Home

TheSinner.net

Need help to find one.

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Need help to find one.

Postby iab2 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:16 pm

What broadband provider would people recommend for our house in St A's this year. I am having trouble finding one that does not have a years contract, and as were not in the house for a full year it seems a waste to pay for time we are not using.

Please give me your thoughts.

[hr]

IMAGE:x2.putfile.com/2/3511253355.jpg
iab2

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:13 pm

I've got Tiscali at home, total joke of an ISP and it's got a 12-month contract - avoid.

People seem to think IDNet are a good option - no traffic shaping/port throttling, 8Mbps download speeds (maximum - depends on your exchange and line quality/distance), excellent customer service, and a monthly contract.

Nildram also seem to be pretty good, as are Zen. You can afford something a little more expensive than £14.99 (which are all shite anyway - you get what you pay for) if there are a number of you living in the house together.

Warning: most ADSL ISP's seem to be throttling BitTorrent traffic these days (with a few exceptions, like IDNet).

Have a look at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/ - there's forums there with people's opinions, or you could sign up and ask a question.

I'm a bit busy just now, sorry I couldn't have been more help. If you want more help, I'll probably be free later.

[hr]

" ... No-one knows what it's like, to be the bad man, to be the sad man, Behind Blue Eyes ... "
Malcolm

Re:

Postby Fozzy Bear on Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:11 pm

second that about tiscali. they are shite incarnate.
appaling speeds in the evening (lowest i had was around 3kb/s downloads, on a 2Mb connection).
take care with all the up to 8Mb stuff all the isp's are offering these days, its a load of crap and you can get really variable speeds.

dont know which isp's are the best, BT arent too bad though (no worse than the competition) although they are pricey.

all the ones which give less than 12 month contracts usually charge a fee for cancelling early so you may actually be better off just cancelling when you move out and paying for the extra 3 months.

[hr]

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not dying." - Woody Allen
Fozzy Bear

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:42 pm

Thanks guys, will probably go with the IDNet option. I hadn't heard of any of these before this, so thanks, you have saved us money!

[hr]

I am Insanity Prawn Boy, I am on the moon!
iab2

Return to WiredSoc