Home

TheSinner.net

question about cable and ADSL..

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:25 pm

[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 09:30, 18th Jun 2003:
[s]Valen_gr wrote on 01:19, 18th Jun 2003:[i]
this thread makes no sense anymore.
Questions that have been answered in full are ignored and re-asked.
Anyway.Highway, I do not have the 80 mb versions,i got the mpeg ones.
I told you that kazaa can still function through the firewall.
Use at own risk :p
I got mine from...Santa :p
And now, this post makes no sense.

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!

valen

how large are the mpeg files you have? 440mb approx?

and also, which episodes have you got? and how long do they take to download from kazaa?

(and just outta curiosity, but not to be taken as offence..are you a fan of the band van halen???)
[/i]

440 MB approx
All episodes
Speed depends on sources available,can be a few hours to a few days
and my nick has nothing to do with van halen, although you are not the first to ask this....
[hr]
where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:57 am

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 21:25, 18th Jun 2003:
[s]highway_to_hell1982 wrote on 09:30, 18th Jun 2003:[i]
[s]Valen_gr wrote on 01:19, 18th Jun 2003:[i]
this thread makes no sense anymore.
Questions that have been answered in full are ignored and re-asked.
Anyway.Highway, I do not have the 80 mb versions,i got the mpeg ones.
I told you that kazaa can still function through the firewall.
Use at own risk :p
I got mine from...Santa :p
And now, this post makes no sense.

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!

valen

how large are the mpeg files you have? 440mb approx?

and also, which episodes have you got? and how long do they take to download from kazaa?

(and just outta curiosity, but not to be taken as offence..are you a fan of the band van halen???)
[/i]

440 MB approx
All episodes
Speed depends on sources available,can be a few hours to a few days
and my nick has nothing to do with van halen, although you are not the first to ask this....
[hr]
where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
[/i]

440mb and 52 eps in total? geez your hard disk must be one giant monster! would it be possible to download these files from you in september via messenger (msn or aol)?
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:26 pm

they only take up just over 21 gigs.
I like to collect series,so i have my disks full :p
Keep having to buy more and add to the array!Currently at 240 gigs, and that is nothing compared to some others i have heard about here at uni!
I have heard about this guy who has over a TB of storage.Insane...
Yeah,you could get the eps..
talk in september
[i:3qoywpzu]Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe....[/i:3qoywpzu]
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby highway_to_hell1982 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:55 am

[s]Valen_gr wrote on 15:26, 21st Jun 2003:
they only take up just over 21 gigs.
I like to collect series,so i have my disks full :p
Keep having to buy more and add to the array!Currently at 240 gigs, and that is nothing compared to some others i have heard about here at uni!
I have heard about this guy who has over a TB of storage.Insane...
Yeah,you could get the eps..
talk in september

would it be possible to download the DIVX video files of enterprise instead from you? each episode file is only 80 mb big and on the divx player the picture is amazing?

sorry if i am being picky, just that the mpegs are too large for my computer, and my harddrive is way too small to retain all 52 eps as mpegs, but can definately retain all 52 eps as divx videos (and i want to keep all of em anyway cause later i might burn em all on CDR/CDRW afterwards when my harddrive is too stuffed to retain any more) ? thanks again
highway_to_hell1982

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:05 am

hey,

been trying to make sense of stuff but failing.... heres the deal... looking for any advice/explanation of what to do...

Moving into flat on september 1st.
We want adsl.

Don't know the phone number.

We'll have 4 compputers and we all want to connect to the internet
We'd like a router? or whatever to set up a network (wireless if we can afford it),

and then connect to the net... Can you get 1 internet connection for say £22 a month and all use it? Is that allowed?

We'll rarely all be on at once, but would this slow things down?

