Home

TheSinner.net

question about cable and ADSL..

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

question about cable and ADSL..

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

i am getting adsl over the summer and my closest friend of mine has cable (in the states). Is this a good internet connection to transfer files like music etc and playing games with online? or is cable still too slaw for that? just like to know. thanks
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Wed May 28, 2003 6:59 pm

It depends, Cable and ADSL have various speeds. ADSL has a distance limit (to your local telecom center), and speed degrades over greater distances.In theory cable can achieve great speeds and is great for all kinds of file transfers. ISP's though tend to put crappy low bandwidth limits on cable connections provided.
Oh and you share bandwidth in cable.But in general, cable is broadband, and since your friend is in the states, his cable will likely be much faster than your ADSL.
If you find a good price in ADSL, go for it, although you may not be pleased by the small upload speed, mostly 128 or 256 kbps

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Thu May 29, 2003 6:23 pm

Easy answer: you can get ADSL in St Andrews, but you can't get cable.

ADSL should be plenty fast enough. I don't know what Blueyonder's cable service offers, but NTL's is only 128kilobits/sec. My PlusNET ADSL connection is £22/month and is 512kilobits/sec download, 256kilobits/sec upload. You can get faster rates, but you pay more.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri May 30, 2003 10:27 am

"although you may not be pleased by the small upload speed, mostly 128 or 256 kbps"

The standard upload speed for a dialup connection is 28k. Anything faster than that MUST be an improvement...
Thackary

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Fri May 30, 2003 7:00 pm

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 19:59, 28th May 2003:
It depends, Cable and ADSL have various speeds. ADSL has a distance limit (to your local telecom center), and speed degrades over greater distances.In theory cable can achieve great speeds and is great for all kinds of file transfers. ISP's though tend to put crappy low bandwidth limits on cable connections provided.
Oh and you share bandwidth in cable.But in general, cable is broadband, and since your friend is in the states, his cable will likely be much faster than your ADSL.
If you find a good price in ADSL, go for it, although you may not be pleased by the small upload speed, mostly 128 or 256 kbps

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!

what do you mean by distance limit?

its just i wish to get fast connection so i can get back to downloading the enterprise (scott bakula et al) files which i was hoping to do during the year but got firewalled out. the files are 440mb...each...and theres 52 i wish to download?

also is this site a better alternative that PLUSnet because its cheaper... www.fairadsl.co.uk?
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Mr T needs work on Sat May 31, 2003 12:19 am

[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 20:00, 30th May 2003:
[s]Valen_gr wrote on 19:59, 28th May 2003:[i]

its just i wish to get fast connection so i can get back to downloading the enterprise (scott bakula et al) files which i was hoping to do during the year but got firewalled out. the files are 440mb...each...and theres 52 i wish to download?

ADSL will be fine. If you leave a few downloads on overnight you can probably have about 4 of the 440MB files ready by morning. For example, if you use the newest version of Kazaa Lite, you can set it to automatically 'find more sources' and 'restart failed'. I downloaded the entire first series of '24' (24 x 400MB) in about a week like that. My ISP is Zen Internet. They are very reliable and you can end a contract after one month...
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:45 pm

[s]Mr T needs work wrote on 01:19, 31st May 2003:
[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 20:00, 30th May 2003:[i]
[s]Valen_gr wrote on 19:59, 28th May 2003:[i]

ADSL will be fine. If you leave a few downloads on overnight you can probably have about 4 of the 440MB files ready by morning. For example, if you use the newest version of Kazaa Lite, you can set it to automatically 'find more sources' and 'restart failed'. I downloaded the entire first series of '24' (24 x 400MB) in about a week like that. My ISP is Zen Internet. They are very reliable and you can end a contract after one month...
[/i]

yeah i have just applied for adsl connection from zen internet..how long does it take for it to be activated since its been 2 days now...?
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:22 am

Probably at least a week.
Do you already have the microfilters and "modem"?
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:53 pm

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 12:22, 2nd Jun 2003:
Probably at least a week.
Do you already have the microfilters and "modem"?

i dont think i will need a microfilter as i wont be using the phone...or should i get one anyway? yes i have an adsl modem thats connected at the usb..but the microfilter i have, the plug for the modem will fit in there but not the phone one, but hopefully that shouldnt cause any problems, right?

also how fast is downloading stuff from zen internet as me and my friend from the states will be transferring music files across, and also i wish to download mpegs files that are either 80 or 440 mb big? how long would such processes take?

and i hope there is no firewall...im getting sick of those darn things
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:59 pm

[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 19:53, 2nd Jun 2003:
i dont think i will need a microfilter as i wont be using the phone...or should i get one anyway?

Yes you should. The microfilter splits the signal coming down your phone line into "phone" and "data" channels. You still need it to remove the phone signal from the data.

but the microfilter i have, the plug for the modem will fit in there but not the phone one, but hopefully that shouldnt cause any problems, right?

That should be fine. If not, Reid's Computers on South Street (down the alley near the Cheese Shop) sells them for £10.

and also i wish to download mpegs files that are either 80 or 440 mb big? how long would such processes take?

Depends on your method. My 512kilobits/sec line can download stuff at up to 60kilobytes/sec. If you're doing a direct link, you're limited by the upload speed of whoever's sending the file. Expect about 25kilobytes/sec = 0.025Megabytes/sec for your ADSL line. That'll be 53 minutes for the the 80MB file, and about 4 hours 50 minutes for the 440MB one.

