Home

TheSinner.net

Counterstrike server whine

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Counterstrike server whine

Postby Senethro on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi,

Straight to the whine:

The kicks for killing a hostage as terrorist isn't a very good idea. It doesn't cause any real penalty because you can reconnect immediately. If you caused it to subtract 16000 from the offenders cash it would have the same effect without the irritating disconnect/reconnect. Or even just increase it so that it kicks after 2 hostie kills as its hard to kill 2 accidentally (without grenades anyway)

Similarly, the slaying a TKer on next round is a bad penalty as it means the team is 1 man down. If it was a good player lost then I'd be very unsure of winning and so might not even buy a gun, penalising the team further etc etc.

Can the punishments for these crimes affect the player only instead of messing up the game for the whole team?

Also, some of the maps are utter shit. Not surprising as their from 1997 but thats no excuse for playing them now. I'll try to build some consensus about which maps are shit, but currently 747 will be the clear favorite. The terrorist team can do very well camping a curtain chokepoint and shooting CTs through the curtains. (and the cramped conditions mean the hosties have been shot through the floor at least once, kicking a [relatively] innocent Terrorist)

Is there any chance freecam on death will return? Its kind of crap to watch only your own team.

Finally, is there a setting that can kick people who are AFK or put them in the spectators?

thanks for hosting the server and all the rest.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:00 pm

Quoting Senethro from 16:19, 26th Apr 2007
Hi,

The kicks for killing a hostage as terrorist isn't a very good idea. It doesn't cause any real penalty because you can reconnect immediately.

Yes, but if everything is working the way it should do then said terr can't rejoin the currently active game, thus depriving his team of the player

If you caused it to subtract 16000 from the offenders cash it would have the same effect without the irritating disconnect/reconnect. Or even just increase it so that it kicks after 2 hostie kills as its hard to kill 2 accidentally (without grenades anyway)

The first part can't be done as far as I can tell, or at least not without some form of servermod. The second part can, and has been set to '2' currently to see how things go.

Similarly, the slaying a TKer on next round is a bad penalty as it means the team is 1 man down. If it was a good player lost then I'd be very unsure of winning and so might not even buy a gun, penalising the team further etc etc.

Can the punishments for these crimes affect the player only instead of messing up the game for the whole team?

well, the loss of a tker on a round, then leading to the loss of the round would normally have its own social effect upon the player, even if it's just a bit extra banter on the day :P, otherwise again there is no way in general of doing this aside from removing tkpunish and enabling the autokick bot which would get rid of idlers as well (again, as long as the no-rejoins to active rounds is functioning, if it isn't let us know and we'll see whats going on)

Also, some of the maps are utter shit. Not surprising as their from 1997 but thats no excuse for playing them now. I'll try to build some consensus about which maps are shit, but currently 747 will be the clear favorite. The terrorist team can do very well camping a curtain chokepoint and shooting CTs through the curtains. (and the cramped conditions mean the hosties have been shot through the floor at least once, kicking a [relatively] innocent Terrorist)

heh, I know several folks who would strive most valiantly to not remove that map. Anyway, with cstrike being aimed as a generally realistic st/terr "sim", would the conditions you describe not be the entire point? Real planes _are_ buggeringly awkward to move around in, especially for any kind of armed ops as well as being made of thin stuff meaning stray bullets will quite easily kill people you don't know are there.

Is there any chance freecam on death will return? Its kind of crap to watch only your own team.

Finally, is there a setting that can kick people who are AFK or put them in the spectators?

first part - pretty much a straight 'no' I'm afraid. It has been set that way after a bunch of discussions and tests. It was felt by various peoples that the freecam/radar view in deathmode was too easily abused to pass information to active players as there is no way to force opposition players to not be displayed. The current config was felt to be to the best choice as the only other options are full lockdown options such as fade to black or locking the dead persons view to the single 360deg view around the point that they died.

The afk thing has been mentioned above in the TKpunish issue, there is a way to do it, but it depends if the general view is that tkpunish is better, and the round-join locks are enabled.

thanks for hosting the server and all the rest.

heh, no worries. The UT server is still running at wired.st-and.ac.uk:7777 too :).
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Ok, cool, and thanks.

I wouldn't emphasise the realism of counterstrike as thats a horrible lie. CS is an arcade game as its got crosshairs, accurate firing from the hip of managed properly, few mobility options and clips/magazines magically refill themselves.

Also, shooting through curtains when you see their player name is not realistic Image

Quoting Tryptophan from 19:00, 26th Apr 2007
The afk thing has been mentioned above in the TKpunish issue, there is a way to do it, but it depends if the general view is that tkpunish is better, and the round-join locks are enabled.

Round join locks?

