Home

TheSinner.net

does the uni network allow VoIP?

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

does the uni network allow VoIP?

Postby guest on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:38 am

As the topic above, does the uni network allow the use of VoIP software such as skype, ventrilo, teamspeak etc.?

Cheers in advance

Re: does the uni network allow VoIP?

Postby Delts on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:17 pm

I've used skype on it before, don't know about the others. When I was in Halls video and voice were blocked on msn, don't know if they still are.

I know the phones in halls are VoIP as well.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Fawksie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 am

Phones in halls are VoIP? When did that change? Last I read they had been investigating VoIP but found that the backbone couldn't sustain the required amount of traffic. That was a good three or four years ago though.

Even if they are, the service will be provided by the existing telephone system, not by connection to ResNet.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Delts on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:22 am

Fawksie wrote:Phones in halls are VoIP? When did that change? Last I read they had been investigating VoIP but found that the backbone couldn't sustain the required amount of traffic. That was a good three or four years ago though.

Even if they are, the service will be provided by the existing telephone system, not by connection to ResNet.

I could be wrong, but I thought they were.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby donpablo on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:40 pm

I think it's safe to say judging by some of the ancient phones in the halls that they don't run over VoIP. I coud be horribly wrong but you would need VoIP phones. Unless some of the halls have been upgraded?

Anyway, Skype I think works, as for Ventrilo or Teamspeak I guess it depends on what port the server you want to connect to is running and if it is within or outside the uni network.
donpablo

Postby orudge on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 am

Skype is pretty good at getting through firewalls, so it should work.

As for ResTel, it isn't VoIP (possibly Delts is confused by the fact the phones appear to plug into an Ethernet socket, but it is a separate phone line circuit, just with the same kind of connector).
orudge
Administrator

Return to WiredSoc