Home

TheSinner.net

cgi support on wired

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

cgi support on wired

Postby Blaggy on Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:31 pm

hi guys, just remember ive got wired webspace and am trying to compile a message board on my space (ubb) have uplaoded all the files etc... using putty sftp, ive created a new cgi-bin within my public_html directory is this correct or is it supposed to be above the public_html i.e. in my root. Im getting:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmangler@wired.st-andrews.ac.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Cheers,

Blaggy
Blaggy

Re:

Postby James Baster on Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:53 pm

Running the cgi scripts from the command line may well give you a far more detailed error message.

With just what youve posted there, it could be anything.

Also, rember if its for a student group you can claim a Sinner messageboard free.

[hr]
[s]Come Robin. We shall leave. Through the window. Inconspicuously ... Using our batropes.[/s]
James Baster

500 error

Postby rolacola on Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:34 am

usually this could be a 500 error, you need to give the file certain permissions before it can be excecuted in a browser. If it is unix it is usually a 755 or 777 permission.
There are alot of other reasons as well but that one is the most common. Another common mistake is to upload html or perl files in binary, these should be uploaded in ascii or you will get 500 error.
rolacola

Re:

Postby Nickel on Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:19 pm

[s]Unregisted User rolacola wrote on 20:11, 27th Feb 2003:
If it is unix it is usually a 755 or 777 permission.

dont think u want 777 as the permissions
--
nickel
Nickel

Re:

Postby Administrator on Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:13 pm

chmod a+rx *

Can never remember the damn codes.

And you will need to make some data files world writable for ubb to save its data in. Read UBB's install guide.

James.
Administrator

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:53 pm

And the folders! Don't forget to make sure you have write permissions to the folders!
teamonkey

Return to WiredSoc