Home

TheSinner.net

Bored of Wolf? Lets play a non-FPS instead.

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Bored of Wolf? Lets play a non-FPS instead.

Postby iab2 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:22 pm

Anyone want to play something other than first person shooters? Wolf is lots of fun when you aren't pwned but there is so much more out there...

I would favour strategy games, some RTS or turn-based. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth, Rome: Total War (and BI expansion) and Civilisation IV. All good games and it might be fun to try these out. I realisenot everyone has these and they are not freeware so wiredsoc may be reluctant to host the server.

Civ 4 can be played by email so owners of the game could play that way. The other games are harder to resolve the problems for.

Lets see what others suggest, I open the thread up for ideas.

(PBEM Civ 4 or other is my favourite idea)

EDIT- mad double post problem
[hr]

IMAGE:x2.putfile.com/2/3511253355.jpg
iab2

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:32 pm

I have Generals:Zero Hour, and Rome Total War. If that helps. I've also got BF2, but that still counts as an FPS I'd say.

Wolf is getting boring, actually.

[hr]

"I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze."
Malcolm

Re:

Postby orudge on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:20 pm

Civ does sound good. I personally do enjoy a good game of Age of Empires, or some variant thereof, too.

Of course, playing all these on resnet may not be so easy without some more ports being opened, which not all games are able to do...

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby iab2 on Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm

But play by email would be no problem. I have been thinking all day that that would be the least problematic game to play. Also, I now really fancy trying it.

If we could get a few more people together we could play all human worlds and enjoy all the subterfuge and real thought that would go into the game. That really sounds good to me.

[hr]

IMAGE:x2.putfile.com/2/3511253355.jpg
iab2

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:13 pm

Has to be AC all the way. The most devious and back stabbing game ever conceived, or maybe thats just how I played it :P

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:31 pm

I'm going to have to jump in and emphasize AC (Alpha Centauri) over civ4 as well. Firstly, Civ4 is fun but it doesn't work as multiplayer. The Builder/warmonger divide falls too heavily on the side of Builder until you put it into epic speed, at which a game to victory may take 400 turns.

In contrast, my fastest win on AC was 61 turns, achieved on highest difficulty level. A co-operative diplomatic victory, together me and my partner had 300 population points guarenteeing us the votes needed to win.

Have you ever had 300 population points in Civ4? Let alone in 61 turns?

AC also runs on all computers (unlike civ4) and is now £5.99. (or free if you call me up)

For those of you who don't know what AC is, its basically Civ2 in space on crack.
Senethro

Return to WiredSoc