Home

TheSinner.net

Games Competition.

For people in McIntosh Hall (Chattan).

Re:

Postby wally on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:07 pm

I don't know much about all this gaming molarchy but as far as I am aware "playing over the network" includes two types of games - those that you are playing on-line against anyone anywhere with access to the internet and then those that are played against anyone in hall who has the same open ports on the university network.

Last year in hall it was possible to view the iTunes of certain other people in hall depending on open ports and network restrictions.

Disclaimer: That may all be wrong since I don't know anything about computers
wally

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:36 pm

Quoting Jaspar from 04:00, 30th Aug 2006

When you talk about playing the games over the network, are you talking about just playing against other students on the network? Can you still play games online against people in other parts of the world?

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid.

Network gaming, in this instance is purely within the University network... it does include other halls and University buildings. It may be posible to include people outside the network if they find the right ports.

However, proper online gaming... such as Final Fantasy and Guild Wars will probably not work, due to the incredibly tight firewalls in place on the system. As usual, there will be ways around these for those who know how and are willing to risk it... but I'm not one of those people.

As for Leila... yes there was the big petition and as far as I know it was handed over to ITS. This is what promted the 'big meeting' which you may or may not have heard about... it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Anyway, from what I've heard the outcome was that they couldn't do anything about it last year... or something to that effect (basically: no) But as I mentioned earlier they may have implemented some kind of relaxation for this coming session... we shall wait and hope.

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo!
Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Previous

Return to McIntosh Hall (Chattan)