Whats the exact mechanism of TK punish? If it allows the killed player the option of punishing, it wouldn't be a bad idea. I've seen a few incidents of rage TKing or killing for weapons but as long as people were sensible enough not to punish for genuine accidents, that would be cool.

On the other hand, this is counterstrike and its players are ANGRY
Senethro

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:34 pm

heh, I see what you mean. I guess relating it to a sim was a bit far, I was meaning in comparison to things such as quake/UT.. there is a slightly elevated strategic slant in CS, but not by much.

The 'round lock' was referring to the join time for a currently playing round. So if a player gets dropped from the server outside of the first 30 seconds they can rejoin the server immediately and watch, but have to wait to the end of the round to rejoin the game. As long as this is working then removing tkpunish and just enabling the autokick for any teamkills/excessive hostage kills would in someways make things fairer as each player that transgresses would be dealt with immediately without compromising following rounds.

And yes, I know what you mean about angry cs players Image
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby Senethro on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:01 pm

We're everywhere.

Been thinking about the maps some more. I've already said why I don't like 747 but the other ones I've idenified as problems are Siege and Prodigy.

Siege is the one where the CTs run across a bridge over a canyon and into a courtyard/tunnel where there is a horrible slaughter of one team. While there are tunnel routes, they're not very useful so the map plays in a very boring manner. I've never seen the hosties rescued. This map makes people quit. Its one of those 1997 maps and we should leave it there.

Prodigy has some similar issues, with half the deaths occurring in that one crate filled tunnel and most of the rest at the security checkpoint. Instead of being one horrible chokepoint like Siege its two. There are about 5 rooms in the whole map, the rest is all bland, empty tunnels connecting them.

And I've just had a look round some of the maps we don't use.

Torn is awesome. It looks nice and is well designed i.e. not 3 intersecting tunnels. I'm definitely asking for it to be added to rotation anyway. The only problem is it looks a little too large for a 2v2, but there are lots of maps like that.

Back alley looks ok, certainly more interesting than prodigy.

The cpl_ maps are all designed well, but look like shit. cpl_strike is the least offensively bland one.

And I think thats about all I've to say there.
Senethro

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:06 pm

Is the server ever running?
Or am I just having connection issues?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:33 pm

wired.st-and.ac.uk:27960
Senethro

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:55 pm

That is exactly what I am typing however it keeps timing out

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Haunted

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Haunted from 18:55, 30th Apr 2007
That is exactly what I am typing however it keeps timing out

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn

Try using VPN?
Senethro

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:28 pm

I'm not sure what that is tbh.
I managed to get into a game on the first day but seem unable to get in now.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Haunted

Re:

Postby Senethro on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:26 pm

More whine.

Players Truth, 007, Tom, Stu, and plenty others were TKing in spawn.

Ch33kymonkey should be able to back this up as he was in the game at the time, although on the opposite team.

I'm amazed that people in university start acting like children given the anonymity of a game server. If it doesn't stop just take the server down :P
Senethro

Re:

Postby Tryptophan on Tue May 01, 2007 2:12 am

Haunted, you trying in the DCS labs? These have been banned. Ask DCS why as it's their request that we do it. Resnet or VPN is the only way. anything on ip block 138.251.192.0/19 is gone from the game services.
Tryptophan

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 01, 2007 4:44 am

What version of counter strike is it? Is it that one hosted on kieran's webspace?

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby UanarchyK on Mon May 21, 2007 1:56 pm

How are you supposed to connect to a server through resnet when you can't even use steam without trickery?
UanarchyK

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon May 21, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting UanarchyK from 14:56, 21st May 2007
How are you supposed to connect to a server through resnet when you can't even use steam without trickery?

Clarify. Our server or an external server? Ours is perfectly accessible from ResNet.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby UanarchyK on Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 pm

Is it? I can't access steam without trickery, though, and have the steam install version of CS. Is there some horrendously obvious thing I'm missing here?
UanarchyK

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed May 23, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting UanarchyK from 22:31, 21st May 2007
Is it? I can't access steam without trickery, though, and have the steam install version of CS. Is there some horrendously obvious thing I'm missing here?

Probably not. The server works with a normal CS 1.6 client, but if you're having to authenticate with Steam (*spit*) then there's going to be problems.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Phantasm on Wed May 23, 2007 8:53 am

Will the server still be online for the summer, for those of us staying in halls with access to resnet? (woo).

[hr]

Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."
Dean Learner: "I had a cat once. I dropped a safe on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on it's head."
Phantasm

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Thu May 24, 2007 4:30 pm

There's no plans to turn it off as far as I know, apart from downtime for maintenance and configuration changes.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Malcolm on Thu May 24, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting UanarchyK from 14:56, 21st May 2007

You just use Steam once, and set it to offline mode. You still stay authenticated.
Malcolm

Return to WiredSoc