Home

TheSinner.net

Purchase web page

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Purchase web page

Postby HarryP on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:40 am

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to purchase a domain name FOREVER? - About a year ago I "bought" a page for 2 years and have only just started getting content on it.

Is there anyway to get this forever? (Currently registered with 123-reg). How, for instance, do people buy them so that they can later sell www.pizza.com etc for several thousands?

Thanks a lot

HP
HarryP

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:36 pm

No, I don't think anyone will sell you a domain name forever. How would they make money that way? The cost would have to be stupidly high to cover interminable registration.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby HarryP on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok, thank you....

One other thing - Can an individual (non Comp Sci) get some space on the server? - I know when I did IS1001 we were given some space to put a dummy website onto, but I think it just lasted a couple of months.

It would be for personal, non-uni things.

Thanks a lot
HP
HarryP

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:09 pm

WiredSoc is unconnected with the School of Computer Science. We run our own equipment, housed in their building, with networking provided by IT Services. Any matriculated student of the University is free to join. Membership is £3 for the year, and the disk quota is 1GB. If you'd like to join now, we'll charge £2 for the rest of the year, and you can renew your membership at the Freshers' Fayre.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:41 pm

You can usually register a domain for up to a maximum of 10 years or so at any one time. And anyway all you need to do is renew the domain each year before it expires and you will still own it.

Return to WiredSoc