ac.uk

I don't know how to set up dns on Solaris but the instructions from Sun should have sufficed to get your IP address, you will have had to register the mac address of the network card on ResNet for it work.

[hr]

Reality is twisted lie, perpetrated by those who can not dream.
Reality is twisted lie, perpetrated by those who can not dream.
Hash9

Return to WiredSoc