Home

TheSinner.net

Linux on resnet

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Linux on resnet

Postby Registered User on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm

Hi all,

I've tried a couple of different distros and both KDE and gnome, but i can't get linux to work on resnet! Any suggestions?

I'm sure I've had it working in previous years (would have been 3 or 4 years ago now) but the registration procedure has changed this year, so I wonder if that's made it difficult.

I've tried setting a few things, default gateway (but it didn't seem to stick and changed back to 0.0.0.0) using the utility in kubuntu, but still nothing.

It recognises my network port but says theres no packets sent or recieved. Trying to ping anything just times out and web browsing in firefox just brings up host not found.

Thanks!

Re:

Postby Batman on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:16 am

Don't know if this will help, but when i was working in st andrews during the summer, and stayed in Fife Park, i was running ubuntu and all I had to do was attach the laptop to the network and go through the registration form found when you open up an internet browser and this was all with default settings. Maybe try going back to default the default network settings and don't use static address, just DHCP, it should work.

Quoting Registered User from 22:13, 7th Nov 2007
Hi all,

I've tried a couple of different distros and both KDE and gnome, but i can't get linux to work on resnet! Any suggestions?

I'm sure I've had it working in previous years (would have been 3 or 4 years ago now) but the registration procedure has changed this year, so I wonder if that's made it difficult.

I've tried setting a few things, default gateway (but it didn't seem to stick and changed back to 0.0.0.0) using the utility in kubuntu, but still nothing.

It recognises my network port but says theres no packets sent or recieved. Trying to ping anything just times out and web browsing in firefox just brings up host not found.

Thanks!

[hr]

Have you ever danced with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight!
Have you ever danced with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight!
Batman

Re:

Postby k3nn on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 am

I never managed to get DHCP working. In the end I just installed windows to get an IP, it remains static throughout the year.
k3nn

Re:

Postby sat on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting k3nn from 02:47, 20th Nov 2007
I never managed to get DHCP working. In the end I just installed windows to get an IP, it remains static throughout the year.

I've had this problem in the past. I didn't have any problem with Ubuntu in Fife Park this summer, though. I just registered and away it went.

DHCP was always the problem for me. It is possible to change the DHCP client, and I seem to remember that (I think) dhclient worked fine but another (and I forget its name) didn't. Or maybe it was dhcpcd that did work and dhclient didn't...

I don't know if ITS generally do much to help Linux users.
sat

Re:

Postby alastair05 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:12 pm

I used Ubuntu last year and found that dhclient didn't work, but there was no problem with dhcpcd. This year dhclient does work with no problems however, at least for me.
alastair05

Return to WiredSoc