Home

TheSinner.net

BBQ's

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

BBQ's

Postby Jono on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:09 pm

I was just at a Barbeque on the cabbage patch and some guy living on hope street came up and told us we weren't supposed to be doing it. Claimed to be responsible for maintaining the standard of the garden or some such. Though he was nice enough to allow us to continue.

Can anyone shed light on this? I thought we were supposed to have rights to use the cabbage patch.

[hr]

Don't mention the Nazi's!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Colin on Mon May 01, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting Jono from 22:09, 30th Apr 2006

Can anyone shed light on this? I thought we were supposed to have rights to use the cabbage patch.

All the residents on each side of it can use it, but there are restrictions on what it can be used for. No BBQs, no ball games. Basically you can sit in it and enjoy it. But not do anything beyond sitting and appreciating. Nice place to revise on a sunny day.
Colin

Re:

Postby trouble on Mon May 01, 2006 2:29 pm

I'm sure it said in our last residence admin email that we were allowed bbqs in the cabbage patch. just as long as we clean up afterwards which is entirely reasonable...

[hr]

"Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do." (APC- pet)

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566
trouble

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Mon May 01, 2006 3:32 pm

Quoting trouble from 15:29, 1st May 2006
I'm sure it said in our last residence admin email that we were allowed bbqs in the cabbage patch. just as long as we clean up afterwards which is entirely reasonable...

[hr]

"Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do." (APC- pet)

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566

Indeed... the last email did specify we could BBQ in the Cabbage Patch, which confused me somewhat since I had heard elsewhere that we weren't allowed to...

Is there any justifiable reason not to allow it... as long as we clean up and don't make excessive noise (not that it makes much difference on Hope Street anyway).
I understand the restrictions on ball games... but a small BBQ...?

[hr]

"I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes"
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby Akasha on Mon May 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Right. Basically McIntosh have access right to the cabbage patch.

However, it is the "Hope Place Alliance" (or somesort of cross between Hope St and Howard Place) that is "in charge" of the Cabbage Patch. Although i'm not entirely sure that they didnt proclaim this themselves...

I used to live on Howard Place and we got their "students are crap" newsletters.

Basically -assuming you dont destroy the grass and you clean up after yourselves and dont make lots of noise - we are perfectly entitled to use the CP.

It's just that the old folks who live nearby hate the students as we are, to be fair, quite disruptive - broken windows, noise at 2am etc

I don't really blame them. The street would be a lot more peaceful without us pesky students.

They cannot evict you from the CP unless you are breaking one of the "rules" (i.e. no ball games) that are clearly signposted on the gates
Akasha

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon May 01, 2006 4:05 pm

I guess the worry is that people will abuse the cabbage patch and not clean up after themselves. I can appreciate that sentiment, but surely they'd give us the benefit of the doubt before hand.

As for hating students, The university has existed for over five hundred years! WTF???

Assuming they do ban us from using them in the future (I can only assume that someone has complained to the wardens by now), what would be the problem in using the garden out the back for barbecue, or indeed for ANYTHING?

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon May 01, 2006 6:12 pm

Quoting Jono from 17:05, 1st May 2006
Assuming they do ban us from using them in the future (I can only assume that someone has complained to the wardens by now), what would be the problem in using the garden out the back for barbecue, or indeed for ANYTHING?

I believe that the garden 'out the back' as in, between the building and North Street, is part of the package that goes with the flat currently occupied by the Residence Manager, but was Dr Fawn's place when I was in subhonours. in which case, students have less claim over it than they do over the cabbage patch, and are only able to access it for the garden party thanks to the RM/Warden granting them permission.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Akasha on Tue May 02, 2006 6:02 pm

what cain said.

round the back is out of bounds unless you have Alison's (Head RM) permission..

... and it's sparing trust me. the only official hall event we are allowed is the garden party - no others :(
Akasha

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 pm

BBQs in the Cabbage Patch are fun. I had one a couple of years back and in a moment of madness gave away about 100 sausages.

with rolls

to randoms

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby liliputian on Tue May 02, 2006 10:00 pm

that was a good bbq. what was even better about it was when evelyn caught me with all the bbq utensils heading out to the cabbage patch she asked if she could have a burger and told us not to budge if the miserable old women from howard place complained as the RMs don't seem to like them much... somthing to do with them refusing permission to plant a tree in memory of a mcintosh student who died. his tree is now just behind the library instead.

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

liliputian

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed May 03, 2006 1:12 am

Next to the path leading to St. katherines Lodge? I didn't realise he was from McIntosh.

Quoting liliputian from 23:00, 2nd May 2006
that was a good bbq. what was even better about it was when evelyn caught me with all the bbq utensils heading out to the cabbage patch she asked if she could have a burger and told us not to budge if the miserable old women from howard place complained as the RMs don't seem to like them much... somthing to do with them refusing permission to plant a tree in memory of a mcintosh student who died. his tree is now just behind the library instead.

[hr]

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed May 03, 2006 5:51 am

look at the Hall photo for 2001-02. He's reclining on the grass in front of the front row.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby liliputian on Wed May 03, 2006 7:12 am

I think his name was Giles. He died in a mountaineering accident in the summer between his first and second year.

[hr]

liliputian

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 am

I notice the "Hope Park (ostensibly the cabbage patch) residence association have put up notices in the glass cases. They really don't say very much at all, short of what we already know. It also reiterates how generous they're being in granting their permission for us to have barbecues so long as they don't cause mess or damage.

The first paragraph interests me. Its nice how they actually acknowledge our part-ownership and rights to the cabbage patch. Then they of course demand we do what they say!

Does McIntosh have any representation on this association? It would be nice if we showed some active interest in the running and maintanence of the patch, rather than just being talked down to and moaned at when anything goes wrong with it.

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Jono

Re:

Postby liliputian on Mon May 08, 2006 2:48 pm

I'll see what I can find out about it...

[hr]

liliputian

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)