Home

TheSinner.net

PHP

This board is for WiredSoc members and non-members to discuss all things computer & IT related. Got a problem with your computer? Maybe someone here can help. This is also the place to post interesting techy news and other relevant stuff.

PHP

Postby Zombie Sheep on Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:31 pm

Firstly, I know nothing about what I'm going to ask, so excuse me if I sound clueless - its because I am. I wanted to use PHP software, but it said I needed three things installed - mySQL or similar, apache web server and PHP 4.x. Do i just install these things on my computer, or have to install them on my webspace? Any more help, that'd be great!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby James Baster on Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:18 am

They have to be installed on the server. It shouldnt have to be apache, any webserver will do.

But you need to install and run some webserver software.

Install PHP and link it to the webserver however it requires.

Install mysql and run that - that doesnt have to be linked to the webserver or php.

If someone else runs the webhost, just ask them.

If you run the host you just need to install that software. If you tell us your OS (and any exisiting webserver software) we can point you to more detailed instructions
James Baster

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:08 pm

Almost every hosting company will have PHP installed. Most will have databases of some kind, usually MySQL or IIS. All you need to worry about is placing the PHP scripts in your web space.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby fluKe on Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:13 pm

However free hosting companies don't offer MySQL.

For more info on things you can visit www.php.com , www.mysql.com they should help with understanding what they are.

But if you want a reliable SQL database you're going to need to get a subscription host.

I wish the university would put SQL on their servers - they could just allocate one database to each user and could set the d/b size limit to correspond with free space on the#at users account *sigh*
fluKe

Re:

Postby teamonkey on Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:50 pm

You could always get a wired account and get database access there.

Incidentally, they've got MySQL and Coldfusion on various ITS machines, but they don't like the idea of people having shell accounts, let alone databases.
teamonkey

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:36 pm

what do you mean by "PHP software"?
EviLTwiN

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:18 pm

php nuke - http://phpnuke.org

and i dont know why, but your question had some undertone to it. maybe accusing me, or speaking down - i dunno!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby EviLTwiN on Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:52 am

no, not at all :) I was just wondering if you meant something like phpnuke or whether you were trying to use a program like devPHP that displays webpages that contain php by acting like a server would if you were online... ...when I started using php I had lots of problems getting it to work so was wondering if thats what you were meaning.
EviLTwiN

Return to WiredSoc