Home

TheSinner.net

Using the Vista (64bit) built in VPN client to access Uni

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Using the Vista (64bit) built in VPN client to access Uni

Postby Luser on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 am

I have discovered the Cisco software will not work with 64-bit Vista, and after fiddling around for a few hours, I found Vista has it's own built in. I cannot get it to work however, and am stuck. Have installed ShrewSoft VPN also but the settings are complicated - I have no idea how the few things I transfer into the Cisco client translate into the ShrewSoft client.

Any help with either of these would be muchly appreciated.
Luser

Re: Using the Vista (64bit) built in VPN client to access Uni

Postby orudge on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:32 pm

The Cisco VPN client/server use their own proprietary protocol, I believe, so most 3rd party software will unfortunately not work with it.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Fawksie on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:14 pm

ShrewSoft claim that their software supports (to a certain extent) connection to Cisco devices running PIX OS 6 and 7. However I think ITS operate a 3000 Series VPN concentrator, which isn't supported by ShrewSoft's client or by the new 64-bit compatible Cisco AnyConnect client. Perhaps Traveller can provide more detail if he's reading.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Traveller on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 am

Blame Cisco for lack of a VPN client for 64-bit Vista. When ITS implemented their Cisco VPN service, the client was due to be released just months later - but a working version has never appeared. The folks in ITS are just as frustrated as the rest of us.

The recommended workaround is to install a 32-bit OS on another machine (possibly on a tiny VM), run the 32-bit VPN client on it, and set up your routing so that all your traffic for 138.251.0.0/16 goes through it. Not perfect, but it should work.
Traveller

Return to WiredSoc