Home

TheSinner.net

After the Server Migration

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

After the Server Migration

Postby Nickel on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Did someone forget to backup the tetris scores? Hmm?
Nickel

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Quoting Nickel from 22:57, 22nd Aug 2008
Did someone forget to backup the tetris scores? Hmm?

Haha, might have known you'd notice that. It was mentioned a few days ago and forgotten about. I'll get right on it :P
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:36 pm

Done.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Nickel on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Horay! That'll save me some time...
Nickel

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:09 pm

On the note of migration, I'd be curious to know how the "hardware" page on the website corresponds to the new setup. How many of the machines shown are now split into many virtual machines?
sat

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:40 pm

None of them.

The old wired (Athlon 64) is not currently in use, it will probably become a sysadmin test and building box, so we can test changes to individual VMs before they're applied to the live system.

Our main machine (smoked) is now a Phenom X4 9600 with 8GB of RAM. It runs Debian Etch, it provides an LDAP server, and it also runs the Xen hypervisor, hosting the following (paravirtualised) Etch VMs (internal names shown):

stoned: IMAP/POP3
pythia: PostgreSQL/MySQL
smashed: SSH
lore: user storage using the existing pair of 1TB arrays
blitzed: HTTP
toasted: IRC

To simplify external access, there are aliases shell.wired.st-and.ac.uk and irc.wired.st-and.ac.uk, which we'd prefer people used in case we need to rename VMs.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby sat on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:11 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 20:40, 29th Aug 2008
it will probably become a sysadmin test and building box

Heh. The privileges of sysadmins...
sat

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:22 am

Heh, it's going to be invaluable for working on the VM configurations outwith the live server. We're having horrible problems with Xen at the minute, which is why the server is down.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby sat on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:58 am

Yes, I'd noticed.

I wouldn't have thought so, but might this be impacting on the terminal at all? I'm finding mine does a CR (but no LF) once I start typing, and it types over the prompt.

I guess some changing of a terminal settings file would sort that, if anyone knows the right one to edit.

I also assume the SSH keys are changing due to this?
sat

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:54 pm

The SSH keys have changed, yes. Most services are now running on a VM called wired. Marc and Kieran replaced Xen with KVM after unsuccessfully trying to make Xen do something useful for a change. Nothing else should be affected though, the sshd configurations should be standard. I haven't noticed any odd behaviour myself.
Fawksie
Administrator

Return to WiredSoc