Home

TheSinner.net

what will my room be like?

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

what will my room be like?

Postby Jess on Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi! I'm moving into McIntosh at the beginning of february, and have been allocated room C33....just wondering if anyone knows where and what my room will be like?! Is there anything useful/important/interesting that I should know about Chattan before I move in! Looking forward to meeting you all! Jessx
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...so I keep telling myself..!

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105926
Jess

Re:

Postby trouble on Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting Jess from 20:17, 10th Jan 2006
Hi! I'm moving into McIntosh at the beginning of february, and have been allocated room C33....just wondering if anyone knows where and what my room will be like?! Is there anything useful/important/interesting that I should know about Chattan before I move in! Looking forward to meeting you all! Jessx

c floor looks like the hotel in the shining. just to warn you. also there are a few environmental nuts who have taken to turning off all the lights to save power or something, however this just adds to the creepy effect of the c-floor corridors.you're lucky this year though, last year it was "c-floor: high ceilings, low morals."

[hr]

"Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do." (APC- pet)
trouble

Re:

Postby Jess on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:23 pm

great..thank you...Now I must confess I'm a little scared, but I guess it could be a lot worse?! :-)
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...so I keep telling myself..!

Jess

Re:

Postby trouble on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Jess from 21:23, 10th Jan 2006
great..thank you...Now I must confess I'm a little scared, but I guess it could be a lot worse?! :-)

haha, dont worry about it. McIntosh as a whole is a great place to live. Nowhere's perfect, but be prepared for a lot of yahs in this hall particularly too.
McIntosh has had a reputation for years to be a very social hall. You can see this magic for yourself, just leave your bedroom door open and people will walk in and instantly become your friends. Youre going to love it here.

[hr]

trouble

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:21 pm

Yah's? Social? Hall spirit???

This is McIntosh, St-andrews, Scotland we're talking about right???

From experience last semester, If you can stomach the hall food you'll be fine!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Jess on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:46 pm

hmmmm.....a little confused now....I guess I'll see for myself soon enough, but am just a littl e intreagued as to what your thoughts on McIntosh are now Jono...?

[hr]

Jess

Re:

Postby trouble on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting Jono from 22:21, 11th Jan 2006
Yah's? Social? Hall spirit???

This is McIntosh, St-andrews, Scotland we're talking about right???

From experience last semester, If you can stomach the hall food you'll be fine!

to be fair jono, I have lived here for three semesters now....not just the one....

[hr]

trouble

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:59 pm

IMO Chattan's pretty cool. Most of the people are alright, and you'll definitely make friends quickly. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit more Cliquie now than it used to be. Thats not to say we're not all civil to each other.

Location's great, right in the middle of town. 2 minutes from the union, golf course, beach, Main-street, and all my lecture halls (Which is always good). Its a bit of a walk to the sports center, so not so good if your a fan of fitness (but then, who is).

Only downside is that the food can be a bit crappy at times. Some of its bearable, but stay away from the thai green curry for gods sake!

I also hate the pool table! I live right underneath it!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:34 pm

Quoting Jono from 13:59, 13th Jan 2006
Only downside is that the food can be a bit crappy at times. Some of its bearable, but stay away from the thai green curry for gods sake!

For institutionalised food, it's bloody brilliant. Chattan has won some national award for its food. It has also improved considerably since that time (anyone remember the days of chicken orange, chicken white and chicken yellow?). Compared to some of the gruel-like slop I've been given in other places, mentioning no names (like Owens Park in Manchester), it's culinary heaven.

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 am

I'm with Trouble on this one (of course I would be... ;))

Seriously, it is a great place to live. While it is clique-y (as Jono said) it is certainly no worse than last year IMO. I'm sure you'll find someone to hang out with. Just walk into the common room and you'll find someone...

As for the food... I heard it is actually the best out of all the halls (which slightly worried me) but it is actually edible. Don't expect high class cuisine, or anything nutritious, but it is tolerable. You just hav to know what to avoid. Thai 'grey' curry as mentioned... and any form of chicken fillet IMO... (I'm guessing we haven't actually moved on from the days of 'chicken orange, chicken white, chicken yellow')

[hr]

"I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes"
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting o_t4ng from 02:46, 17th Jan 2006
(I'm guessing we haven't actually moved on from the days of 'chicken orange, chicken white, chicken yellow')

You have no idea...

Ok, so some things are best avoided, but from what I've seen when I've come back over the last two years, standards keep improving.

[/when_i_were_a_lad]

[hr]

...but then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)