Home

TheSinner.net

4am fire alarm

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

4am fire alarm

Postby Jules Watt on Sat May 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Is it only myself, or am I to be joined in my outrage at the improfessional conduct of the wardenial team this morning? Miss Franz appeared to be acting like some crazed school mistress out of her league, threatening a night out in the cold for the whole of hall, then fines for the entirity of A floor on the back of a burnt pancake. "Willful fireraising" would be a case arguable at best, but treating paying customers as infants over whom she asserts control is neither curteous nor proper. I shall be of course writing to Rodger Smith by Monday morning to request that she is given no such position of responsibility next year when she shows herself so susceptible to abusess of it.

Am I alone?
Jules Watt

Re:

Postby October on Sat May 06, 2006 3:03 pm

All of A floor should be fined.
Maybe that way they'll grow up bit.

[hr]

your friendly hall robot
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby lts2 on Sat May 06, 2006 3:25 pm

For anyone who doesn't know...

When we went back upstairs to B floor last night after the fire alarm there were 3 drunken Yah's stumbling about B floor apparently looking for a quick exit. As well as continuing to turn the lights off in the hall so that we 'wouldn't see who they were' it was obvious they weren't from hall. Considering they came down the stone stairs as we were going up to B floor (they must have been on A floor when all of the A floor boys were still outside) I'd imagine that they might have something to do with the smoke in the A floor kitchen. The wardens were chasing them the last I saw last night before going back to bed. So hopefully it was just some drunken idiots from outside of hall, but still, the person who let them in is to blame.
lts2

Re:

Postby October on Sat May 06, 2006 3:48 pm

Quoting lts2 from 16:25, 6th May 2006
3 drunken Yah's stumbling about B floor apparently looking for a quick exit.

Evenmore reason for the lets kill all the Yah's plan.

And yes I do mean that.
And yes I don't care what you say.

[hr]

your friendly hall robot
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat May 06, 2006 4:55 pm

This morning was a pain in the arse! two fire-alarms in 20 hours!!! As has been said before, the fire saftey procedure is a complete pile of tripe. If the alarm went off anywhere outside the hours of 2 and 6 AM, there would be no actual way to know who was there and who wasn't. Unless hall implements some kind of swipe card system, this will not change.

As for unprofessional conduct, I have to disagree. Who do you think gets it in the neck when the fire alarm goes off twice in a row without good cause? It probably wasn't the best course of action to ask us there and then who was responsible, but she has to be able to name that person at some point! Its alright for those of us who can stagger back into hall at 4AM drunk off our faces. Just remember, when the perverbial hits the fan, its the wardens that feel the splashback so that we don't have to. In all probablility, if it wasn't for the wardenial team, we actually would end up burning down the building!

What I'm more concerned with is why everyone seemed to think I had something to do with it!!!

[hr]

I didn't download it guvner. It fell off the back of the Internet!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby lts2 on Sat May 06, 2006 5:50 pm

And also it costs the hall a lot of money each time the fire engines are called out.
lts2

Re:

Postby liliputian on Sat May 06, 2006 8:02 pm

OMG! I actually agree with something Jono has said, and have no desire to correct him on anything. This is a historic day!

[hr]

i know you want the sin but not the sinner...

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
[i:143mmj9f]i know you want the sin but not the sinner...[/i:143mmj9f]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100186
liliputian

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat May 06, 2006 8:27 pm

it happens occasionally. But life would be so boring if there was no conflict.

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sat May 06, 2006 9:07 pm

Quoting Jono from 17:55, 6th May 2006
As for unprofessional conduct, I have to disagree. Who do you think gets it in the neck when the fire alarm goes off twice in a row without good cause? It probably wasn't the best course of action to ask us there and then who was responsible, but she has to be able to name that person at some point!

The likelihood is that by making threats to the effect that expulsion will happen if the perpetrator is found, but community service if they own up immediately people are unlikely to own up, knowing the low likelihood of either. Also ridiculous is threatening to fine people who are innocent, thus reducing the penalty for the guilty party. Wardens are afforded cheap rent in return for acting professionally; keeping people outside at 4:30 am who had nothing to do with the fire alarm is doing nobody favours, and I believe that if A Floor is given a fine, solidarity in non-payment is required.

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Akasha on Sat May 06, 2006 9:23 pm

By fining A-floor she may be hoping someone will "dob their friend in"

Its either Afloor or the hall committee gets fined -> no garden party.