How do i go about it from here? like what do i need before i can set up a connection. Modem and router, or can you get them all in one? Is there a setup fee? what service providers are best, and what package do i ask them for (if i buy a modem router i don't want to have to pay them for their own modem).

as you can see i know very little about this. gah! i just have no idea where to start. any info appreciated.
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 pm

[s]EviLTwiN wrote on 11:05, 25th Jun 2003:
hey,

been trying to make sense of stuff but failing.... heres the deal... looking for any advice/explanation of what to do...

Moving into flat on september 1st.
We want adsl.

Don't know the phone number.

We'll have 4 compputers and we all want to connect to the internet
We'd like a router? or whatever to set up a network (wireless if we can afford it),

and then connect to the net... Can you get 1 internet connection for say £22 a month and all use it? Is that allowed?

We'll rarely all be on at once, but would this slow things down?

How do i go about it from here? like what do i need before i can set up a connection. Modem and router, or can you get them all in one? Is there a setup fee? what service providers are best, and what package do i ask them for (if i buy a modem router i don't want to have to pay them for their own modem).

as you can see i know very little about this. gah! i just have no idea where to start. any info appreciated.

If you are lucky,the flat is already ADSL capable.If not,then i hope your landlord permits it (some don't).
If not you will need to get it enabled.A BT crew will do the job.Yes you will need a router.It is generally much cheaper to use cables instead of wireless connections.Plus, cables are much faster for transfers of files within your mini-LAN.
If you really want to avoid the hassle of cables, nocatech have this router for ADSL that is wireless.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... ?F5D7230UK
there is the link.
It costs about £80
Each computer will have to have a wireless card installed in it, which is
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... ?F5D7000UK
antother £49 per card.
But if you do get that newtwork up and running it will be cool :)
Yes it is allowed to split your onnection with 3 other people.The speed of your onnection will be nothing like the uni network, but still quite fast.Now, if all 4 are running kazaa at the same time, expect pages to load up slowly.As for ISP prices, there is another thread a short while back that answers your price question quite well.hope this helps even in a small way :)

[hr]
where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:36 am

so does that adsl router beast work as an adsl modem? or do you need to buy a modem to go between the router and the socket in the wall?
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Valen_gr on Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:24 pm

no, it is an ADSL router.you do not need a modem.You should check out all of novatech's wireless adsl routers.They have quite a few.It would probably be easier to set up a wireless network than a wired one,since the wireless one is self-configuring.

[hr]where's spoon????
-There is no spoon!!
Valen_gr

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:36 am

The router will allow your four computers to access the internet independent of each other.

An ADSL modem would require one computer to be connected to the internet, then all other computers would share that connection through the one computer. Which means that the computer would have to be always on.

Routers are better.

You will still need a microfilter to plug into any phone sockets in your house. This can tell the difference between your phone and your router. That way, you can use the phone AND be on the internet. Technology's great.

The microfilters should be provided by the ADSL provider.

I'm not sure that all ADSL providers allow shared access. You'd better check.
As far as I know, companies such as Pipex (who deal more with people with techie knowledge than the first time user) tend to allow shared access.
Thackary

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:03 am

cheers :D
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:33 pm

[s]EviLTwiN wrote on 08:36, 26th Jun 2003:
so does that adsl router beast work as an adsl modem? or do you need to buy a modem to go between the router and the socket in the wall?

Yes, I fell into this trap when I was setting up broadband in my flat. You'd need to buy what they call a modem (but it isn't really a mo/dem) as well.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:11 pm

I got a MRi "single-port router/bridge" from scan.co.uk. Basically, it's an ADSL modem with a single ethernet port at the back. You can link this to your ethernet card, but because it's also a router you can simply plug it into a cheap hub to share your line.

It's also got a USB port at the back and a "USB network card" built in, so you don't necessarily need a network card. Also, you can connect one computer to it by USB and another by ethernet and you've got two machines sharing the connection without needing a hub.

The configuration's a bit tricky, but it's cheap enough and it works well.
teamonkey

Previous

Return to WiredSoc