Home

TheSinner.net

spot checks DRA/FP

For residents and non-residents alike to discuss issues related to life in the David Russell Apartments. Visit the DRA website for general information about the hall or contact Duncan Fowler with complaints/queries.

spot checks DRA/FP

Postby tuck on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Has anyone ever had a random health and safety spot check in their room in Fife Park or DRA? Had one today but it seemed a bit weird as they only checked my room and not any of the others in the flat and when they came in they didn't really check anything. they asked me what kind of adaptor plug i used and they didn't even look to check themselves. just seemed really odd. anyone know what it's all about?
tuck

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:13 pm

They do do random room checks sometimes, can't remember why but i was hugely pissed off when they came into my room when i wasn't there and had given me no prior warning that they were coming.

Part of the reason i'm no longer in halls - i was sick of my room not actually being treated like it was *my* room.

[hr]

The shadow proves the sunshine...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby ClaireyMoo on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Yeah they did that to me too. I was the only one in my flat so they wandered in to inspect my room. They told me to take down my fairy lights and unplug my straighteners but that was it.

Aren't they supposed to give a warning if they want access to the bedrooms though?
ClaireyMoo

Re:

Postby coco on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Yes, happened to me last week, when I was in bed. I was mighty pissed off. Makes you feel singled out, like you need 'watching'. It would make sense if they unexpectedly checked back on people who they've had bother with before over health and safety standards but I've never given them any trouble. Just another case of them overstepping the line, I think. I'm not coming back here next year, that's for sure!

[hr]

The mind is its own place and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
The mind is its own place and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
coco

Re:

Postby paw paw on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:40 pm

It says in the contract that they do not have to give prior warning for health and safety visits...which is a bit crap that they can just walk in at anytime and enter your room
paw paw

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 am

I was under the impression that that kind of thing was against the law. I heard someone come into my house this morning but I was too lazy to get up and answer the door. I'll look into and see if there is any legal presidence for this kind of thing.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Lid on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:36 am

I know they say in the contract that they'll try to give your forewarning if someone will be coming to your flat, except for the health and safety check which is done by surprise, so to speak.

However, I remember the first time my shower head was cleaned, back in semester 1, they never gave forewarning, and they never left a note to say they've been, as they're duty bound to do in the contract.

The people I know who have had health and safety checks have not had notes left either, another clear breach of contract on their part.

I'm sure they'd come down on us a lot quicker if they had.

Section 9 of the lease states:
The privacy of residents will be respected at all times and whenever practicable, 24 hours notice be given of any visit other than by the Residence Manager, Warden, Head of Student Accommodation Services, their deputies or duty personnel or cleaners. The University reserves the right of entry an (sic) any reasonable time by authorised personnel in the course of their duties. A visiting card indicating the reason for the visit will be left in the room., The only exception is the annual Health and Safety inspection, which must be carried out without advance notice.

So I guess this means you signed to say the could come in once a year, but they do not opt out of leaving a note. I suppose if you really wanted, you could at least be petty about that.

(Edited only for typos)
[hr]

We are not drunks, we are multi-millionaires
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Right of entry. The landlord has the right to enter the accommodation for inspection or to
carry out repairs or maintenance to the accommodation or the utilities serving it, at
reasonable times during the day on 24 hours’ written notice. If the tenant does not allow entry,
the landlord has the right to make forcible entry for these purposes providing that reasonable
written notice is given of the landlord’s intention to do so. In an emergency affecting the
accommodation or adjoining property, the landlord has the right to make forcible entry to
the accommodation without notice. In this paragraph, ‘landlord’ includes those authorised
by him.

Source: Housing (Scotland) Act 1988 and Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 Schedule 10

This appears to be the legal view, I don't know if us signing a contract which says otherwise amkes a difference though.

[hr]

Tired Freudian references aside - your mother played my mighty skin flute like a surf crowned sea nymph trying to rouse Poseidon from his watery slumber!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:06 pm

I got a spot check, they woke me up for it.

A few days later I got a letter saying that I had failed the Health and Safety check and would be rechecked a week later.

Reasons? They never put up fire safety notices. What the fuck?
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:25 pm

Andy,

Just a side note. If you sign something in a contract that is against the law, you can't then be held accountable for that clause. You can't 'sign your rights away' so to speak.

Therefore, as usual, the DRA/FP staff are taking the piss. However, I remember that when they tried that on me, I just refused point blank to let them in my room, and physically threw them out of my house.

I guess they must like having the power to do it - however, it seems as thought it is definately illegal - which I told them so at the time.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Rennie on Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:27 pm

A quick point. I remember when it was done to me, I was asleep in bed when some guy just came into my room. Now, what's to stop me thinking it's an intruder, and just smacking them in the face with a cricket bat? They never knocked on my door, or rang the doorbell - so legally, there's no way I would be accountable for doing it.

When I mentioed this to the person, they seemed a bit worried. I never got a health and safety check again in 2 years.
Rennie

Re:

Postby Foxy Moron on Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:12 pm

I can kind of see the point of them checking we're living in safe conditions, but its totally taking the piss now, them just randomly coming in and out of OUR flats.

They came to inspect us the other day, and I was sleeping so my flatmate stood in front of my door and refused to let them come in.

It feels like its not even my flat, theres loads of times I've come home to find random guys doing random things!
Foxy Moron

Re:

Postby nas25 on Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:10 pm

They did one of these health and safety things on me, but I rather think they regretted it; I was hung over and answered the door in nothing but pants, remaining thus attired for the duration of their perusal of my personal space. I was also interrogated on my display-purposes only hookah thing. Kind of annoying really. What the DRA lady was telling the inspector guy was eminently pointless too.
nas25

Return to David Russell Apartments