And Jules, your action would be impotent. Jennifer is leaving, weren't you at the leavers drinks?
Akasha

Re:

Postby trouble on Sat May 06, 2006 9:25 pm

I think we can all take a good guess at who it was... I'm thinking a certain resident of A14

[hr]

"Just stay with me, safe and ignorant,
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,
See, they don't give a fuck about you, like I do." (APC- pet)

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100566
trouble

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat May 06, 2006 9:26 pm

Whats the point in that? One, Jennifer is leaving as warden next year. She announced it at the leavers reception! Second, there is approximatly three weeks of our contract remaining! is ten pounds and a sliver of self-respect worth the inevitable disciplinary action at ResBus Level and loss of reference and/or hall places for next year? some of us have to live here next year you know!!!

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat May 06, 2006 9:29 pm

Whats the point in that? One, Jennifer is leaving as warden next year. She announced it at the leavers reception! Second, there is approximatly three weeks of our contract remaining! is ten pounds and a sliver of self-respect worth the inevitable disciplinary action at ResBus Level and loss of reference and/or hall places for next year? some of us have to live here next year you know!!!

In any case, Its not like she did actually keep us out in the cold for a long period of time!! I'm more pissed off at the retard who set it off in the first place!!!

[hr]

Jono

Re:

Postby sartorius on Sat May 06, 2006 10:09 pm

[quote]Quoting trouble from 22:25, 6th May 2006
I think we can all take a good guess at who it was... I'm thinking a certain resident of A14

is there any particular reason for accusing A14 or do you just say that because it probably makes sense anyway?
sartorius

Re:

Postby Don on Sat May 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Jono from 22:29, 6th May 2006
is ten pounds and a sliver of self-respect worth the inevitable disciplinary action at ResBus Level and loss of reference and/or hall places for next year? some of us have to live here next year you know!!!

Bear in mind that people will not be able to graduate/matriculate next term if they have any unpaid fines on their record.

[hr]

Daz, makes your whites #gggggg
Don

Re:

Postby Jess on Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 am

Indeed I agreee that the "lets see if some drunken pancake chef is going to own up to burning the place down infront of 200 people who have just been woken up in the middle of the night and standing in the freezing cold" approach was insane....and also they have no idea who was there, or should be there. Another concern of mine was that there were only a couple of people taking the register in the cabbage patch, so by the time the "fire" had spread the missing person would be unconscious in the A floor corridor after smoke inhalation....a pretty ineffective system...swipe cards would be a very good idea!

[hr]

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...so I keep telling myself..!

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105926
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration...so I keep telling myself..!

Jess

Re:

Postby Jess on Sun May 07, 2006 1:31 am

if they find out who set off the alarm, would that person have to pay the whole of the fine? Surely no incentive to owning up....

[hr]

Jess

Re:

Postby ~Fhqwhgadseverybodytothelimit~ on Sun May 07, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting October from 16:03, 6th May 2006
All of A floor should be fined.
Maybe that way they'll grow up bit.

[hr]

your friendly hall robot

can you guarantee that a resident of a-floor was responsible

can you also guarantee that this fire was not an accident, im not sure how the hall can justify fining anyone for an accidental fire mind you they have started fining people for untidyness which is something which can have no legal standing unless an extreme case.

[Mod edit]
Please include a username for identification purposes.
~Fhqwhgadseverybodytothelimit~

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sun May 07, 2006 8:20 pm

I resent the implication that I should made to pay for something that happened when I was a). sleeping and b). nowhere near A floor. Just because you want a good reference/place in hall in no reason to defame my character by charging me 10 pounds and implying that by living on the same floor as the person who set off the alarm I am as guilty as they are.

[hr]

Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby hopie on Sun May 07, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting Don from 23:34, 6th May 2006
Quoting Jono from 22:29, 6th May 2006
is ten pounds and a sliver of self-respect worth the inevitable disciplinary action at ResBus Level and loss of reference and/or hall places for next year? some of us have to live here next year you know!!!

Bear in mind that people will not be able to graduate/matriculate next term if they have any unpaid fines on their record.

[hr]

Daz, makes your whites #gggggg

and here is the great thing that accomodation services have discovered - fine someone and they have to pay, especially if you only tell them about it TWO DAYS before the end of the final day of term they have no choice but to pay guilty or no

[hr]

Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
hopie

Next

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)