You better hope there's a firewall. If you've got a semi-permanent connection like ADSL you need one. I use ZoneAlarm ( http://www.zonelabs.com/ ), which prompts you if a program tries to access the internet and allows you to select whether you want to let it through or not.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:14 pm

[s]teamonkey wrote on 20:59, 2nd Jun 2003:
[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 19:53, 2nd Jun 2003:[i]
i dont think i will need a microfilter as i wont be using the phone...or should i get one anyway?

Yes you should. The microfilter splits the signal coming down your phone line into "phone" and "data" channels. You still need it to remove the phone signal from the data.

but the microfilter i have, the plug for the modem will fit in there but not the phone one, but hopefully that shouldnt cause any problems, right?

That should be fine. If not, Reid's Computers on South Street (down the alley near the Cheese Shop) sells them for £10.

and also i wish to download mpegs files that are either 80 or 440 mb big? how long would such processes take?

Depends on your method. My 512kilobits/sec line can download stuff at up to 60kilobytes/sec. If you're doing a direct link, you're limited by the upload speed of whoever's sending the file. Expect about 25kilobytes/sec = 0.025Megabytes/sec for your ADSL line. That'll be 53 minutes for the the 80MB file, and about 4 hours 50 minutes for the 440MB one.

You better hope there's a firewall. If you've got a semi-permanent connection like ADSL you need one. I use ZoneAlarm ( http://www.zonelabs.com/ ), which prompts you if a program tries to access the internet and allows you to select whether you want to let it through or not.
[/i]

well based on the experience of resnet, firewalls limits the fun. do they automatically set up a firewall or do you have to order that seperately? also, will the firewall block sending files across to my friend in the states, and will it block download of those large video files from, say, winmx and kazaa?
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:44 pm

You won't have a limiting firewall on your ADSL connection by default, unless you get an ultra-cheap ADSL provider. The ResNet firewall pretty much cuts off everything except web, ftp, email and ssh/telnet connections.

But, I really recommend you install your own firewall, like ZoneAlarm. As I said, you can customise your own firewall to block or let through whatever you want.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:52 pm

[s]teamonkey wrote on 13:44, 3rd Jun 2003:
You won't have a limiting firewall on your ADSL connection by default, unless you get an ultra-cheap ADSL provider. The ResNet firewall pretty much cuts off everything except web, ftp, email and ssh/telnet connections.

But, I really recommend you install your own firewall, like ZoneAlarm. As I said, you can customise your own firewall to block or let through whatever you want.

is zen internet classed as an 'ultra cheap internet provider' as they charge 23.82 per month, 0 for activation?
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:26 pm

[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 20:00, 30th May 2003:

also is this site a better alternative that PLUSnet because its cheaper... www.fairadsl.co.uk?

Well, the firewall should not have stopped you, it did not stop me.Using kazaa i got them all during term time.
If you are still in uni acomodation i can send them to you over the net or set up an ftp for you

[hr]
where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:27 pm

firewalls should be banned worldwide, they're stupid and pointless. if you back up your stuff and don't mind formatting now and again then don't bother...

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:05 pm

[s]Unregisted User wrote on 14:02, 10th Jun 2003:
firewalls should be banned worldwide, they're stupid and pointless. if you back up your stuff and don't mind formatting now and again then don't bother...

And this week's Pillock Of The Week Award goes to...
teamonkey

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:45 pm

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 16:26, 3rd Jun 2003:
[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 20:00, 30th May 2003:[i]

Well, the firewall should not have stopped you, it did not stop me.Using kazaa i got them all during term time.
If you are still in uni acomodation i can send them to you over the net or set up an ftp for you

[hr]
where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[/i]

well so much for getting ADSL. it has been a week now and nothing, so i phoned up the ISP and they said that they will have to dig up half the road and the back garden (not mine) to install 4 additional lines as well as a DACS box, leaving a total mess at the end. so i decided to cancel the whole thing since its not worth the hassle. so much for hoping to catch up on enterprise.

valen, do you have the divx video files of enterprise (80mb each in size)? if so, then come sept maybe you could send them over to me through the resnet network via some messenger service (msn or aol or whatever), or tell me what should i use to download them (i thought kazaa was firewalled out on resnet?)?
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:10 pm

They were lying. DACS boxes don't work with ADSL, so unless what they were saying was that because there was a DACS box, they'd have to install an additional line meaning digging up the stuff, there was something very wrong going on.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:19 am

this thread makes no sense anymore.
Questions that have been answered in full are ignored and re-asked.
Anyway.Highway, I do not have the 80 mb versions,i got the mpeg ones.
I told you that kazaa can still function through the firewall.
Use at own risk :p
I got mine from...Santa :p
And now, this post makes no sense.

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:30 am

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 01:19, 18th Jun 2003:
this thread makes no sense anymore.
Questions that have been answered in full are ignored and re-asked.
Anyway.Highway, I do not have the 80 mb versions,i got the mpeg ones.
I told you that kazaa can still function through the firewall.
Use at own risk :p
I got mine from...Santa :p
And now, this post makes no sense.

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!

valen

how large are the mpeg files you have? 440mb approx?

and also, which episodes have you got? and how long do they take to download from kazaa?

(and just outta curiosity, but not to be taken as offence..are you a fan of the band van halen???)
highway_to_hell1982

Next

Return to WiredSoc