Home

TheSinner.net

PC playing silly buggers

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

PC playing silly buggers

Postby teamonkey on Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:03 pm

Now I have a question... :)

This morning, as it has done for the past week or so, my PC switched itself on at 9:00. It's OK, I told it to do that, it's not posessed or anything. The noise of all the fans wakes me up. Anyway.

The problem was that instead of booting up the operating system like it normally does, it just hung after scanning the IDE devices. Just froze solid, and didn't respond to keypresses (ALT-CTRL_DEL didn't work, and the num/caps/scroll lights didn't come on when I pressed them).

I pressed the reset switch, and the same thing happened. And again. Then I switched it off, waited ten seconds and switched it on again. This time it booted up properly, got to the LILO prompt and booted Linux. Everything was good.

Then I told Linux to reboot, and it got stuck at the same point again. I switched it off and waited for 10 secs and started it again. It worked, but this time I chose to boot into XP. It worked but everything was soooo soooooow. It took over 15 minutes to boot into XP, and I could see the screen redrawing and everything.

So my question is this: what the hell's going on? Something's gone wrong with the PC that affects the BIOS and XP, but not Linux. I imagine it's either my hard disc dying, or the DMA controller on my motherboard. Anyone?

BTW, I have four IDE controllers, two UDMA/33 and two UDMA/66 (I think). Attached to the former is my DVD drive, CD-RW and Zip250. The BIOS gets past detecting all these OK. Attached to the UDMA/66 is my HDD, and it hangs after detecting this

Cheers.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:26 am

Right. I took my PC to pieces and put it back together again. Cables everywhere. Tried a spare hard disc. Everything. Nothing worked properly.

Looked in the BIOS. I must have accidentally switched the CPU Level 1 Cache to "off". Bugger.

Incidentally, if you know what any of this means then you really should be on our committee.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby James Baster on Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:08 am

No, they really shouldn't. I remmember the days when we had a committee full of Geeks. Hardly nowt got done, just lots of faffing around. The current Committee of (Relatively) non-geeks is fantastic. Never before has the phrase "Have we finished? I need to go meet my friends in the pub." been uttered before this year at a meeting.

[hr][s]Come Robin. We shall leave. Through the window. Inconspicuously ... Using our batropes.[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:35 am

[s]James Baster wrote on 11:08, 4th Apr 2003:Hardly nowt got done, just lots of faffing around.

I'm so glad it's not like that any more.

:)
teamonkey

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:10 pm

[s]teamonkey wrote on 01:26, 4th Apr 2003:
Right. I took my PC to pieces and put it back together again. Cables everywhere. Tried a spare hard disc. Everything. Nothing worked properly.

Looked in the BIOS. I must have accidentally switched the CPU Level 1 Cache to "off". Bugger.

Incidentally, if you know what any of this means then you really should be on our committee.

Silly bugger.
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:57 pm

On a psuedo realted note my pc sometimes on startup reports the cpu core voltage to be 2.05v instead of the normal 1.60v. Funny enough when it reports the wrong one it doesn't work right so I have to turn it off and leave it a while before trying to turn it on again.
TheGamesMaster

Possible Solution

Postby TheGamesMaster on Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:29 am

52 - "My PC needs a couple of tries before it'll boot from cold."
Increase the IDE boot delay in the BIOS to give the hard disk longer to spin up.

Taken from page 154 of PC Format April 2003 Issue 147
TheGamesMaster

Return to WiredSoc